An Old School Catholic Message Board

How did you share with your parents?

DesiringMore

I was just wondering how any of you shared your discernment, decision, etc. with your family and any definite "no" nos concerning telling them.

I basically just answer the questions they ask me. I know that probably doesn't help... I'm not one to look up to for communicational skills as I tend to be really introverted and it's often hard for me to talk about personal things with people. Having supportive parents makes all the difference though. How do your parents feel about the idea? I'd feel them out if you don't already know so that you can know how much you'll be comfortable sharing. You may want to save some things for your spiritual director, at least at first.
Just some suggestions, God bless you!

i am extremely extroverted. The strange thing is my parents understand very little about my faith. Their main concern is that all of a sudden i really can't get enough of going to church. THey aren't standing in the way of anything.

I was just never really able to explain to them what happened at my first search.

well about being introverted I am a step further I have social anxiety disorder and was still able to tell my parents that I wanted to go on a vocation weekend at a local religious order. It kinda scocked them but after that, they just kinda accepted that I am considering a religious vocation.

Well... my situation is very funny. I wa wsa rebelious little mite, with little cares for anything. I woke up one morning, told my mom, she was like ok, and didn't beelive it for a while. If your looking for a heads up, just say it. No one ever sees it comming. Of course if you have a non-American background, you have to consider how much parents value boys vs girls as children, family name, and if your line will be continued. If you are a born American, then your set.

God bless,
Mikey

Then i think you need to look beyond your parents. If this is what Christ is really calling you to then their no is not a good answer. I know that seems harsh, but it is kinda true. If you are called to be a priest for Christ should a simple answer to a question stand in your way?

My advice would be to find a priest who's parents didn't accept his vocation and talk to him about it. I dont know of any off hand, sorry.

i dont remeber i just told them. my dad doesn't understand he see's it as a waste of my life. but my mom is very supportive it is her dream to have a preist and a nun out of her kids.

I'm just preparing to tell them in a few hours. well they already know that priesthood is a option for me that i think is what God is calling to me but also a priest has asked me if i would like to go to a seminary prep high school to help me discern and stuff. My parents aslo knew about this but they don't really know that i now thing God is callind me to go there too. My mom wants to support me but this school is like 6 hours away and i know she'll be that she doesn't want me to go for that reason. So i've been praying for her understanding.

Theologian in Training

My mom asked me. She was convinced I was being called, something told her to ask me, and I told her I was thinking about it.

[quote name='the_rev' date='Jan 27 2005, 09:18 PM'] I am an only child... [/quote]
you are not so young, yet young enough. It is good though that you are already considering it strongly. Simply be open to the movement of the Spirit in your life. God has a plan and if you pray enough, you will find it.