An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cool Books to Read

jgirl

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='538249' date='Mar 1 2005, 10:42 PM']
I don't want to start a new thread for this, but I want to know you guys' opinion on this if you've read the Diary of St. Faustina...

It seems like almost everyone Faustina lived with in the convent was so cruel and proud. There were so few exceptions. Do you think that God was working through them to humble Faustina, or were they really not striving for holiness? I'm only about 1/3 of the way through, so I don't know if this is answered later in the book or not. What's your opinion?
[/quote]

I definitely thought the same when I read it way back when. More often than not everyone put her down and really I would surmise that in the book there are only a few examples given, when in reality it was often. I'm not sure what the case was w/ the other sisters, maybe just tough to live w/ someone who they didn't want to believe was gonna be a Saint even though they saw it coming but denied it. It woudl be hard to compare and live up to a Saint, yah know.

-------------

Concerning Bud McFarlene's books - I recall hearing some big blow up about him but not details - does anyone know what I am talking about?

she_who_is_not

This is not a religious book, but I thought those interested in the eremetic life might enjoy reading My Side of the Mountain, by Jean George. I'm reading it with my 5th grade class right now. A childhood favorite of my own, it depicts the journey of a young boy who runs away to live by himself in the Catskill mountains. It really speaks to my soul. Lot's of meditations on the wonders of nature and silence.

Guest mylifeforchrist

This is my first post, i just registered...

Thanks for reccomending all these books!

I'm currently reading a collection of Pope John Paul II's (the Great!) letters to priests and religious from 1990-1991. Its part of a collection of his letters to consecrated men and women, I think I have volume 7.

It is good at knowing JPII's take on relgious life. You are able to see clear into his heart what he wanted and what Christ wanted for all those consecrated to Him in this millennium. Its a good "roadmap" and also a good description of what being a priest or a nun means to the Church and the world today.

Thanks again!

I'm currently reading [i]The Hermitage Within: Spirituality of the Desert[/i] by A Monk, which I'd strongly recommend to anyone considering an eremitical vocation. It is absolutely amazing, actually the most influential book I have read for a long time. Actually my Spiritual Director had recommended I read it, and was going to some trouble to get hold of a copy for me. I'd completely forgotten the title, and found the book quite by chance in the Seminary library. I was absolutely captivated by it, and told my S.D. about this amazing book that I'd found. It was actually the one he wanted me to read. You can believe in coincidence or in the Holy Spirit!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eight_days_after

I like this phorum! =D its snazzy

like has been stated five times, St. Therese's [i]Story of a Soul[/i]
also, St.Catherine of Siena's [i]Dialogues[/i]
and, St. Maria Faustina's [i]Diary[/i] (I know its been named in alot of posts... just reinforcing it... it has really helped me get things into perspective in my discernment)

we mustn't forget the Bible either! Holy Scripture is my favorite place to turn when i am confused about what to do

May you walk eternally in God's footsteps!! =D

The Intentional Life by Cardinal Basil Hume, O.S.B.

I'm really enjoying this one. It's a series of talks the Cardinal gave to the monks in his abbey in England. The style is quite similar to Intro. to the Devout Life. It's really great for reading little snipets when you have 5 minutes because each little bit gives you something nice to meditate and think about throughout the day.

I'm currently reading Dominican Spirituality by William Hinnesbusch, O.P.

I just finished reading St. Teresa of Avila by Marcelle Auclair. It's amazing!

[quote name='passerby' post='1191441' date='Feb 11 2007, 07:01 AM']
I'm currently reading Dominican Spirituality by William Hinnesbusch, O.P.

I just finished reading St. Teresa of Avila by Marcelle Auclair. It's amazing!
[/quote]

St. Teresa of Avila is a great read! :book:

Edited by illeat

be_thou_my_vision

"My Other Self" by Clarence J Enzler.
The whole book is written from God's perspective and God refers to the reader as his "other self." It's beautiful.... our soul is called to reflect God.

TheOliverOrder88

One of the many that has helped my discernment...

If not mentioned already is the "Priests for the Third Millenium" by Bishop Dolan

After reading that book, I wanted to enter the seminary immediately.

philosophette

"[url="http://www.amazon.com/Still-Small-Voice-Practical-Revelations/dp/0898704367/sr=8-1/qid=1172218993/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-5510483-5295949?ie=UTF8&s=books"][b]A Still Small Voice[/b][/url]" Fr Benedict Groeschel.

Not about vocation, but it is about discernment I think it can be applied to many areas of our lives.

[quote name='Tom' post='1179347' date='Jan 29 2007, 12:49 PM']I'm currently reading [i]The Hermitage Within: Spirituality of the Desert[/i] by A Monk, which I'd strongly recommend to anyone considering an eremitical vocation. It is absolutely amazing, actually the most influential book I have read for a long time. Actually my Spiritual Director had recommended I read it, and was going to some trouble to get hold of a copy for me. I'd completely forgotten the title, and found the book quite by chance in the Seminary library. I was absolutely captivated by it, and told my S.D. about this amazing book that I'd found. It was actually the one he wanted me to read. You can believe in coincidence or in the Holy Spirit![/quote]

This is one of the [b]best[/b] books [i]by far[/i] that I read when I was in the monastery. It is very useful for the spiritual life and it is a consoling read, if I can say that. I highly recommend this book.

• 3 weeks later...
Ora et Labora

I heard a very good book to read if discerning was The way (either "of or "to") perfection, by St. Theresa of Avila. :) I've been wanting to read it.

• 3 weeks later...

* Morning Star by Marie-Dominique Philippe, O.P. (This book is incredible...its conferences on the Virgin Mary) That this dear founder from the Community of St. John had given throughtout the years...

Elizabeth of the Trinity

Celebrating the Holy Eucharist by Francis Cardinal Arinze