An Old School Catholic Message Board

God Seeking Us?

Paladin D

I've read in some Catholic related documents, that God seeks us? I was always taught, that we should seek God. Or is it both? Him seeking us, and we seeking Him?

How am I able to tell this to people, who do not believe this?

Maybe I'm just confused and taking things out of context. :lol:

Jake Huether

God is always seeking us!

But if we're not paying attention to him, we won't know it.

So it's a catch 22. He's seeking us, but it's not like He's hitting us over the head with a bat. God constantly has His eye on us, waiting for us to finally understand that He wants us!

So, indeed it must be a two way street. God seeks us, and we seek Him, and that is how we meet and become friends!

Like a baby playing hide and seek, right? He hides say behind a couch. You are seeking him and find him, but he's looking around the other side of the couch wating for you. So he doesn't know your seeking him even though you really are. When he turns around and finally sees you then he'll know. But he has to turn around first.

Theologian in Training

Francis Thompson, "The Hound of Heaven."

"Ah, fondest, blindest, weakest,

I am He Whom thou seekest!

Thou dravest love from thee, who dravest Me."

Hound of Heaven

God Bless

Cure of Ars

Francis Thompson, "The Hound of Heaven."

"Ah, fondest, blindest, weakest,

I am He Whom thou seekest!

Thou dravest love from thee, who dravest Me."

Hound of Heaven

God Bless

Hay I was going to say that. You beat me to it.

"There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh afer God."Rom 3:11

Romans 3:11-18 - These are poetic elements that St. Paul quoted from various writings in the Greek Septuagint OT (I have the citations, but I won't burden you with them). He has woven these elements together to illustrate the universal need for salvation. Paul knew the Septuagint well, since these were the Scriptures he and others had learned from childhood (see 2 Tim 3:14-17).

The Bible contains many literary genres: history, figures of speech, parables, allegories, beast fables, short stories, historical novels, problem stories, songs, to name only a few.

Poetry in the Bible is still poetry, and is not meant to be taken literally.

The New Testament is not an instruction book in Christianity. The Revelation of Christ was "once for all handed down to the saints" (Jude 3) by the Apostles. The Catholic Church is the recipient of the Depositum Fidei (Deposit of Faith). She is author of the NT, and the guardian, perserver, protector, and interpreter of the Bible. She is nearly four centuries older than the NT and the Bible.

Private interpretion is hazardous to one's soul. :)

John 6:44

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him, and I will raise him on the last day.

John 15:16

It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you.

God Bless, Love in Chirst & Mary

ironmonk

Militia Immaculata

God sought Adam and Eve in the garden. Gen. 3:8

Then they heard the voice of God in the garden and they hid themselves. God called to Adam: "where are you?" Adam replied: "I heard You, but I hid myself because I have no clothes."

Jesus refers to Himself as the Good Shepherd, who would leave the 99 to seek the one lost sheep.

"For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost" Luke 19:10

Yes, I think it's safe to say that God seeks us. :rolleyes:

Pax Christi. <><