An Old School Catholic Message Board

Covering Your Hair In Church

Faithful heart

Faithful heart

Do any of my fellow Phatmass females cover their hair when they go to church?

I always thought this was for older ladies but now I have noticed that more younger women are doing it. I do not cover my hair, if any of you do can you tell me why you choose to do so. Not leaving the guys out I would like to know your thoughts on it also. Thanks, and always God bless you!

Well it is biblical- I know Im not a lady, Same here only the older ladies still practice that.

1 cor 11:1-7

Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.

1 I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold fast to the traditions, just as I handed them on to you.

2 3 But I want you to know that Christ is the head of every man, and a husband the head of his wife, and God the head of Christ.

4 Any man who prays or prophesies with his head covered brings shame upon his head.

But any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled brings shame upon her head, for it is one and the same thing as if she had had her head shaved.

For if a woman does not have her head veiled, she may as well have her hair cut off. But if it is shameful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should wear a veil.

5 A man, on the other hand, should not cover his head, because he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man.

Edited by foundsheep

It comes from the Bible;

But any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled brings shame upon her head, for it is one and the same thing as if she had had her head shaved.

For if a woman does not have her head veiled, she may as well have her hair cut off. But if it is shameful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should wear a veil. A man, on the other hand, should not cover his head, because he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man.

For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; nor was man created for woman, but woman for man; for this reason a woman should have a sign of authority 6 on her head, because of the angels. Woman is not independent of man or man of woman in the Lord. For just as woman came from man, so man is born of woman; but all things are from God.

Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head unveiled? Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears his hair long it is a disgrace to him, whereas if a woman has long hair it is her glory, because long hair has been given (her) for a covering?

But if anyone is inclined to be argumentative, we do not have such a custom, nor do the churches of God. (1 Cor 11:3-16)

It is a disipline not a dogma of the church and because of this it can be changed.

I really respect the women who do cover their hair.. However, I don't think it would be proper at my parish (like most parishes nowadays..) Since most people do NOT wear a chapel veil, it would only draw attention to the one person who IS wearing a veil. (Which is the exact opposite effect that the veil is supposed to have) I have been to churches where the women cover their heads, and I really think it's a great practice.

All for the Immaculata,

Katrina

It used to be done in the days of the early church because traditionally the only women who did not wear head coverings at that time were prostitutes.

Interestingly in almost all religions today women from the more orthodox branch of that belief wear head coverings! I went to a fairly strict protestant denomination briefly a few years ago and the women wore head coverings there as an outward sign they were 'in submission' to their husbands/fathers who were seen as the head of the household.

see, it seems to have a huge part in the tradition of the environment. the verse doesn't say when you're praying in church, it just says when you're praying.

so, if a Catholic guy, like myself, goes to a shabat service held at a Jewish temple, out of respect and in corispondence with the Jewish teaching, i am to wear a yamulke (ya-mic-a).

when my male (reformed) Jewish friends go to Mass with me, he doesn't wear a yamulke, because if what the Catholic church holds in it's traditions.

at both places i am praying and my Jewish friends are praying, but if you look at the testiments we hold to be true, we are clearly not following them.

this seems to be okay because of the traditional norms and because the greater good found in ecumenical worship while still worshiping the same God.

neither of us is claiming to belong to the others faith, but neither is allowing our faith to prevent us from trying to understand the other.

i don't think it's that big of a deal whether or not a woman wears a veil depending on the cultural traditions in the area.

Now what i want to know is, how many of you ladies would like to shave your heads. Ive got some decent clippers.

Do they really want to look like Sinead O'Connor???

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site and I found this very interesting post. As a reply, I have fopund this very intersting piece. I hope you all enjoy it and perhaps receive some insight regarding this issue as well as others. :)

SHOULD WOMEN COVER

THEIR HEADS IN CHURCH?

by Jackie Freppon

During the Second Vatican Council, a mob of reporters waited for news after a council meeting. One of them asked Msgr. Anibale Bugnini, then secretary of the Vatican Congregation for Divine Worship, if women still had to wear a headcovering in church. He responded that the bishops were considering other issues, and women's veils were not on the agenda.

The next day, the international press [subversively] announced throughout the world that women did not have to keep their heads covered in church anymore. A few days later, Msgr. Bugnini told the press he was misquoted and women must still wear the veil. But the press did not retract the error, and many women stopped wearing the veil as out of confusion and because of pressure from feminist groups.

