An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Strongest Dioceses In The Us....

VeraMaria

ohh yeah... New Olreans is home to Bl. Fancis Seelos, was a home to St. Katherine Drexel, St. Francis Cabrini, and Servant of God Henriette Delille. Bl. Francis Seelos has a beautiful shrine at St. Mary's Assumption Church in New Orleans where he is buried. Our football team was even named the New Orleans SAINTS after the city's Catholic heritage.

post-2-1066883240.jpg

The Archdiocese of New Orleans is the most rockin' diocese in the United States! It's the only city in the US where there is a Catholic institution on almost every corner and where almost all restaurants have a lenten menu and where everyone in the city has ashes on their heads on Ash Wednesday. Also it's cool b/c if you use public transportation, almost everyone sitting in the street cars and buses uniformly make the sign of the cross when speeding past Catholic Churches. There are  Three Catholic Universities and Notre Dame Seminary and a million Catholic schools and high schools to chose from. There are numerous traditional, life teen, charismatic, african american, and bilingual masses to chose from, and I think our city has the prettiest and biggest churches in the entire United States b/c our bishops haven't gotten too liberal yet  :lol: . Our 200 yr old St. Louis Cathedral is the oldest and most amesome in the United States and we have the biggest Carnival celebration in the northern hemisphere.

It's also one of the few cities where you can find a mass to go to on almost every hour from 8am to 9pm on Sundays.

''In a Catholic city (country) one will find good music, dancing and fine wine!"

Yup . .. and Nawlin's Mardi Gras is practically a Rosary Procession!!! :lol::lol::lol:

And all those Voodo Shops in the Quarter, well, they're just for tourists right??? :P

And there is absolutely NO tradition of Prostitution in New Orleans, and those that are prostitutes take Good Friday off right? :rolleyes:

And Mary Landrieu, Madame Pro-Abortion Catholic Senator . . . she's an old New Orleans family right?

:blink:

Just teasing of course . . . :P

ok . . . so maybe a thousand people are gonna disagree, but I think Arlington was great under its last bishop and especially its last vocation director, but I think the jury is  still out in my mind on Loverde . . . I'm sure some people up in New York can tell us more about him . ..

I agree re: Bishop Loverde. He inherited an orthodox diocese; but can't really take credit for creating the faithfulness. I suppose a good way to judge him would be to read his contributions to the Arlington Catholic Herald (his sermons appear each week). Arlington Catholic Herald

When I was a kid, Father Gould (The previous Arlington vocation director you mentioned) was one of our priests at our Parish (Holy Spirit in Annandale, VA). He is amesome! Lately, I see him on EWTN once in a while.

A tragic related event: Father Gould, when he was at Holy Spirit, served under our main pastor Msgr. James McMurtrie. Msgr. McMurtrie just passed away this week (as mentioned in the Arlington Catholic Herald). Please keep him in your prayers.

In Christ,

Mateo

I agree re: Bishop Loverde.  He inherited an orthodox diocese; but can't really take credit for creating the faithfulness.  I suppose a good way to judge him would be to read his contributions to the Arlington Catholic Herald (his sermons appear each week).  Arlington Catholic Herald

When I was a kid, Father Gould (The previous Arlington vocation director you mentioned) was one of our priests at our Parish (Holy Spirit in Annandale, VA).  He is amesome!  Lately, I see him on EWTN once in a while.

A tragic related event:  Father Gould, when he was at Holy Spirit, served under our main pastor Msgr. James McMurtrie.  Msgr. McMurtrie just passed away this week (as mentioned in the Arlington Catholic Herald).  Please keep him in your prayers.

In Christ,

Mateo

prayers going to heaven right now for Msrg McMurtie's soul . . .

And I like Bishop Loverde's column . . . but unfortunatley I say the proof is in the pudding . . . or the decision making in the diocese . . . Ive heard a good sermon preached and then seen bishops appoint active homosexuals or dissenitng nuns to jobs in the diocese . . .

Ora Pro Nobis, Maria Regina Presbytorum!!

Sioux Falls has good youth ministry along with huge seminarians.

Did they used to play football or do they just eat a lot????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup . .. and Nawlin's Mardi Gras is practically a Rosary Procession!!!   

And all those Voodo Shops in the Quarter, well, they're just for tourists right??? 

And there is absolutely NO tradition of Prostitution in New Orleans, and those that are prostitutes take Good Friday off right? 

And Mary Landrieu, Madame Pro-Abortion Catholic Senator . . . she's an old New Orleans family right?

Just teasing of course . . . 

Ooooo... that was a hit below the belt :lol::lol::lol:

Our other Catholic senator is John Breaux and he's a good Catholic politician and the French Quarter (I'm guessing you mean Bourbon St. specifically w/ the voodoo stuff) is only one small section of the French Quarter, and a minute street in a Big Catholic City. The French Quarter is also the location of our Cathedral, two Catholic schools, three parishes, two convents, a shrine to St. Ann and a church with 24hr adoration of the Bl. Sacrament - those aspects usually aren't shown on the Girls Gone Wild comercials. Mardi Gras isn't all what you see on tv, it's a city-wide celebration and the only parts that are shown on tv are in the smutty area's of the city like Bourbon St. And yes, we are still the BEST Archdiocese in the USA.

ok . . . I'll give you props and you last bishop was a holy holy man . . . too bad the seminary there in the 80's was called "Notre Flame"

Anyway . . . I'll give New Orleans props, as soon as I get out and visit again . . . the last time i went I was not quite interested in 24 hour Adoration . .. . more the Girls Gone Wild thing . . .

Oh Happy Grace!

Blazer you were into that girls gone wild stuff...Being a girl i am intersted to know what/how you lived your life before your change of heart. I really have never heard a girls story before all males.

Anybody heard anything about my Diocese? Which would be Lansing, Michigan?

Our previous Bishop Kenneth Povish was adored, and our current Bishop seems to be of the same vein, Bishop Carl Mengeling.

C'mon, Vianney, isn't your roomate from Lansing?

Anybody heard anything about my Diocese?  Which would be Lansing, Michigan?

Our previous Bishop Kenneth Povish was adored, and our current Bishop seems to be of the same vein, Bishop Carl Mengeling.

C'mon, Vianney, isn't your roomate from Lansing?

My very Holy and Orthodox priest friend is a good friend of Bishop Mengeling . . . he has very high things to say about him. He says that his most precious gift to your diocese is that he is a man of deep prayer and compassion. A man who will imbue your diocese with a strong spirituality. I think those are high marks!!

My very Holy and Orthodox priest friend is a good friend of Bishop Mengeling . . . he has very high things to say about him. He says that his most precious gift to your diocese is that he is a man of deep prayer and compassion. A man who will imbue your diocese with a strong spirituality. I think those are high marks!!

amesome!

I have to say that your friend's remarks are great to hear. That is the impression I've received about him as well.

Cool beans. How lucky am I?

Great diocese, Great Bishop, Great Parish (Holy Rosary!) and Great Priest!

Yes. My roomate is a seminarian for your diocese. I wont give you his name but if you looked hard enough you will find out who i am talking about. I think your diocese has a poster of all the seminairians and he is on it. Your diocese is in good hands, Bishop Mengeling is great. He is in line with the Church which is why he is sending seminarians to the most orthodox minor seminary in America.

There is a diocese in Michigan though that is horrible. I cant remeber the name.