An Old School Catholic Message Board

Maronite Rite

VeraMaria

There is a church in the neighborhood called "Our Lady of Lebanon Catholic Church" and under that it says "Maronite Rite".

What's the "Maronite Rite"?? What's the deal with Catholic-Maronite??

Just curious. :D

It's an eastern rite of the Church established in the middle east by the apostles who were living in Palestine. They are headed by their own Maronite Patriarch, who is a also a Cardinal and loyal to the Pope. Their liturgy is Eastern too, and I'm not sure if they have married priests or not. I think EWTN.com has a pretty lengthy discription of what the Eastern Rite CHurches are all about. Whenever I'm in doubt, I always check them out. (that rhymed, hehehehe...)

God Bless :D

The Maronites are a rite of the Eastern Catholic Church. They are in full Communion with Rome. In other words, you could go to their service and receive Communion and still be in good standing with the Roman Catholic Church. Likewise, they could receive Communion in your Latin Rite Church. They are actually one of few Eastern Churches, I believe, that never left communion with Rome. You can get more info at www.maronite.org.

It's an eastern rite of the Church established in the middle east by the apostles who were living in Palestine. They are headed by their own Maronite Patriarch, who is a also a Cardinal and loyal to the Pope. Their liturgy is Eastern too, and I'm not sure if they have married priests or not. I think EWTN.com has a pretty lengthy discription of what the Eastern Rite CHurches are all about. Whenever I'm in doubt, I always check them out. (that rhymed, hehehehe...)

God Bless :D

I am not Maronite myself but my mother is. The religion was founded by St. Maroun (of Syria I believe). They have married priests. My aunt told me before St. Maroun came peeps in Lebaland used to worship the sun and other stuff. God used St. Maroun to get more peeps in Lebanon and in Syria (maybe other places) to Christ.

Oh, do go visit the Maronites! Their Liturgy is exquisite! It's in Syrian and Aramaic (the homily is usually in English). Since Jesus spoke Aramaic, you can hear His words echoing down through the centuries at the consecration -- "This is my body" -- I've got goosebumps just thinking of it.

It's profoundly reverent, and the 'kiss of peace' is very ritualistic -- I love it!

This is an Eastern Catholic Church that has never been separated from Rome.

Ave Cor Mariae, Katholikos

Cool! I thought it was like the Greek or Russian Orthodox churches. But then I thought "It says CATHOLIC hurch and maronite RITE", just like the Anglican Rite churches, which are still in full communion with Rome!

I'll see if i can go to one of their masses. :D

We also have an "Our Lady of Lebanon" church, that is maronite here. I've always thought about going. Maybe I will.

But no report, cmom! LOL

Cool! I thought it was like the Greek or Russian Orthodox churches. But then I thought "It says CATHOLIC hurch and maronite RITE", just like the Anglican Rite churches, which are still in full communion with Rome!

I'll see if i can go to one of their masses. :D

For readers who may not know, the Church of England split from Rome in 1534 when Henry VIII made himself -- not the Pope -- its supreme authority. The Anglican Rite was recently reestablished in the Catholic Church when certain groups came home to Rome. But the Maronites have always been Catholic.

I am not Maronite myself but my mother is. The religion was founded by St. Maroun (of Syria I believe). They have married priests. My aunt told me before St. Maroun came peeps in Lebaland used to worship the sun and other stuff. God used St. Maroun to get more peeps in Lebanon and in Syria (maybe other places) to Christ.

Cool, It's good to see other Maronites (or at least descendents of) out there. My grandparents were Maronites. They came here from Lebanon (Biblos/Jbayl). A lot of Church history in Lebanon...

God bless!

Mateo

From The Eastern Catholic FAQ:

In large part because of this forum, we visited today a Maronite Rite church and will attend the Divine Liturgy this weekend. Can you tell us a bit more about this rite, it's history and what we may expect?

The Maronite Catholic Church was founded in the Fourth century by St. Maron, an influential monastic leader. They have never been out of communion with Rome, although communication was interrupted for many years due to geography. The Eucharistic Liturgy is a variation of the Liturgy of St. James, with some Latin traditions mixed in. In the twelfth century the Maronites came into contact with French crusaders, and as a result many Latin customs and traditions became incorporated into their worship. Since Vatican II, much of the original Syriac tradition has been restored to the Liturgy.

