An Old School Catholic Message Board

Adopt-A-Seminarian

littleflower+JMJ

littleflower+JMJ

has anyone heard of it? Its an awesome idea to have an organization or group, or even a family or person, "adopt" a seminarian who is currently in the seminary....you support them, pray for them, encourage them and really get to know them....

i think its awesome because many times its hard for them to leave friends and family behind and to know that there are ppl out there who are thinking of them really encourages them...

our CDA org adopted one last year, and it was awesome to see him go to being a seminarian to a priest now! lol :wub: :hearts:

our youth group has--and we just got our 1st grade class to write letters to him.....

i give this idea 4 thumbs up in my book! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :deal:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I have heard about it before! It is a very good idea! I don't know if I have ever helped out with adopting one though... :(

littleflower+JMJ

i was thinking it might be a good idea for those going to be a nun or sister too!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I know the Knights of Colombus do help support orders and communities that people enter, both in prayer and financially-both money and material goods/needs

oh man that sounds likea really cool idea. Those seminarians need our support.. i will have to check into this..

So is it spiritual support or financial? We have a friend in the seminary so we pray for him all the time ^_^ ...

I found a website that you can adopt seminarians, etc. I emailed them, they mailed me three names to pray for.

I can't remember which site it was though. :(

ThyWillBeDone

Yep there are lots of groups that "adopt" seminarians. Knights of Columbus are big on it, I have heard of lots of catholic grade schools or high schools doing it, as well priest taking part. Every type of support we can get is always great, be it financial, prayers or just telling us your behind us. I firmly believe that most seminarians could never make more then a few weeks if they get to a seminary at all if wasn't for the prayers and support of friends, family and complete strangers. I was at a vocation holy hour for my area last night and just having people come up to me and telling me the support me and are praying for me, really renergized me. But anyway back to the point, "adopting" a seminarian is awesome for the seminarian and the person or group doing the adopting
God Bless

Theologian in Training

[quote name='ThyWillBeDone' date='Mar 8 2005, 03:34 PM'] I firmly believe that most seminarians could never make more then a few weeks if they get to a seminary at all if wasn't for the prayers and support of friends, family and complete strangers. [/quote]
Man, you do not know how right you are. I am in my third year, approaching diaconate. If I did not have prayers, financial support, and more prayers, I don't quite know where I would be right now. It sounds easy when you enter, and seems easy as you progress, then reality hits, and you realize how incredibly difficult it could be at times. If it were not for prayer, (others and my own) I can almost guarantee I would not have gotten this far.

I am not trying to discourage anyone at all, nor am I facing a myriad of problems, rather I am merely stating the reality of the situation. However, if there were no challenge, and we slid through without a bruise or a cut, then did we really fight, and were we really driven, or did we just go through motions in order to avoid the rewarding pain that brought us to that point?

God Bless

Our seminarian friend is with the Legionaires. When he broke his arm, he had to send out letters asking for money to pay for his cast. I know that it is often hard to procure money for the seminarians. But I bet what's even harder is making it through seminary without talking yourself out of it... that's where the prayers come in. God bless!

littleflower+JMJ

yeah we're learning how hard it is for them...

we were talking to one of the dad's of our seminarian and he said he has trouble because you find out who your real friends are when you send out letters and no one responds :(

but its so much stuff--being away, long hours of study, etc.

as for those who asked if its financially or spiritually--it can be either and sometimes both. :D

daugher-of-Mary

God sent me two seminarians last year to pray for and they have both become real brothers to me. It's so beautiful to see them grow and prepare for the Priesthood of Jesus Christ...praying for them has also helped me grow in my own vocation to religious life. It seems that Sisters have a special vocation to be the mothers of all souls, but especially priests. Definitely "adopt" a seminarian!...they have so many crosses and really need our prayers.