An Old School Catholic Message Board

Signs of A Religious Vocation

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Feb 6 2005, 01:59 AM']I have never experienced number 10...  I have been open to God's will for a long time and I have embraced this calling!  Hmmmm...  :thinking:
[right][snapback]514994[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Im' totally like you. :D: I have always tried to be open to God's Will. I don't want my will at all, I wish I didn't have one.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Feb 26 2005, 03:22 PM']That's funny, because the silliest minute detail that I'm dreading about entering anywhere, as I'm not really looking into any discalced orders, is that I will have to wear shoes all the time. I hate shoes with a passion. :P
[right][snapback]535312[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol_roll: I have to say I don't like shoes.... but not with a passion :lol:

Thanks for finding this again FutureNun! i think I went through the fear explained in #10 especially at the beginning of the discernment bcause it was such a radical shift from where I thought my life was going. But I guess, in a way, God had prepared me by opening my heart to the idea from an early age and I guess it'd been in the back of my mind. So even though in undergrad I wasn't discerning exactly, I was growing in my love of the Lord and the Church. When I first started discerning, there was certainly a sense of "Why can't I get this out of my head?!" And once I became less fearful of the unknowness and really sit and prayed over the idea, I grew to love it!

LOL The first time I ever visited a convent, I did so with much trepidation because we didn't have sisters with habits in our diocese at the time, and I was unsure what this meant, this calling, this nudging of mine that I was to offer my life up as a Bride of Christ. I wanted to do His will, but hadn't a clue what that meant and wondered 'what I got myself into'. I was shaking when visiting the sisters! I was so nervous!

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 13 2006, 10:51 AM']LOL The first time I ever visited a convent, I did so with much trepidation because we didn't have sisters with habits in our diocese at the time, and I was unsure what this meant, this calling, this nudging of mine that I was to offer my life up as a Bride of Christ.  I wanted to do His will, but hadn't a clue what that meant and wondered 'what I got myself into'.  I was shaking when visiting the sisters!  I was so nervous!
[right][snapback]910210[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Haha! That was totally my experience too! I almost chickened out and didn't gob, but I'm sure glad I didn't.

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Feb 1 2005, 11:39 AM']Signs of a Religious Vocation

1. A desire to have a religious vocation, together with the impression that God is calling one to His service. This desire is most strongly felt when the soul is calm.

2. A growing attraction for prayer and holy things in general, together with a longing for a hidden life and a desire to be more closely united with God.

3. A conviction of the emptiness of the world and of its insufficiency to satisfy the soul. This feeling is often strongest felt in the midst of worldly amusements.

4. A longing to sacrifice oneself and abandon all for the love Jesus Christ.

5. A longing for God's glory, a realization of the value of immortal souls, and a desire to cooperate in their salvation.

6. A willingness to be received in any capacity is a proof of a real vocation.

7. The happiness which the thought of religious life brings, its helps, its peace, its merits, and its reward.

8. A desire to atone for sin, to make reparation.

9. A desire to devote one's whole life to obtain the conversion of sinners.

10. It is sometimes the sign of a vocation when a person fears that God may be calling her; when she prays not to have it and cannot banish the thought from her mind. If the vocation is sound, it will eventually give place to attraction. Though St. Thomas explains that one need not havce a natural inclination for the religious life; on the contrary, a Divine vocation is suitable with a natural distaste for that state
[right][snapback]510366[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

for me, #1 I can relate to. #2 is totally like me :topsy: #3 just like Lauren, after the experience if over, I reflect back on it and take notice of this. #4 again, allot like me. #'s 5-6-7-8-9 all like me. All excpet # 10. I never went through that, and I hope I never will. The thought of my vocation has always been such a pleasant one. I fear of loosing it though I know if I have one it will never go away.

Dust's Sister

Signs of a Religious Vocation

[b]1. A desire to have a religious vocation, together with the impression that God is calling one to His service. This desire is most strongly felt when the soul is calm.[/b] yes, I've felt this before

[b]2. A growing attraction for prayer and holy things in general, together with a longing for a hidden life and a desire to be more closely united with God.[/b] yes, I've definatly felt this before. I find myself going to adoration more and more.

[b]3. A conviction of the emptiness of the world and of its insufficiency to satisfy the soul. This feeling is often strongest felt in the midst of worldly amusements.[/b] yes, I definatly feel this one also. I feel our world is too much into materialistic things, that people should realize how lucky they are to even have a house to live in.

[b]4. A longing to sacrifice oneself and abandon all for the love Jesus Christ.[/b] I'm not sure what this one means

[b]5. A longing for God's glory, a realization of the value of immortal souls, and a desire to cooperate in their salvation.[/b] yup.

[b]6. A willingness to be received in any capacity is a proof of a real vocation.[/b] Yes I am.

[b]7. The happiness which the thought of religious life brings, its helps, its peace, its merits, and its reward.[/b] my happiness is the thought of being a great saint.. not specifically of a religious life but I want to be a saint.

[b]8. A desire to atone for sin, to make reparation.[/b]... I think yes..

[b]9. A desire to devote one's whole life to obtain the conversion of sinners.[/b] definatly yes

[b]10. It is sometimes the sign of a vocation when a person fears that God may be calling her; when she prays not to have it and cannot banish the thought from her mind. If the vocation is sound, it will eventually give place to attraction. Though St. Thomas explains that one need not havce a natural inclination for the religious life; on the contrary, a Divine vocation is suitable with a natural distaste for that state[/b] I don't pray not to have a vocation, I just pray for his Will to be Done. But sometimes I actually fear he's calling me to the marriage life to tell you the truth, because I don't know if I can handle kids.......

to abandon all and sacrifice oneself for the love of God means to me, to give up all worldy things first. All your possessions. Everything that is material that has no merit to your soul. Secondly, give yourself. Give your free will, you understanding, your knowlege, your memory, your intellect, everything, to God to be guided by His holy will. I want to be nothing, I want to be known as nothing, I want to be God's spouse, and nothing more. Live in sacrifices for the repartion for sinners, and live in union with God, in adoration, devotion and love of God. This is what it means to give yourself fully to God. Give up all else but Him. This is what I desire.

Dust's Sister

you live in Texas! we should talk!

here is what I wrote a while back...
I call it the Lord's Work.

I want to work for the Lord, not the world. I'm tired of my job. I don't know of any other jobs I would want. I just don't think I'm good enough for any worldly jobs, but I would love to work for the Lord. The Lord is my Master, he's the Creator. He's the one who made all things possible. Lord, I will work for you one day. I think we work for you everyday but we don't spend as much devotion to our work as we should. But I Lord want to show that devotion to you every single day. I am willing to give up my life for you. Lord, can I work for you forever? I want to show what I can do for you, what my service is to others. I want to work for others because you are the one who Created them. Lord, I want to be like you, please let your face shine through mine.

Lori, I couldn't have said it any better. . . To be alone with the Alone. To His friend, when He has so few. To be used by Him who created us. :love: