An Old School Catholic Message Board

Switchfoot

Dudette

I recently started listening to their songs more. I heard that they are a Christian band and by some of the songs I've listened to they seem to be.

What are you thoughts about them?

i am actually listening to "this is your life" right now! i love this song. i also like "dare you to move" a lot. :)

DemonSlayer

The disappointing thing is that they've started to be marketed as a band who write songs about surfing instead of God.

melporcristo

[quote name='DemonSlayer' date='Mar 3 2005, 10:52 PM'] The disappointing thing is that they've started to be marketed as a band who write songs about surfing instead of God. [/quote]
surfing?? what?? Thats really sad.
I just remember back in the day when they came out with their first CD "THe Ledgend of Chin" they had a song out in secular radio too called Chem 6a which was totally rockin. And then the next year, like 1998, they came to Idaho Falls on tour and I was in my "too cool for Christianity" phase so I didn't see them ... now I feel stupid for not seeing them live.

[quote name='DemonSlayer' date='Mar 4 2005, 12:52 AM'] The disappointing thing is that they've started to be marketed as a band who write songs about surfing instead of God. [/quote]
that is sad, but some of their songs do have a Christian meaning and they do mention God.

[quote name='jiyoung' date='Mar 4 2005, 03:53 AM'] i feel like they're selling out. if i was a Christian musician i wouldn't want to be on mtv. yuck. [/quote]
they arent that proud about it......

i have been to a show of theirs and the lead singer was like......this song means a lot more than MTV could ever do to it......it was ment to live

they are a good band that hides the "preachy" side of christian music.....and i like that about them because i am not a big fan of most christian music.............

The fact is that they use one of the most amazing Christian producers in CCM music, Charlie Peacock. Buy anything that he's produced. He's good enough to be a seculiar producer when most have a long shot. They used to be an outwardly Christian band, but they have decided to move to the seculiar route. I understand that they won't play Christian venues anymore, and you will rarely, if ever, here them mention God on stage anymore. They are sellouts, but they do make good music.

They use their talents to glorify God.

I think that they live out the Lay vocation really well. Songs need not be about God to please God. And while there are not nuetrally moral acts, I think that any clean band nowadays is a good band.

They are smokin hot

melporcristo

yup they are hot ... not in the "cute" way either, just music wise -- promise!
My favorite song is "Let That Be Enough" in their New Way to Be Human CD good good song!

<3 Mel