An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cool Books to Read

jgirl

• 3 weeks later...

so many books! i wish there was a way to narrow down my choices as i am not a big reader. perhaps by temperament or spirituality.. mysticism, modern psychology, pure theology.. author characteristics/experience?

anywho, i very much enjoyed

[u][url="http://www.franciscanfriars.com/books/benedict_books.htm"]Spiritual Passages[/url][/u] by Fr. Benedict Groeschel, C.F.R.

it basically documents and explains everything i've gone through so far in my spiritual journey, from a psychological and spiritual perspective which suits me perfectly. Fr. Groeschel is a psychologist and has been the counselor to priests for the diocese of New York. He offers many examples and testimonies to explain the different stages of the spiritual journey, namely the [url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14254a.htm"]purgative, illuminative, and unitive ways[/url]. similar to St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross (it's much easier and understandable than Interior Castle.). i would rate the difficulty as "easy-medium". highschool/college level reading.
highly recommended to all. i want to lend it to everyone i know who is discerning, although i worry some may not relate to some parts..
(8.5/10 stars for discerners)

oh and Fr. Groeschel has all the new postulants in his order read this book. he teaches a class with them every week and i think this is their first required text. i have half the book highlighted, underlined, dog ear tagged.. some people even use different colors and tabs!

==================

"If you are a Christian trying to take your own spiritual development seriously and if in some way you hope to help others, this book is intended for you . . . The immediate goal is to assist you to find your place on the journey and to identify personal traits which, for a long time, may have been obstacles on the road to greater knowledge and service of God."
Fr. Benedict Groeschel, Spiritual Passages, Introduction.

About the Author:
Internationally known lecturer and retreat master Fr. Benedict J. Groeschel, C.F.R., is professor of pastoral psychology at St. Joseph's Seminary in New York. the director for the Office of Spiritual Development of the Archdiocese of New York, he is also a founding member of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, a prolific author, and a regular guest on EWTN.

Product Description:
Fr. Benedict J. Groeschel combines a profound understanding of the Catholic spiritual tradition of spirituality with a sound sense of contemporary psychology. In Spiritual Passages Fr. Groeschel discusses the interface of Christian spirituality and contemporary psychology with the aim of helping readers move forward on the spiritual way.

Editorial Reviews
Book Description
This groundbreaking intergration of spiritual genius and psychological teaching has enjoyed a reputation as a classic in the field of human development.

All the books mentioned below were crucial in my re-turn to the Church, and, besides feeding me on my journey, each one of them was like
a sign-post on the road, saying: "Keep Going! Beautiful panoramic view ahead!" and because of this, I am extremely grateful to them...
# The subtitle says: The psychology of spiritual development - For those who seek. Here is another terrific speaker! Or, at least, he certainly was, before his accident last year. I haven't seen him since and I think he is still recuperating. But Fr. Groeschel will always be an inspiring figure to me. And funny too! This specific book goes over the classic stages of maturing in the life of the faith, from the early steps of turning toward God to the highest levels of mystical union with God which has been called: seeing the face of God… Because Fr. Groeschel illustrates the various stages along the way in the standard manner of psychology with real life cases, this book has a very practical aspect to it, besides being a spiritual guide.

The back page cover says: "A crossroad bestseller since its first publication in 1983… this groundbreaking integration of spiritual genius and psychological training has enjoyed a reputation as a classic in the field of human development."

Excerpt:
With wonderful writing and rich insight, this perennial classic shows the connection between contemporary psychology and the spiritual journey.

Edited by johnnydigit

Sister Rose Therese

Oh yes, a very good book indeed. Fr. Groeschel also had a class on video that he did with that book. We did that as a class in the Novitiate.

• 1 month later...
the lords sheep

I completely second [i]Come be my Light[/i]

It is one of the most beautiful things I've read recently, possibly ever. Absolutely and completely moving.

• 1 month later...

more books :

"The Priest, The Man of God His Dignities and Duties" by St. Joseph Cafesso, [url="http://www.marianland.com/priest001.html"]http://www.marianland.com/priest001.html[/url]

and online: "Vocations" by Rev William Doyle, S.J. [url="http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/3543/Vocare.htm"]http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/3543/Vocare.htm[/url]

Edited by Hirsap

• 3 weeks later...
RosaMystica

Divine Intimacy by Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen, OCD is a great read for those discerning vocations and those who want to become saints. If you love Carmelite spirituality you would love these spiritual meditations. I've also read that it's been Mother Angelica's daily spiritual reading for years and it's absolutely AMAZING! Another good one is Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales. The Diary of St. Faustina has been a book that has really deepened my spirituality and has also helped me discern my vocation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest SDphisheater

I don't think anyone's mentioned this one yet: Seven Storey Mountain, by Thomas Merton. It's both a story of a man coming to both the Faith and his vocation. I couldn't put it down.

puellapaschalis

Has anyone read "A Nun" - a novel/biography of St. Margaret Mary? I read it last week and it's made quite an impression on me.

• 3 weeks later...
she_who_is_not

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1523292' date='May 9 2008, 01:07 PM']Has anyone read "A Nun" - a novel/biography of St. Margaret Mary? I read it last week and it's made quite an impression on me.[/quote]

PP,
So unusual, I just found out about this book and am dying to read it. I was rereading "Come Be My Light" and Mother Theresa wrote of reading that book and finding it to be of profound benefit. I'm searching for it right now.

• 2 weeks later...
RosaMystica

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1523292' date='May 9 2008, 03:07 PM']Has anyone read "A Nun" - a novel/biography of St. Margaret Mary? I read it last week and it's made quite an impression on me.[/quote]

I've never heard of this book before. I'm searching for it on the internet and I can't seem to find it. Who's the author??

Caramelonion

[font="Times New Roman"]I enjoyed [b]Life & Message of Sr. Mary of The Holy Trinity by Rev. Alain-Marie Duboin O.F.M[/b] and [b]Blessed Marie-Celine of the Presentation by the Poor Clare nuns in Rockford, Illinois.[/b] I just love those sisters! They are truly joyful.[/font]

• 4 weeks later...
puellapaschalis

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1540829' date='May 25 2008, 04:24 AM']PP,
So unusual, I just found out about this book and am dying to read it. I was rereading "Come Be My Light" and Mother Theresa wrote of reading that book and finding it to be of profound benefit. I'm searching for it right now.[/quote]

I recently received Come Be My Light as a gift. Or rather, I received Kom Wees Mijn Licht, because I was given the Dutch translation :)

cathoholic_anonymous

[i]Before the Living God[/i], by Ruth Burrows OCD. It's the autobiography of a Carmelite nun who entered the monastery at seventeen. It was hailed as a spiritual 'classic' when it was published in the Seventies. A new edition has recently been brought out. I like all the books by Sister Ruth, but this one touched me in a special way.