An Old School Catholic Message Board

Finding a Spiritual Director

Totus Tuus

Hi everyone,

I really need to find a spiritual director (priest). It is very clear to me that I should not go further in my discernment until I have one. However, despite my huge (arch)diocese, I am at a loss as to where to find a holy priest who is not steeped in work already. I have heard that there are some Fraternity of St. Peter priests somewhere around here, but I don't know where and I don't know any of them. My parish priest is old and though he's awesome, I don't want to ask him because he's SO busy already.

I've been praying about it and I just haven't found any priests who I felt God was calling me to ask for direction.

How did you guys find a spiritual director?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Totus tuus,
Lauren

Is there a Newman Center around you with good priests? It seems like they might be able to point you to somebody or even the vocations office if your diocese has one of those.

Well I dont think it is possible for you to find a preist who is not busy. Because since there is a shortage they all are. I found one by asking my parish priest. He reccomended a wonderful book for any one who wants spriritual direction or for any one who is in it. It's called Seeking Spiritual Direction by Thomas Dubay, S.M. . I reccomend it highly it is a very helpful in knowing exactly what spirirtual direction is and all about it.

Yes, I was going to get that book but I forgot who wrote it! Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll try and get a hold of that book. Any further comments (personally experiences...) would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link, send them an email, what diocese are you in?

[url="http://www.vocation.com/contactus.asp"]http://www.vocation.com/contactus.asp[/url]

oh i love having a spiritual director it is so wonderful and helps me with my spiritual life so much and with my vocation

Totus Tuus,
My recommendation to you is to find one..and just ask! I always fear bugging priest because they are so busy. This is their vocation. They are there to help you. It is probably refreshing for them to have a young person come in a seek spiritual direction for a possible vocation. It brings hope!
I finally got myself in gear and just dived in and asked. I have only met twice with this specific one and it is wonderful. I am not a huge talker...so, I'm sure it's hard for him.. but the little advice he is able to give me goes a long way. I have so much going on that my life seems like a muddled mess... they can help you in tremendous ways to get you on the right path and try to help you sort out what different things mean in your life. I find SD difficult... I have to pump myself up for it. I enjoy the time talking with the priest.. but I am always a bit nervous because I have the hardest time putting in words what I am feeling ... and I can have so much going on earlier that week that is hindering my spiritual growth then that day i may be fine so it is hard to bring it up and apply it. They are there to help bring that all out! It's not this dreadful thing to me much any more although I still struggle... you have to look at it as a set time away to let the Holy Spirit guide your conversation so that you may grow together in seeking your call...
I also recommend Thomas Dubays Spiritual Direction book- I have yet to read the whole thing- but what I have read it is really good. It will give you a look at what to look for.
Look for someone who you can trust.. someone who you are comfortable with.
Good luck. I will be praying that you may find that person that will help you grow towards your vocation.
God bless,
Julia

I would disagree, the parish priest is a spirtual father to his parish. If he is a good prayerful faithful priest direction from him would be even better! My experience with priests is that they can be so busy with "the important stuff" (tongue in cheek/sarcasm) that many of them don;t have as much oppurtunity for the pastoral things such as spirtual direction. Pray to the Holy Spirit to ask who the SPirit wants to help you listen to the gentle whisper of God!

Good luck and know of my prayers,

in Christ and Mary,
fr. Matt, OFM Conv.

When I was in high school, our priest ran a discernment group for those of us who were discerning. It ended up being pretty much just me toward the end, and then when I worked at the rectory during the summer before I started college, we'd often just talk about discernment and he would give me all kinds of advice. I think sometimes your parish priest can be a good idea because he knows you. One parish by me is huge and extremely busy, but the priests welcome the parishoners to seek spiritual direction from them.

Jen

Honestly, There are other people who can do spiritual directing. St. Theresa of Aviala said that your spiritual director should be the best theologian around. On top of a spiritual director, one may need a confessor, this person needs to be a priest for obvious reasons.

I used to be involved in Regnum Christi and I had a difficult time receiving spiritual direction from a lay woman. No one seems to understand my discomfort with it. So I appreciate the affirmation that you guys think a priest is best.
I am very grateful for the comments, guys. I think I will ask my parish priest what he [i]thinks[/i]. If he offers to give me spiritual direction (he's all the way in downtown Houston and I moved an hour north recently so that is hard for me), I will do that. If he can recommend someone, I would wholeheartedly trust his judgment becuase he's so faithful.
I am not comfortable going to the diocese for advice on this issue. They aren't particularly... faithful... in all areas. To put it gently.

Totus tuus,
Lauren

i will be keeping your search for a spiritual director in my prayers! i am very blessed at my parish with 4 very holy priests and so it hasn't been a problem for me. until Jesus sends you the right guide for your soul, just keep begging Him to help you and ask the Holy Spirit to guide all that you do until the time when you can be under a spiritual director to be obedient to.