An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gay Bishop

FX2

I would like to point out, hopefully while also avoiding a confrontation, that a bishop who advocates pedophilia would be as wrong as a gay bishop in the eyes of the Catholic Church.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a bishop or priest or religious who might be gay; Fr. Benedict Groeshel said ''who is to say that many of the saints and statues in our churches might have been people with homosexual tendencies'' in an interview on EWTN. It would be better for them to offer their sexual struggle to Jesus rather than act on it and fall into sin. The difference with the Episcopalians is that their bishop is living as an openly gay man with a boyfirend, all the while being a consecrated and ordained bishop of their Church. That's anti-Christian and just plain wrong - misleading the faithful and all.

The whole pedophilia thing is just plain sick. But all in all mortal sin is mortal sin, right?

I would like to point out, hopefully while also avoiding a confrontation, that a bishop who advocates pedophilia would be as wrong as a gay bishop in the eyes of the Catholic Church.

The day a bishop ADVOCATES pedophilia, is the day that good Christians will drag him out of his Chancery by his feet and shame him out of town.

I'm sure they are fully capable of dealing with their own internal issues without Catholic commentary or intervention -- such as the intervention of Cardinal Ratzinger who attended the meeting of the 2600 conservative schismatics.
He didn't attend, he wrote a letter, at the request of a Bishop of the Anglican Communion in Africa. Get your facts straight.

By the way, while we're on this topic... how would the Catholic Church feel if a representative of the Archbishop of Canterbury were to show solidarity with schismatic organizations like Call To Action or the Society of St. Pius X by going to one of their meetings?  Why, then, is it all right for a representative of the pope to go to a meeting of Episcopalian schismatics?  That genuinely confuses me.

Something tells me we wouldn't really care all that much . . . heretics are heretics, no matter their stripes. Only the insecure have anything to fear from falsehood collaborating. The One True Holy Apostolic Catholic Church does not need excercise in paranoia . . . let Canterbury meet our dissenters . . .

I don't think there is anything wrong with a bishop or priest or religious who might be gay; Fr. Benedict Groeshel said ''who is to say that many of the saints and statues in our churches might have been people with homosexual tendencies'' in an interview on EWTN. It would be better for them to offer their sexual struggle to Jesus rather than act on it and fall into sin. The difference with the Episcopalians is that their bishop is living as an openly gay man with a boyfirend, all the while being a consecrated and ordained bishop of their Church. That's anti-Christian and just plain wrong - misleading the faithful and all.

The whole pedophilia thing is just plain sick. But all in all mortal sin is mortal sin, right?

Fr. Benedict is my good friend, and before 1,000 people start condemning him for what he 'said' let me clear. Fr. Groeschel would never say there is not anything wrong with a priest or religious who is gay. Fr. Groeschel would, however, say that if a priest is suffering from same sex attractions that he can and should offer this to God for his sanctification. "Being Gay" implies identifying yourself by your sexuality. This is something no Christian can do in good concsience. That's what Fr. Benedict would say.

Fr. Benedict also notes that there are varying degrees of Same Sex Attraction. Since he believes it is a psychological, emotional, and spiritual disorder he notes that people can have "stronger" and "weaker" same sex attractions. In order for someone to be able to live a life of chaste celibacy in our culture, he needs to pracitce chastity for a good amount of time. Depending how strong the Same Sex Attractions are, would determine how feasible a vocation is.

He does not suggest that people should enter the priesthood if they are struggling with Same Sex Attraction, unless after careful evaluation and spiritual asceticism it is clear that they have a calling.

However, Fr. Benedict is a realist and knows that there are people who are ordained who have Same Sex Attraction. It is the Church's responsibility to help these men to offer their same sex attraction over to God and to be sanctified by their struggle.

All of these thoughts can be found in "The Courage to Be Chaste" and "Reform of Renewal." I wish I could find some articles on line that demonstrate this.

I completely agree with what Fr. Benedict Groshel had to say and your explaination too; I didn't know there was a difference of ''being gay'' and being homosexual, I always used them interchangeably and I won't anymore if people percieve these two words as having different meanings.

didn't that bishop leave his wife and kids to live with the boyfriend? Would ppl be so tolerant if he wished to stay with a "mistress" and STILL wanted to be a bishop? Heck no, but since he's gay that's ok? <_<

sad aint it? I wish i could ask him about all those things in the Bible that say its wrong being gay. I wonder what his response would be....

What I really noticed is that the Episcipailans (Sp?) once turned away from the Church, and now what, they are turning away from the Bible?!?!? What will they have left?

What I really noticed is that the Episcipailans (Sp?) once turned away from the Church, and now what, they are turning away from the Bible?!?!?  What will they have left?

LOL!!! :lol:

J-Boy that was great!! (where'd you hear that line??? ;) ) You literally made me laugh out loud . . . :blink::unsure: . . . then cry for them :ph34r:

this completey off topic and I apologize but the Pier Giorgio quote is amesome BLAZEr!!! My secret goal at phatmass is for everyone to eventually have a Pier Giorgio quote as a signature and start a devotion.

God Bless :lol:

this completey off topic and I apologize but the Pier Giorgio quote is amesome BLAZEr!!! My secret goal at phatmass is for everyone to eventually have a Pier Giorgio quote as a signature and start a devotion.

God Bless  :lol:

lol . . . you know it . . . but first we have to stop your "democrat" inclinations . . . I know, you're a Louisianer, its gonna be hard . . . but say it with me . . . David Duke is not what all Republicans are Like . . . John Breaux is practically a Republican . . . Bobby Jindall is a good Catholic . . . Pier Giorgio is amesome . . .

Edited by BLAZEr