An Old School Catholic Message Board

Michael Schiavo On Larry King Live

VeraMaria

TAMPA, Fla. - A man involved in a bitter dispute with his in-laws over whether his brain-damaged wife should be kept alive says money and the influence of conservative political causes motivates her parents to block his battle to let her die.

AP Photo

Reuters

Slideshow: Terri Schiavo

In his first interview since the latest round of legal fighting in the highly publicized case, Michael Schiavo said Monday on CNN's "Larry King Live" that he continues to fight to end his wife's life because her wishes were not to be kept alive artificially.

"This is Terri's wish," he said of the removal of her feeding tube. "And I am going to follow that if this is the last thing I can do for Terri."

Terri Schiavo, 39, has been in a persistent vegetative state since 1990 when a chemical imbalance, brought on by an eating disorder, caused her heart to stop and deprived her brain of oxygen.

Her parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, believe their daughter could be rehabilitated and dispute the husband's contention that she did not want to be kept alive artificially.

Terri Schiavo's feeding tube was removed for six days earlier this month before the Florida Legislature and Gov. Jeb Bush enacted a special law to have it reinserted. The move touched off an international debate over the Schiavo case and right-to-die issues.

Terri Schiavo is being treated at a Pinellas Park hospice while her husband's attorney and the American Civil Liberties Union (news - web sites) prepare to challenge the constitutionality of "Terri's Law." The first filings in that legal fight are due Wednesday.

Appearing less than an hour later on Fox News' "On the Record with Greta Van Sustern," the attorney for the Schindlers countered that

Schiavo knew his wife never had end-of-life wishes.

"It's hard to know what to believe with him because he says whatever the occasion demands or what is in his financial interests," said the attorney, Pat Anderson.

Schiavo said his relationship with the Schindlers soured after he was awarded a 1993 medical malpractice claim of about $1 million. Schiavo says the settlement was awarded because doctors misdiagnosed Terri Schiavo's health problems.

He said after that, his father-in-law asked him for a share of the money, and he refused to give him any.

"He's always wanted the money," Schiavo said of Bob Schindler. "He wants the money. He wants the control."

Schiavo denied that he has withheld therapy from his wife, saying he once took her to California for an experimental therapy in which a stimulator was implanted in her brain. It didn't work, he said.

"Now, they (his in-laws) are being fed all this information by those right-to-life activists who are feeding their little flame," he said.

He also answered criticism that he has abandoned his wife for a longtime girlfriend with whom he has one child and another on the way. Schiavo said his girlfriend is supportive of his care for Terri Schiavo.

"I'm fortunate to have two women in my life that I love very much," he said. "My girlfriend right now has done more for Terri than her own mother did. She shopped for her. She washed her clothes."

(me) - I still can't get over the fact that he has a "girlfriend". Good Lord! Have mercy on us. Does anyone else think this is wrong. Or am I just ol' fashioned. I mean the guy is still married!!

Americans are idiots. Sorry. If we can't see through that line of carp. Yeah right. His "girlfriend" (adultery partner) "cares" for his wife. Hah! If she cared, then she would at least respect her enough to wait to sleep with her husband.

Rrrrrrr! The wrath of the Lord will not be held back much longer.

CatholicAndFanatical

Yea I agree with you Jake. Some Americans use freedom as an excuse for everything, its like were all fine and humble until someone steps on our supposide freedom, heaven forbid THAT would happen.

I personally think we have too much freedom in this country. Dont get me wrong, Id die for this country, I really do love America...but some of the people in it I dont like.

Its times like this when I wish we lived elsewhere, when a court system can force an innocent person to die in an inhumane way.

Did anyone actually watch the show last night? I am curious as to what the callers had to say. Did anyone bring up the fact that he is commiting adultery?

God Bless

This is down right disgusting. It would be diffrent if she was on a breathing machine or if she was brain dead. Thay want to "starve her to death". If you didnt feed someone your responsible for and they starved,that would be murder. Look at it this way you can spend a year in jail for starving a dog. This is pathetic.

He also answered criticism that he has abandoned his wife for a longtime girlfriend with whom he has one child and another on the way. Schiavo saidhis girlfriend is supportive of his care for Terri Schiavo.

Which "care" would that be? The "starvation care"?

The "spending all Terri's medical trust fund money care"?

The "get-her-outta-the-way-so-we-can-live-as-we-please care"?

"I'm fortunate to have two women in my life that I love very much," he said.
And I'm sure any adulterer would say the same... ;)

"My girlfriend right now has done more for Terri than her own mother did.
Yeah, like satisfy the sex drives of her husband, for instance... <_<<_<<_<

Yeah, this guy and his galfriend are a piece of work....They spin their (shameful) situation like Clinton and Lewinsky... <_<

Pax Christi. <><

Edited by Anna

You know, I just can't help it...

When I feed my little 9 month old, and she coos and gurgles and bats her hands around sending babyfood mush all over me and herself, I am grateful.

I think of Terri!

I think of Terri as a baby, for that is what she presently is, and may always be. She knows her parents and loved ones, yet she can only show it in her eyes and smile, and perhaps some noises.

How greatly do you think her mother would like to be able to spoon mush into Terri's mouth, and have her able to swallow it? (Even if things got a little messy) What a gift that would be for her. What a gift it is for me...This is where my mind goes when I am feeding my own baby.

Because Terri is the Schindler's baby, and she always will be. She may have nothing to offer an adulterous husband in her present state, but her life still has purpose as a daughter, in her childlike innocence and helplessness...and in this world, that is certainly something that the rich and powerful cannot abide!

With every spoonful I place in my daughter's mouth, may an unspoken prayer of gratitude go up to the throne of God, and a supplication that Terri's parents may know this simple joy as well...

Pax Christi. <><