An Old School Catholic Message Board

I HATE napoleon dynamite

karin

Kip - Well, things are getting pretty serious right now. I mean, we chat online for, like, two hours every day so I guess you could say things are gettin' pretty serious.

"I love the way your sandy hair
floats through the air.
To me its like a lullaby,
I'm just flying by,
Oh so high,
like a kite tied to a stick."

"LAFAWNduh" on a cardboard sign. haha. enough said.

That movie is funny.

I respect that everone's humor is different, and some have no sense of humor. But if you feel the need to hate on it, why?

Good clean fun.

I give it two great big priest thumbs way up.

ok one i have a sense of humor and two, it was a poorly done movie, it moved to slow and what yall are luaghing at is the personality of the characters. That they are so ridiculasly stupid or social freaks or how they are losers or freaks. To me luaghing at them is the same as luaghing at retards, you are no better than those jocks in that movie.

Thinking about it, playwrights and directors and that sort try to get a message across to people in their works. Maybe there is a deep meaning to this movie poking at society and how we treat others that are different from us. in that case the movie was actually good for the message, but i dont know if many people realize that
My other problem with the movie was that it was poorly done. I watched the Special features and realized that alot was cut out that would of actually made the film better. It was as if they filmed everything at random connected it somehow and deleted some parts that in fact had some value. not really good.

Edited by Jazz4jesus

Hey now! I was one of those social freaks/misfits in high school. I laugh cause it's true not cause they're losers. I think it's not so much how much humor you have but more what type. Like what makes you laugh. Some people find Monty Python hilarious while others love Jamie Fox, it's all part of your personality.

[quote name='Jazz4jesus' date='Feb 28 2005, 11:55 AM'] ok one i have a sense of humor and two, it was a poorly done movie, it moved to slow and what yall are luaghing at is the personality of the characters. That they are so ridiculasly stupid or social freaks or how they are losers or freaks. To me luaghing at them is the same as luaghing at retards, you are no better than those jocks in that movie.

Thinking about it, playwrights and directors and that sort try to get a message across to people in their works. Maybe there is a deep meaning to this movie poking at society and how we treat others that are different from us. in that case the movie was actually good for the message, but i dont know if many people realize that
My other problem with the movie was that it was poorly done. I watched the Special features and realized that alot was cut out that would of actually made the film better. It was as if they filmed everything at random connected it somehow and deleted some parts that in fact had some value. not really good. [/quote]
I dont laugh AT them, I laugh because I can relate to them. We all have a little Napoleon in us. Who hasn't thought of throwing an action figure out a window and dragging it behind us in a moving vehicle?

Is it just me? :mellow:

:cyclops:

[quote]ok one i have a sense of humor and two, it was a poorly done movie, it moved to slow and what yall are luaghing at is the personality of the characters. [/quote]
Yes, we laugh at the personality of the characters. Know why? Because most of us recognize [b]ourselves[/b] or people we know in those characters. For me, it's refreshing for these oddballs to be the heroes of the movie. I think they're cool, because they make my oddities cool.

[quote]That they are so ridiculasly stupid or social freaks or how they are losers or freaks. To me luaghing at them is the same as luaghing at retards, you are no better than those jocks in that movie. [/quote]
Well, obviously you see yourself as a superior to people who act like this. We may not be better than the jocks in the movie but this statement makes me think that you [b]are[/b] the jocks.

[quote]My other problem with the movie was that it was poorly done. [/quote]
Poorly done? That's just crazy. This movie deserved an Oscar nomination.

Just follow your heart. That's what I do.

[quote name='Jazz4jesus' date='Feb 28 2005, 11:55 AM'] ok one i have a sense of humor and two, it was a poorly done movie, it moved to slow and what yall are luaghing at is the personality of the characters. That they are so ridiculasly stupid or social freaks or how they are losers or freaks. To me luaghing at them is the same as luaghing at retards, you are no better than those jocks in that movie.

My other problem with the movie was that it was poorly done. I watched the Special features and realized that alot was cut out that would of actually made the film better. It was as if they filmed everything at random connected it somehow and deleted some parts that in fact had some value. not really good. [/quote]
I wasn't laughing at the characters in a way that looked down on them. I was laughing because what they say is funny :) They're funny, likable people, and they remind me of people I knew in real life. I don't look down on my siblings, but I can laugh at them sometimes :) I got the positive message it was conveying too.

Like dUST said, less offensive than Shrek, where they kill a bird. Good, harmless fun.

Haha Luthie. When I saw that scene I bursted out laughing. It brings up memories of throwing gummy bears out the car window on the interstate to see if they bounced. Good times good times.

[quote name='dUSt' date='Feb 28 2005, 12:07 PM'] Yes, we laugh at the personality of the characters. Know why? Because most of us recognize [b]ourselves[/b] or people we know in those characters. For me, it's refreshing for these oddballs to be the heroes of the movie. I think they're cool, because they make my oddities cool.
[/quote]
*nods*

While I don't know if it deserves an Oscar, it doesn't deserve to be criticized so harshly when it wasn't supposed to be taken so seriously. :) If you don't like it, you don't like it, but other people aren't stupid for liking it.

There are so many movies out there that deserve to be put down (and probably boycotted), but this isn't one of them.