An Old School Catholic Message Board

Monasterys of different orders

karin

Hey guys,
My mom wants me to check out other orders besides just the Dominicans which are the ones i want to go to. So can y'all give me websites for a bunch of different orders so i can find out information about all of them?

God Bless
Karin

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I can list several Carmels for you that are on the web... :D

Also, there is a very handy website, and you are looking for like cloistered/contemplative monasteries, correct?

If yes, than here is where you can check some really cool orders/communities out. I really love this list since I found it.

Here it is: [url="http://www.carmelitehermitage.com/RC_W_Cloistered.htm"]Right Here :)[/url]

Edited by FutureNunJMJ

www.cmswr.org has many different sisters communities. There are basic requirements of being in the CMSWR including wearing the habit, faithfulness to the magisterium etc. Where are you located? Where would you be interested in persuing your vocation? I hope i can help more.

in Christ and Mary,
fr. Matt

Birgitta Noel

Karin,

Check out the Sisters of St. John, their website is www.stjean.com. Their Novitiate is in Princeville IL and they are contemplative, though not cloistered. They live a beautiful life. I told my husband after spending a weekend at the guest house that it was a good thing I never went to stay before I was married or he might still be single! LOL

Let me know if you want more info on them and I can get some for you :)

I said this somewhere else, but I would [b]not[/b] recommend using Vision as a resource. No offense to anyone, but they mix together faithful and nonfaithful orders so things can be extremely confusing with them.

I think the link that FutureNunJMJ posted is pretty good, personally :)

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Feb 5 2005, 02:04 PM'] I think the link that FutureNunJMJ posted is pretty good, personally :) [/quote]
I really liked it too! It helped that they have the orders seperated by apostolate...

Also there is a Guide to Religious Ministies I think it is called... It is a book put out... you'd have to find one. I would think that any Parish would have one. There are MANY orders and COmmunities listed in there, but you have to be careful considering that there isn't much written about each community. And only a small portion are on the web.

• 1 year later...
Laurentina1975

Karen,

There will be lots of great communities (more traditional, all habited) at the IRL this year April 22, 2006. I bet if you came down you could stay at Mundelien Seminary, even if you came for one day. Then you could meet all different Sisters from everywhere all in like a one shot deal.

I hear the Panhandle Franciscans are gonna be there!

God bless and Mary keep,
Lauren

Marieteresa

wowzer this is an old post since Karin has already made her decision of where she will be entering. Iam pretty sure her mind is set on the Dominicans.

In JMJ