Before the revision in 1983, Canon Law had stated that women must cover their heads. "...especially when they approach the holy table" (can. 1262.2). But in order to reduce such a growing collection of books, the new version of Canon Law was subjected to concise changes. In the process, mention of head coverings was omitted. In 1970, Pope Paul VI promulgated the new Roman Missal, ignoring mention of women's veils. But at the time the missal was published, it didn't seem necessary to keep mandatory such an obvious and universal practice. And mention in Canon Law or the Roman Missal is not necessary to the continuation of the tradition, for it is rooted in Scripture and has been practiced ever since the early Church. inDouche, Pope John Paul II affirmed that the real sources of canon law are the Sacred Tradition, especially as reflected in the ecumenical councils, and Sacred Scripture (O.S.V. Catholic Encyclopedia, p. 169).

SCRIPTURE

Sacred Scripture presents several reasons for wearing the veil. St. Paul tells us in his first letter to the Corinthians (11:1-16) that women must cover their heads because it is a Sacred Tradition commanded by Our Lord Himself and entrusted to Paul: "The things I am writing to you are the Lord's commandments" (1 Cor. 14:37).

DIVINE HIERARCHY

God has established a hierarchy, in both the natural and the religious spheres, in which the female is subject to the male. St. Paul writes in 1st Corinthians: "But I would have you know that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is the man, and the head of Christ is God." (1 Cor. 11:3)

And, in the institution of marriage, God gave the husband authority over the wife, but responsibility to her as well. Not only is he the family's decision maker, but he is also responsible for the material and the spiritual welfare of his wife and children. Man is not in this position to enslave or belittle the wife. As the Bride (the Church) is subject to Jesus, women must wear the veil as a sign that they are subjected to men. "Let wives be subject to their husbands as to the Lord; because a husband is head of the wife, just as Christ is head of the Church" (Eph. 5:22-23).

The man represents Jesus. Therefore he should not cover his head. However, this subjection is not derogatory to women, because in God's kingdom everyone is subjected to a higher authority: "For as the woman is from the man, so also is the man through the woman, but all things are from God."(1 Cor. 11:12).

Furthermore, the symbolism of the veil takes that which is invisible, the order established by God, and makes it visible. In the history of the Church, priestly vestments have played a similar symbolic role.

WOMEN'S HONOR

It is an honor to wear the veil. But by publicly repudiating it, a woman dishonors her feminine dignity, her sign of female subjection, just as the military officer is dishonored when he is stripped of his decorations. The Roman Pontifical contains the imposing ceremonial of the consecration of the veils: "Receive the sacred veil, that thou mayst be known to have despised the world, and to be truly, humbly, and with all thy heart subject to Christ as His bride; and may he defend thee from all evil, and bring thee to life eternal" (Pontificale Romanum, de benedictione).

St. Paul says an unveiled woman is a dishonor: "But every woman praying or prophesying with her head uncovered disgraces her head, for it is the same as if she were shaven." (1 Cor. 11:5)

"BECAUSE OF THE ANGELS"

"That is why women ought to have a veil on her head, because of the angels," wrote St. Paul (1 Cor. 11:10). The invisible hierarchy should be respected because the angels are present at Christian liturgical assemblies, offering with us the Holy Sacrifice with the honor due to Almighty God. St. John the Apostle wrote: "And another angel came and stood before the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given to him much incense that he might offer it with the prayers of all before the throne." (Rev. 8:3, see also Matt. 18:10). They are offended by a lack of reverence at Mass, just as they abhorred King Herod's acceptance of adoration from the people of Jerusalem: "But immediately an angel of the Lord struck [Herod] down, because he had not given honor to God, and he was eaten by worms, and died." (Acts 12:23).

ANCIENT TRADITION

The custom of wearing the veil was maintained in the primitive churches of God (1 Cor. 11:16). We see this in the First Letter of Paul to the Corinthians.

The women of Corinth, beset by modern sensibilities, started coming to church without their heads covered. When St. Paul heard of their neglect, he wrote and urged them to keep the veil. According to St. Jerome's commentary Bible, he finally settled the matter by saying head covering was a custom of the primitivecommunities of Judea, "the churches of God" (1 Thess. 2:15, 3:6).

GOD'S COMMAND

Even today, some people erroneously believe that St. Paul based the tradition on his personal opinion. They think he did not intend it to be continued in the Universal Church, but only as a local custom.