You will not find an iconostasis, as that is a Byzantine usage. Instead, you will find a very intricate but beautiful liturgy, which makes much use of the poetry of St. Ephraim. The Eucharistic prayer (anaphora) is said in Aramaic, which is the language spoken by Jesus! Communion is distributed by dipping the Body into the Precious Blood, and placing it on the communicant's tongue by hand. I hope that you have a wonderful visit.

What is the Maronite Divine Office like? Is is much like the Latin Liturgy of the Hours?

There is a considerable difference between the Maronite Divine Office and the Latin Liturgy of the Hours. Although I have never prayed the Maronite Divine Office, I hear that it is extremely beautiful. In the Maronite Church Vespers is called "Ramsho" and Matins is called "Safro."

You can order a nice two-volume set of the Maronite Divine Office. This set, which is remarkably inexpensive, is called "Eyes of the Heart." It is published by the Maronite Voice, an eparchial newspaper. You can order it from Fr. George Sebaali, at (804) 270-7234 or by e-mail at gmsebaali@aol.com.

My question concerns ecclesiastical titles in the Maronite Church. What are the various offices and ranks of this Church and what are the titles to both verbally address (e.g. Your Excellency) and to address in writing (e.g. Most Reverend)

The head of the Maronite Catholic Church is a Patriarch. The current leader is Patriarch Nasrallah Sfeir, who has reigned since 1986. He is addressed as "Your Beatitude."

The Maronite Church also has chorbishops. Here is what Mr. Lance Weakland says about chorbishops:

"In regards to chorbishops what you wrote was true, chorbishops were the equivalent of a Latin auxillary bishop with the appointment of episcopal vicar. However, in current Eastern Catholic practice, the office of chorbishop is much like our office of archimandrite and does not include episcopal consecration. It is conferred during the liturgy and the recipient is given use of some pontifical insignia like the gold pectoral cross, ring, crosier, and masnaphtho (amice-like hood). He may or may not have added office or jurisdiction like protosyncellus (vicar general) or syncellus (episcopal vicar). Currently this title is used among the Maronites, Syrians, Malankars, and Chaldeans."

I believe that otherwise the Maronites use the same titles that are found in the Latin Church.

Of all the Eastern Churches, why is it that the Maronite Church hasn't produced as may icons as the Byzantine or Melkite Churches?

Actually, the Maronite Church does have its own distinctive style of iconography. Unfortunately, because of the Crusades and the resulting influence of French culture in Lebanon, much of the Maronite iconographic tradition was lost and replaced with Western statues. Thus, today many Maronite Churches have no iconography and only use statues.

The Second Vatican Council requires all Eastern Catholic Churches to recapture their authentic traditions, even those that have apparently been lost. For the Maronite Church this includes recapturing its tradition of iconography. I have heard of some places where this is occuring, but progress is slow. Hopefully more young Maronites will come to realize the value of this tradition, and will take steps to restore it.

- - - - - - - - - -

If you're interested in learning more about Eastern Catholicism, I would recommend checking out the From East to West website. I found it while looking for Catholic websites at Catholic Culture (formerly PetersNet), and it has the green light for fidelity. I have to admit that before going to this website, I didn't know much at all about Eastern Catholicism, but after reading a lot of the stuff on the website -- including their Eastern Catholic FAQ, where the above excerpt came from -- I had a better understanding of what Eastern Catholicism is all about.

i saw a Maronite priest on EWTN once

he wore this kewl black turbin type thing that was really kewl

they're allowed to be married. celibacy is just a discipline of the Latin Rite (however, celibacy is a life-driving force of the Church. it is my personal belief that that is why the Latin Rite currently and will always be the majority rite bya vast margin.. the priests can devote all their energies to God's work and not their wife.

Actually, the Latin Rite isn't the only rite that has celibate priests. I know a priest who is of the Syro-Malabar Rite which is mostly practiced in India. He told me their priests are celibate because in India, which is grounded in Hindu culture, celibacy is respected and honored.