An Old School Catholic Message Board

Competition between the two

Paladin D

I feel as if there is some sort of competition between the Diocesan and Religious priesthood. Are those in religious orders somehow "superior" to those in the diocesean priesthood, or vice versa?

Edited by Paladin D

I really have no idea, but my friends discerning the priesthood don't discern with my diocese because it's not orthodox. That's all I can think of, though.

Being both a diocesan seminarian who has looked at the religious life and also a diocesan seminarian who studies at a benedictine seminary I see no competition between the two.. They are simply seperate ways of life. I have a friend that is a diocesan seminarian now but is planning on joining the monastery this summer. It's all about what you are called to do.. It woud be rediculous to have "competition" between two ways of llife and different calling.

In the peace of Christ,
Tony

I'm assuming one advantage of being in a religious order is you're part of a community, so it has more of a [b]"brotherhood"[/b] bond compared to the diocesan priesthood.

Do diocesan priests experience a similar "brotherhood" bond, compared to those in a religious order?

Yes the Diocesan priesthood has a brotherhood! Many of these priests went to school together, have known eachother a long time, and see eachother many times throughout the year (at least in my diocese) and form a very strong bond. Many dioceses have priest support groups where they meet often. Of course it's not the same as a monastery where you live together, but that has its advantages too. Community life doesn't always mean getting along.

Peace,
Tony

[quote name='PaxVobis' date='Feb 3 2005, 07:11 PM'] Community life doesn't always mean getting along. [/quote]
That would make a great, clean comedy film.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know about that. :)

well said Tony!

One doesn't enter religious life/community life to make friends with those they live with. If it does happen, thanks be to God!!! But rather they enter into relationships with other men(or women...i don't want to be sexist) and they become brothers (or sisters.) There is a certain depth I have with my brothers in community that I don't even have with my best friends. And for the original question, there might be some competation between some dios and some religious, but I see it as we are all playing on the same team for the same coach. we might have different positions but God needs a pitcher, a right fielder, and 3rd baseman. Each has a seperate special role that only they can fulfill. It can be a disaster when a pitcher tries to hit or the DH tries to pinch run. I hope the analogy isn;'t to bad, but all our vocations when lived to their best complement each other quite well!

in Christ and Mary,
fr. Matt, ofm conv.

[quote name='friarMatt' date='Feb 3 2005, 09:39 PM'] well said Tony!

One doesn't enter religious life/community life to make friends with those they live with. If it does happen, thanks be to God!!! But rather they enter into relationships with other men(or women...i don't want to be sexist) and they become brothers (or sisters.) There is a certain depth I have with my brothers in community that I don't even have with my best friends. And for the original question, there might be some competation between some dios and some religious, but I see it as we are all playing on the same team for the same coach. we might have different positions but God needs a pitcher, a right fielder, and 3rd baseman. Each has a seperate special role that only they can fulfill. It can be a disaster when a pitcher tries to hit or the DH tries to pinch run. I hope the analogy isn;'t to bad, but all our vocations when lived to their best complement each other quite well!

in Christ and Mary,
fr. Matt, ofm conv. [/quote]
Nicely said!

argent_paladin

I would say that there is some friendly, humorous competition. When we visited the seminary (we were novices) we ribbed them about not having to take a vow of poverty because they had leather-uphostered chairs, a beautiful library, a coke machine (!), etc. I think this springs from a healthy love of one's brethren. We had the same friendly "competition" with franciscans (especially the FFRs) and, of course, the Jesuits.
Zach
Former Dominican brother