An Old School Catholic Message Board

To anyone who could be of help

Catholictothecore

you said you don't feel worthy and that is a good thing. The saints all said the same thing. The point is you can't let that slow down your vocation. By the grace of God and Jesus himself you are made worthy. :)

Don't worry so much about "finding" an order. God already has one picked out for you and you don't have to "choose". You only have to hear his voice.

If you question the difference between being a monk and a priest do some reading on it or ask a vocations director person. :)

with prayers.

Jez

Catholictothecore

[i]I[/i] would like to be a priest. But, I am open to being a monk or brother (are they the same things?) because....sigh...studies are [i][b][u]not[/u][/b][/i] my favorite things in the world. In fact, my school has been suffering because of this lately (there's another thing I need prayers for. Someone should start a prayer thread unique for this board).

• 1 year later...

How old are you? It sounds like we're in very much the same predicament. I'm a senior in High School, and I've got the option of entering the seminary after this upcoming year, going to college for a few years first, or entering an order. I've been pretty torn between the three, but I think I'm being called toward the seminary.
Now, just for the record, there have been a few occasions where I was obsolutely terrified to think that God might be calling me to the Priesthood for a number of reasons which I don't think are absolutley relevant.
Have you talked to your local vocations director? They can really help you discern what your calling is.

aalpha1989

I'm a Junior in high school, and I am also considering entering a seminary college. I probably will, actually...but anyway I don't know what type of priest to be? I also am considering an order, but I am considering Benedictines. I don't know much about Dominicans, but I am interested. I don't think there are any near me. What is the difference between mendicant and monastic? Mendicant orders are not cloistered, right? But what do they do then? I just don't know too much about Dominicans, though I would like to...What do you guys know?

Call your vocations director and schedule a meeting!
Sorry I can't be of much help beyond that. But I can't emphasize enough talking to your local vocations director, they're really not as detached as the name sounds.
Before I saw mine i really wasn't being honest with myself or God about my vocation, and he helped me face some hard truths.
But remember, if you do anything, your vocation director will bea ble to make the process 10x easier.

brandelynmarie

I want to share a little bit of my journey with you...I kinda understand what you are going through! For the longest time I wanted to be a Carmelite because of my love for St. Therese...or a Poor Clare because I had been to Steubenville & was familiar with their spirituality...I still love & admire the saints of these Orders & I have read so much about them...But something seemed to hold me back from moving beyond an initial inquiry....The funny thing is a Rev. Mother that I visited (Franciscan) told me that I needed to visit a few other communities...So I thought I would do as she suggested & then come back & ask to make an official visit since I thought I belonged there! :blush: Well...I ended up contacting a Dominican VD from a web-blog that I admired & so initial contact began! I will be visiting them in the Fall & God only knows where He will lead me from there...I hope to visit one or two other Dominican monasteries as well just to get a feel for them & see where God wants me...I have been slowly studying Dominican spirituality & reading up as much as I can on their saints...It's funny to me because I know so little about them! I can discuss Carmelite or Franciscan spirituality fairly well because they are so familar to me & now I believe God is leading me out into the deep! :D: I think it shows me He truly has His Hands on this...He is in control...not me! :topsy: So...if you feel drawn to Carmelite...go! Investigate & pray & appraoch a community that sounds good to you...God will show you by opening & closing doors where He wants you...

Sorry this is so long! Oh my goodness! :lol_roll:

Guest JeffCR07

Hi, I'm discerning a vocation to the priesthood in the Dominican order, but before I start singing the praises of Brother Dominic and his brothers and sisters, I'd like to say that you are in my prayers.

All vocations are one in Christ, just as the Church is Christ's one, undivided body. To Francis has been given poverty, to Dominic, preaching, to Benedict, prayer, but poverty, preaching, prayer, these are one in Christ. You should know that you are not being pulled in one direction by the Franciscans and in another by the Dominicans. Rather, you are being pulled to Christ, in whom all orders reside.

All that you have to do is give yourself totally to loving and serving Christ. When you do that, you will find yourself being called to serve in some special capacity, and this will tell you what order you are called to.

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

[quote]I'm a Junior in high school, and I am also considering entering a seminary college. I probably will, actually...but anyway I don't know what type of priest to be? I also am considering an order, but I am considering Benedictines. I don't know much about Dominicans, but I am interested. I don't think there are any near me. What is the difference between mendicant and monastic? Mendicant orders are not cloistered, right? But what do they do then? I just don't know too much about Dominicans, though I would like to...What do you guys know?[/quote]

If you go to a college seminary program usually you would need the sponsorship of a diocese.

My diocese sponsors people to go to a college seminary that is run by Benedictines...I couldn't afford to go there unless my diocese helped, which they would....The community of Benedictines that I am considering joining runs it...I'm pretty sure you can't join until sophomore or junior year...