An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why/How is mastrubation a mortal sin?

Guest Joe

Masturbation is sinful because it is a turning in on self. The gift of genital sexual expression is designed and ordered for the marriage bond for the unity of the spouses and for the generation of children. Therefore, all genital sexual activity outside of marriage is a misuse of that gift.

All sexual sins are grave (serious) matter. Meaning that objectively they always carry weight. However, in order to be a mortal sin, that is one that cuts you off from God three elements must be present. It must be grave matter, the person must know it is grave matter, and they must commit the sin willfully.

The third element is where we have a lot to discern. There are many factors that influence the will. (Anxiety, Stress, depression, habitual behavior, biological factors, etc.) In most cases, speaking from my experience in counsel, it is most likely not a mortal sin when people come to confess it. (The factors mentioned above are present.)

This does not mean we are to treat it lightly. It does not mean we should excuse our behavior, but this information should allow us to relax enough to allow God to work to free us from this and all sin.

If you find this sin a problem I would suggest regular confession to the same confessor if possible. I would also suggest a daily rosary, asking our blessed Mother to lead you in purity to the heart of Jesus.

Blessings to you.