An Old School Catholic Message Board

Atrocities Vs. Catholics

ICTHUS

LOL, Thanks Vera!!

I made a few changes to it though.

1. I thought that the hanging of a six year old girl was something that no one, not even Oliver Cromwell, would order. He was hateful and bigoted, but he was not the devil incarnate (I dont think), and neither were his men. So I deleted that bit, and had them send her to an orphanage.

2. I described Oliver Cromwell as a "zealously anti-Catholic Presbyterian" as opposed to a "Presbyterian zealot who hated the Catholic Church with a passion". in my introduction. (the assignment is that its like youre submitting a short story for a short story competition and then putting it in the newspaper)

I wanted my language to imply that I did not consider all Presbyterians (or Protestant Christians for that matter) anti-Catholic, nor murderous zealots, but only that Oliver Cromwell was a murderous Presbyterian zealot.

If that makes any sense....

As I wrote in my introduction.....

The story, set in 1641 just after the Ulster Uprising, gives a fictional, yet historically realistic account of the barbarity with which Oliver Cromwell, who was a zealously anti-Catholic Presbyterian who persecuted Irish Catholics, starving and in some cases, deposing them from their homes and murdering them. My purpose in writing this story is NOT to bag out Protestantism, (which I would never intentionally do)  but instead to “even the playing field” a bit by reminding my readers that there is more than one side to a story, and to tell the Irish side of the story of “Ulsters Aftermath” – the side that doesn’t get revealed in the history books about Cromwell’s conquest of Ireland – that of the hardship endured by the Irish, and of the martyrs who died rather than give up their faith.”

cmotherofpirl

During the "potato famine", the English would come around with pots of hot soup and offer it to the children if they would renounce their faith.

cmotherofpirl

This from another website, written by an irish woman:

On the 11th. Sept. 1649, Oliver Cromwell carried out a dreadful Slaughter of Catholics in Drogheda, Ireland. The entire uirban garrison was summarily massacred and all religious were instantly put to the sword. The carnage continued for 7 days. There was no mercy for Catholics. Houses, warehouses, churches, convents, even crypts were searched and men, women and children were butchered without pity. Civilians who took refuge in the wooden steeple of St. Peter's church were burned alive by Cromwell's men in their zeal for the 'gospel.' At least 4,000 Catholics were martyred during that terrible week. The infamy of this and other bloodbaths carried out by Cromwell in Ireland in the name of Protestantism, not least the mass murder of 200 Catholics in Wexford town, ensures that his name is still reviled here among ordinary people.

The persecution of Catholics in Ireland continued for centuries and anti-Catholic legislation in the form of the Penal Laws remained in force in Britain until the 1960's. In spite of that, Ireland is still Catholic and will remain so. Persecution by Protestants has only made the Faith stronger here. Oppression by law, murder, brutality, the outlawing of the Mass and the martyrdom of priests could not extinguish the flame that St. Patrick lit in 432.

Such institutionalised discrimination against Catholics in the islands of Ireland and Britain meant that the Catholic Church was destroyed in England and Wales and virtually wiped out in Scotland. The children of Catholic families there were often removed and became charges of the State. In spite of that, some families clung to the Faith. In spite of everything, they kept the Faith hearing Mass but once a year. There were many like them in England, Scotland and Wales, God bless them.

A ferocious witchhunt was carried out in Scotland by Protestants from 1590 to the late 1700's and even later. There were witchhunts in England as well all carried out by Protestants. At least 2,500 so called witches were cruelly totured and burned at the stake.

So, those Protestants who seek to indict the Catholic Church, remember that there are logs in your own eyes. The savage treatment you handed out to Catholics in Britain and Ireland will forever tell against you. Before you point the finger at the Catholic Church, remember the crimes that Protestants have committed. The history of Protestantism in this part of the world is not a pretty thing, believe you me and those who live in glass houses can ill afford to throw stones.

cmotherofpirl

The word "deformers" is so ridiculously disrespectful. The Holy Father would not approve. Nor would Jesus.

And you think "reformers" is an accurate description?

And you think "reformers" is an accurate description?

inDouche. My judgement stands. The Protestant DEFORMERS.

But unfortunatly, I had to put "Reformers" in my assignment, to make it "politically correct" (*barfs* on political correctness)

I handed it on on Monday. Pray that my teacher gives it a good mark!!!

Also, that took a lot of guts because I go to an Anglican school. Handing in a project like that could get interesting. I didnt implicate Anglicanism though, which kinda saves my butt in a way.

But yeah...

The word "deformers" is so ridiculously disrespectful.

Deform: (verb) to twist, distort; wrest; pervert; make formless; disfigure; assume a different shape or form; To render displeasing; to deprive of comeliness, grace, or perfection; to dishonor; "the heat deformed the plastic sculpture"

Reform: (noun) a change for the better as a result of correcting

abuses; "justice was for sale before the reform of the law courts" (health care reform, welfare reform, etc.)

Only a protestant could sincerely call the protestant revolt a "reformation," using these dictionary definitions.

The Holy Father would not approve. Nor would Jesus.
I hardly think the Holy Father or Jesus would support the "Reformation!" :P

Pax Christi. <><

Edited by Anna

I didn't say that Jesus or the Holy Father supported the Reformation. Calling it the "deformation" or calling the Reformers (regardless of your opinion of them, the fact is that there WAS widepsread corruption in the church) "deformers" is a disrespect to another person's faith, the faith of our brothers and sisters in Christ no less. If you feel that strongly about them, but also want to be respectful and charitable, put "so-called" in front of "reformers." Attacking another person's religion to promote your own is truly sad (I've been guilty of it myself in the past). Responding to criticisms of the Catholic Church and her children by attacking non-Catholics is very immature, and not very Christian. Don't stoop to their level, but rather respond in charity.