An Old School Catholic Message Board

To Anna

marielapin

YOUR AVATAR IS FREAKING ME OUT! :o

Seriously, when I was in the theatre watching the FOTR, and this scene popped up, I literally screamed out "OH MY GOSH I CANT BELIEVE HE JUST DID THAT". Everyone in the theatre started to laugh.

I still can't watch that part of the movie without majorly flinching.

littleflower+JMJ

gotta love those LOTR fans!! :P

haha first time i saw it scared me...but i refused to watch it again when we bought the video so i have now just covered my eyes....LOL

im such a wimp. :rolleyes:

:lol:

littleflower+JMJ

no whats scarier is that guy in the last part of the movie....that one that gets his head chopped off...

yucky and scary.

icon8.gif :blink:

yeah but he was a bad guy. (Lurtz) He was supposed to be mean, scary and gross.

Bilbo is supposed to be good and then he does that freaky thing.

it's freaky, but cool. Wait till you see part 3. Frodo's face is going to turn ugly many times like Bilbo! :lol:

Better watch out,

Better not cry!

(ya know I can't remember the rest of that Christmas song)

Thats not Bilbo, thats a picture of me when I was 5 throwing a temper tantrum.... ;):P

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

No, that was a pix of me this morning!!!!

*Oh, your breakfast looks good this morning, GIVE IT TO ME!!!!!*

Actually, I just finished reading the parts in the third book where Frodo becomes obsessed by the ring. He is not described the same as Bilbo in said scene. In Rivendell, the books say "a shadow passed between Frodo and Bilbo, and Frodo saw Bilbo in a different light." Hence, vampiric Bilbo.

Yet, when Frodo becomes obsessed by the ring, especially at the end, he becomes taller, very in-control, and noble sounding. He is not described as being freaky-deaky. They better not make him vampiric like they did Bilbo. That would be in direct violation of the books. Frodo does have moments where he doesn't want Sam to touch the Ring, but he doesn't go vampire on him, even though he starts to say it's "precious" to him.

Kilroy the Ninja

Yeah, I told her it freaked me out too on another thread...

And don't feel bad, I jumped outta my seat when I saw that the first time too... and every subsequent time since then... :o

Actually, he kinda looks like me on PMS...but that's another whole story... :D

That part of the movie was so startling, that when I saw the avatar, I knew I'd need to use it for Halloween.

And my (now) 17-year old son did the same thing you did, marielapin...in fact, he just kept repeating it for about ten more minutes into the movie!!! :D

That change of Bilbo depicts the human condition, prone to sinful desires. It is truth.

This is why I love Mr. Tolkien's book.

What is heartbreaking to me is the movie's depiction of Aragorn as pre-occupied w/ shame for Isuldur's deed and continually hesitant to claim his birthright. The real Aragon was humble: he got over and always remembered the fall of Isildur; he did his duty, whether to remain in exile (which was supposed to happen for many years) or to openly declare his title.