An Old School Catholic Message Board

looking for good quotes from good saints

Ziggamafu

So, I've been doing a good bit of writing. One section examines history through the lense of the general councils. I've also given a brief bio of a saint who lived between any two councils and a quote that either sums up what makes him/or so special or defends the Church.

Problem? I can't think of a good saint, much less of a good quote for the time between Lyons 2 and Vienne, Constance and Florence, Florence and Lateran 5, and Lateran 5 and Trent. Has there been a saint canonized who lived and taught after Vatican 2?

Here's how my list goes, so far:

*Jerusalem
- Irenaeus
*Nicea 1
- Cyril
* Constantinople 1
- Augustine
* Ephesus
- Peter Chrysologus
* Chalcedon
- Fulgentius
* Constantinople 2
- Isidore
* Constantinople 3
- John Damascene
* Nicea 2
- Theophanes
* Constantinople 4
- Peter Damian
* Lateran 1
- Bernard of Clairvaux
* Lateran 2
- Malachy
* Lateran 3
- Anthony Padua
* Lateran 4
- Bonaventure
* Lyons 1
- Thomas Aquinas
* Lyons 2
- ???
* Vienne
- Catherine
* Constance
- ???
* Florence
- ???
* Lateran 5
- ???
* Trent
- Francis De Sales
* Vatican 1
- Maxamilian Kolbe
* Vatican 2
-???

If anyone can help put the name of a good saint and a good quote from him/her in place of those question marks, I'd sure be grateful. Thanks!!!

dude, [url="http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/time0000.htm"][b]this[/b][/url] is what you need!! with it i found the following (and you could find more for the other dates):

* Lyons 2
- [color=red]St. Clare of Montefalco, St. Albert of Sicily[/color]
* Vienne
- Catherine
* Constance
- [color=red]St. Joan of Arc, St. Lawrence Giustiniani, St. Catherine of Bologna, St. John of Dukla, St. Francis of Paola[/color]
* Florence
- [color=red]St. Beatrice da Silva Meneses, St. John of Sahagun, St. Eustochia Calafato, St. Joseph of Volokolamsk, St. Peter Arbues, St. Eustochiuum of Padua, St. Catherine of Genoa, St. Jane of Valois, etc.[/color]
* Lateran 5
- [color=red]St. John of God, St. Peter of Alcantara, St. John of Avila, St. Anthony Mary Zaccaria, Pope St. Pius V, St. Francis Xavier, St. Philip of Moscow, St. Francis Borgia, St. Maria Bagnesi, St. Philip Neri, St. Teresa of Avila, etc.[/color]
* Trent
- Francis De Sales
* Vatican 1
- Maxamilian Kolbe
* Vatican 2
- [color=red]St. Padre Pio, St. María Maravillas de Jesús, St. Josemaria Escriva, Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta[/color]

pax christi,
phatcatholic

awesome, phat!!! thanks SO much...just out of curiosity, have you like, dedicated your life towards helping people on the internet? The stuff you put out...makes me think you're a monk of some largely unknown internet-monastic order. i don't fathom HOW you're able to find the time to do so much research for people on these forums.

...you need a habit, dude.

of those you gave me, were any martyred by protestants? did any specialize in defending the faith? i recognize some popular names, but i would like your opinion on who i should choose for each period.

[b]keep in mind that my readers [/b](my immediate protestant family) [b]are anti-catholic [/b]and the letter i'm writing will be my "coming out of the closet" defense. they will read this letter...but it will probably be the only one they read...and one section gives a brief overview of Church history by looking at the line of heresies and issues that each ecumenical council faced - with saints interspersed to show them that yes, Catholics are Christians too.

you can read bios on all of those saints, either at New Advent or at the site i linked to in my previous post (if you click on the link, at the bottom is a link for the "Saints Index Page." go there ;)). that will help you decide which saints to choose. beyond that, go w/ the names that pop out at you. they are familiar for a reason ;). St. Albert of Sicily, St. Joan of Arc, St. Catherine of Genoa, St. John of Avila, Pope St. Pius V, St. Francis Xavier, St. Philip Neri, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Padre Pio, St. Josemaria Escriva.............all truly extraordinary lives. you may wish to include Mother Teresa, even tho she isn't a saint, b/c her holiness is so well-known.