This argument, however, does not conform to the Pauline spirit. After all, it was Paul who stood before Peter to change Jewish traditions in Christian churches (Gal. 2:11-21). St. Paul reminds them, "for I did not receive it from man, nor was I taught it; but I received it by revelation of Jesus Christ" (Gal. 1:12), referring to the authority of his ministry, and veracity of his words. Our Lord warns us to obey His commandments: "He therefore that shall break one of these least commandments, and shall so teach men, shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven" (Matt. 5:19).

CONCLUSION

In summary, the reasons St. Paul advises women to cover their heads in church are:

1. Our Lord commanded it;

2. it is a visible sign of an invisible order established by God;

3. The angels at Mass are offended if women don't use it;

4. it is a ceremonial vestment;

5. it is our heritage.

Christian women around the world have other reasons to wear a hat, mantilla, rebozo, gele, scarf, shawl, or veil. Some wear it out of respect to God; others, to obey the Pope's request, or continue family traditions. But the most important reason of all is because Our Lord said: "If you love me keep my commandments." (John 14:15).

We should always be ready with our bridal veils, waiting for him and the promised wedding (Apoc. 22:17), following the example of our Blessed Mother Mary, who never appeared before the eyes of men but properly veiled. To those who still think that the veil is an obsolete custom, remember that: "Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday and today, yes, and forever." (Heb.13:8).

-------------------------------------

For another copy, send a S.A.S.E. to:

Veil article

2219 N. Britain Rd.

Irving, TX 75062

This article was derived from a book in progress called, "The Unveiled Woman."

There is really an important point in all of this. Sometimes we get so caught up in finding loopholes in scripture to justify what it is that WE want to do. The fact is that its not always ABOUT what WE want. Perhaps right now, this minute, but ultimately, we must decide what we TRULLY want. Think about how much energy has been spent by countless people regarding this debate (this pertains to many debates, this one is just an example) about women's headdress. Would it not have been easier to just continue using the veil as had been done for 1,960 plus years than look for excuses not to for the last forty years? Just something to think about.

Thank you

Faithful Heart, nice name.

I cover my head because of the Scripture, because St. Paul says we have this custom. Because the Church has done this.

There are good natural reasons, too. Women (and girls for that matter) tend to have beautiful hair. It can be distracting for men. Women also tend to notice how other women's hair,etc; is done up. In general, I try to not look at anyone while at Mass, but to keep my eyes on the altar/priest/etc;.

Some ladies wear hats instead of veils. Some have long scarf-like veils which are wrapped around the neck and flow down the shoulder. They are all very beautifu, but not in the way that hair is.

It never seemed odd to me in a distasteful sense. It seemed beautiful and inspired devotion. Frankly, if I could cover my whole self in a paper bag while at holy Mass, I think I'd do it.

But that would not inspire devotion, precious, it would only hide rag-a-muffin me.

Edited by Donna

ThereseFlower

I bought myself a headcovering from She Maketh Herself Coverings. It's not a Catholic site, but I can say that they do make everything by hand and they have some nice items that are less expensive than elsewhere.

I am a (pre- ?) Cathechumen, and thought that it would be a nice thing for me to have. I can say that I have never gotten the guts to wear it to mass on campus (things are really laid back here and I think it would be weird), but I do wear it in my dorm room when I pray the rosary. I find that it helps me focus more on God, and when I wear it in the school chapel when I am there alone it makes me feel much more humble.

I think it is a beautiful custom... I feel like it is such a shame that people in "everyday" churches (not just Latin Rite) don't do it anymore. :(

Just my 2 cents. ^_^

It used to be done in the days of the early church because traditionally the only women who did not wear head coverings at that time were prostitutes.

Interestingly in almost all religions today women from the more orthodox branch of that belief wear head coverings! I went to a fairly strict protestant denomination briefly a few years ago and the women wore head coverings there as an outward  sign they were 'in submission' to their husbands/fathers who were seen as the head of the household.

It's not a Commandment of God, it's a Discipline of cultural behavior.

It wasn't just done in the early Church. It was still being done in the late 60's. For example, in Catholc Grade school, girls still wore beanies to Mass. It became non-mandatory after V-II.

Though some people wore veils, others wore very nice hats. The culture changed and the meaning did not translate well.

Additionally, since the Church is a champion of woman's rights, it felt too much emphasis was put on women being subservient to men and not having anything to contribute to the Church. This was an erroneous belief that grew out of the fundamental Protestant Churches. I know many fundamentalists. They are quick to remember that woman are to subservient to men but all too quickly forget that men are to be self-sacrifical to their wives as Christ is to the Church.

Men and woman are equally subservient to each other in the sense they are to serve each other (though in different ways) and both are called to equal obedient to the Church.