An Old School Catholic Message Board

Covering Your Hair In Church

Faithful heart

Faithful heart

Thank you for the informitive posts. I would like to cover my hair, but it does seem weird to do so. I know that is no excuse. Most ladies in my Church wear the black lace just draped over thie heads. Maybe some of us younger "girls" can get a pretty scarf or a hankerchief type thing that some young girls wear. That way it will be in style and we will still be covering for our Lord. Or we could not care what anyone thinks or says and do it because we know it is right. The posts from Donna and Nocturnal1 got me thinking, thank you

Faithful heart

I thought of somthing. My grandmother sews scarfs onto headbands. So when you put the head band on you have a little scarf hanging down the back. I always thought they were very cute. Maybe I will have her make a few for me!!

ReformationNow

I believe in it! But then again, I'm neither female nor Catholic. All the same tho, I believe that it is a command from scripture.

Donna wrote:

There are good natural reasons, too. Women (and girls for that matter) tend to have beautiful hair. It can be distracting for men. Women also tend to notice how other women's hair,etc; is done up. In general, I try to not look at anyone while at Mass, but to keep my eyes on the altar/priest/etc;.

Hello Donna,

You have just inadvertently touched on a subject that I have been thinking about lately. I see it in my Church all the time. Its the dress code. Meaning there is none. I'm sorry, I'm only human. I don't stare and am usually good at catching myself, but sometimes it feels like theres a silent competition. "Oh, you didn't look this week; I'll wear something skimpier or sexier to catch you next week. I'm in Miami, FL, therefore it gets quite hot and balmy here (yes, even in winter), therefore everybody wears as little as they can. But its not always appropiate and its hard to concentrate on your prayers while trying to make an effort to 'not look'.

I'd like to hear some opinions on this. I feel like I'm the only one down here, but I thought I'd throw it out to see if someone fields it.

Thanx and God Bless,

Edited by Nocturnal1

... i kinda wish i was a girl just so i could do it!!

:lol: err.. actually i wish there was some sort of thing guys were sposedta do to show reverence that most ppl seemd not to do anymore like that.. then i would def. do it.

ah well, have fun ladies!

what do you think about the women that wear baseball hats in church, including at Mass?

does that comply to a head covering?

i bet you can get away with some pretty broad interpretation of 'head covering' if you have baseball caps and veils in the same catagory...

watch out for football helmets in the front row in a few years!! :blink:

As for baseball hats worn by women at Mass, I don't think that's appropriate.

Why not?

Well, I remember reading a few years back in some etiquette column like Miss Manners that while women could keep their hats on if the National Anthem was playing, it was NOT permissible for them to wear baseball hats, as they're unisex.

I'd imagine the same thing would apply in church.

cmotherofpirl

Do any of my fellow Phatmass females cover their hair when they go to church?

I always thought this was for older ladies but now I have noticed that more younger women are doing it.  I do not cover my hair, if any of you do can you tell me why you choose to do so.  Not leaving the guys out I would like to know your thoughts on it also.  Thanks, and always God bless you!

I am quite pleased that canon law changed. :)

It wasn't just done in the early Church. It was still being done in the late 60'sAdditionally, since the Church is a champion of woman's rights, it felt too much emphasis was put on women being subservient to men and not having anything to contribute to the Church. This was an erroneous belief that grew out of the fundamental Protestant Churches. I know many fundamentalists. They are quick to remember that woman are to subservient to men but all too quickly forget that men are to be self-sacrifical to their wives as Christ is to the Church.

Men and woman are equally subservient to each other in the sense they are to serve each other (though in different ways) and both are called to equal obedient to the Church.

It's perfectly acceptable . . . and I think its cool . . . a neat act of humility . . . if it were appropriate for men, I would cover my head . . . maybe with a hoodie or something that makes me look like a franciscan!

Anyway . . . I can just see your mom wearing a vale at Little (Wild) Flower! That must make them steam!!!

Now what i want to know is, how many of you ladies would like to shave your heads. Ive got some decent clippers.

I'll be glad to get rid of my hair!!!!! It's driving me crazy this week!!!!!

so St. Paul says that ppl who don't cover their hair in Church might as well have all their hair shaved off?

AHA! private interpretation: i'm being called by God to shave the heads of all the ppl in Church this Sunday who don't have their hair covered

**holds his razor in both hands and makes an evil laugh**

Nocturnal, that article was great.

I am sorry for what you must contend with. It is distracting, in general. However, even with a dress code, especially young girls can get out of hand.

A while back I think I made a post about a first adult experience wearing modest clothing, and womanly (ie, a neckline about an inch from the pit of the throat, sleeves which came down to the elbow and a skirt a few inches below the knees).

In one five minute walk up to the corner store, I gained more empowerment than in years of feminist circles. Men treated me differently. And I was hardcore on the left at one time. I couldn't believe it, the treatment, the respect I got.

Not only men, but women and your own children, too.

Try a test yourselves, sistahs. Do an experiment.

(I would feel ashamed to not cover my head before the Blessed Sacrament).