An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cool Books to Read

jgirl

daugher-of-Mary

[b]When God Asks for an Undivided Heart[/b] is a very good, practical book covering celibacy issues so you don't go into the religious life or priesthood with illusions

Diary of St. Faustina and Story of a Soul definately!

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Feb 28 2005, 04:31 PM'] [b]When God Asks for an Undivided Heart[/b] is a very good, practical book covering celibacy issues so you don't go into the religious life or priesthood with illusions

Diary of St. Faustina and Story of a Soul definately! [/quote]
Who wrote that?

FaustinaVianney

Fr Andrew Apostoli wrote When God Asks for an Undivided Heart: Choosing Celibacy in love and freedom. It is a very good book Also, Courage to be Chaste by Fr Groeschel is good and the same topic.

I don't want to start a new thread for this, but I want to know you guys' opinion on this if you've read the Diary of St. Faustina...

It seems like almost everyone Faustina lived with in the convent was so cruel and proud. There were so few exceptions. Do you think that God was working through them to humble Faustina, or were they really not striving for holiness? I'm only about 1/3 of the way through, so I don't know if this is answered later in the book or not. What's your opinion?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Mar 1 2005, 08:42 PM'] I don't want to start a new thread for this, but I want to know you guys' opinion on this if you've read the Diary of St. Faustina...

It seems like almost everyone Faustina lived with in the convent was so cruel and proud. There were so few exceptions. Do you think that God was working through them to humble Faustina, or were they really not striving for holiness? I'm only about 1/3 of the way through, so I don't know if this is answered later in the book or not. What's your opinion? [/quote]
I really didn't see it that way... I know sometimes it is not on purpose and happens without knowledge of it... But it has been a while since I have read it and I can barely remember anything bad said or done to her. I remember St. Faustina telling the girls about modesty and they listened to her and mostly her physical sufferings and joys mostly... hmmmm... I guess I'll have to read it again sometime...

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Mar 1 2005, 10:59 PM'] I really didn't see it that way... I know sometimes it is not on purpose and happens without knowledge of it... But it has been a while since I have read it and I can barely remember anything bad said or done to her. I remember St. Faustina telling the girls about modesty and they listened to her and mostly her physical sufferings and joys mostly... hmmmm... I guess I'll have to read it again sometime... [/quote]
You're right, it wasn't a very big part of the book. One example is when Faustina was helping a sister mop up the floor and the sister got upset with her and made her sit on the table and watch. Other sisters passed by and mocked her each in turn. She was so humiliated but didn't say anything out of obedience. Things like that were [i]always[/i] happening to her (in the beginning of the book, at least). Also, she was constantly being called "eccentric" and being mocked for her relationship with Jesus by the other sisters.

Ok here are two i LOVE!! I am so glad some one started this thread. I have some books i am reading right now but after i finish i will start on some of these. I think i have more but those are the two that came to mind. Both are wonderful.

Saint Martin De Porres: apostle of charity by Giuliana Cavallini
Arms of Love- by Carmen Marcoux

Oh another few are the series by Bud Macfarlene(sp?)
Peirced by a sword
Conceived without sin
House of Gold

you can get those free if you want them at www.catholicity.com

Bud MacFarlain's books are good, but I'd only suggest "Conceived Without Sin" as a book for discernment.

Edited by Totus Tuus

hehe yeah i got carried away it prolly only one or two of the books i mentioned are actually for discernment. they are wondferul catholic books though...

Berchmans525

-The Meaning of Vocation "In the Words of John Paul II"

-Augustine on Prayer; Thomas A. Hand, O.S.A.

-When God Asks For An Undivided Heart: Choosing Celibacy in Love & Freedom; Andrew Apostoli, CFR

-Priests for the Third Millennium; Bishop (now Archbishop) Timothy M. Dolan

-Chris

JMJ

The Meaning of Vocation by Pope John Paul II

True Devotion to Mary by St. Louis de Montfort

Though the latter isn't pointed to vocation (as in single blessedness, marriage, religious life, priesthood), it shares how Our Blessed Mother is vital in our spiritual life, and how to live out our vocation (as in what the Lord's Will for us is). It's an awesome read.

God bless. Ave Maria!

I just wanted to post this link for anyone interested:

[url] [url="https://www.ewtn.com/vcatalogue/index.asp?category=printedcatalogue"]https://www.ewtn.com/vcatalogue/index.asp?c...rintedcatalogue[/url] [/url]

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I just got "A Right To Be Merry" and started reading it last night... it sounds like its a great read! Thanks for the recommendation Totus Tuus!