An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Order silimar to CFR's?

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

photosynthesis

their retreats really are great. I went to a Mount 2000 retreat with the CFR's in Emmitsburg, Maryland and was slain in the spirit :) it was actually at one of their retreats where I really recommitted myself to the Catholic Faith. it wasn't a public thing, just me and the Blessed Sacrament.

Birgitta Noel

I don't think I'd call the Community of St. John traditionalists....check out their site and read some of their history, then come back with any questions, etc. [url="http://www.stjean.com"]Click Here[/url]

They are very orthodox and have taught me all I know about contemplation!

• 3 months later...

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Jul 8 2005, 07:48 PM']Does anyone know the address for the Franciscans of the Primitive Observance?
[right][snapback]636544[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:idontknow: Does anyone?

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Oct 30 2005, 12:21 PM']:idontknow:  Does anyone?
[right][snapback]773955[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I would give this information a shot: he Friars of the Primitive Observance, a reform of the Friars of the Renewal (Immaculate Conception Friary, 107 Rivet St., New Bedford, MA 02744, USA)

DM

[quote name='Fiat_Voluntas_Tua' date='Mar 16 2005, 03:13 PM']Any really good Male Orders in the Kansas City / Missouri / (South Eastern) Nebraska area?
[right][snapback]548650[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[url="http://www.mountmichael.org/"]http://www.mountmichael.org/[/url] - I know Nebraska's a big state, and I don't know wherethey're specifically located.

I used the "search by location" function on www.religiouslife.org. Have you looked up the Vocations websites for various diocese in that area?

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Oct 30 2005, 11:21 AM']:idontknow:  Does anyone?
[right][snapback]773955[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

They do not have a website. If you google "Franciscans of Primitive Observance" you come up with a few newspaper articles, etc written about them. I have yet to find their address- and have even looked up local cities websited (New Bedford, MA) as well as diocesan pages.

My suggestion would be to write to the diocese. Or even email one of the Diocese where they're located (Fall River, MA or Burlington, VT). Or, write to one of their priests c/o their diocese. Other than that, the closest thing to an address I found is this quote: [i]" Brother Joseph Medio of the Franciscans of Primitive Observance, whose order has a residence on Rivet Street in New Bedford, also will be ordained a transitional deacon. "[/i] Good luck in contacting them.

[quote name='passionheart' date='Oct 30 2005, 02:05 PM']I would give this information a shot: he Friars of the Primitive Observance, a reform of the Friars of the Renewal (Immaculate Conception Friary, 107 Rivet St., New Bedford, MA 02744, USA)

DM
[right][snapback]774030[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

YAY- that's more than I could find. Hooray for an address!

[quote name='Fiat_Voluntas_Tua' date='Mar 16 2005, 04:13 PM']Any really good Male Orders in the Kansas City / Missouri / (South Eastern) Nebraska area?
[right][snapback]548650[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hello,

I was curious are looking for contemplative or active orders? As well, are you interested in the priesthood, brotherhood or monk???

Cheers,

DM

The Mount Michael Benedictines are located in Schuyler, NE a little past Elkhorn.

They are AWESOME and run a great high school!

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Jul 8 2005, 07:48 PM']Does anyone know the address for the Franciscans of the Primitive Observance?
[right][snapback]636544[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I have the address for the friary in New Bedford some place.. I also should have the address for the hermitages in Vermont, but I'm not sure if they still kick it up there.
The problem is that this info is probably in a box at my old house.

You thinking of visiting?

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='passionheart' date='Oct 30 2005, 01:05 PM']I would give this information a shot: he Friars of the Primitive Observance, a reform of the Friars of the Renewal (Immaculate Conception Friary, 107 Rivet St., New Bedford, MA 02744, USA)

DM
[right][snapback]774030[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
yeah that's it. hehe :)

catholicflower

If it interests you, THey also have a house in Emmitsburg, MD (they go to college/seminary at Mount St. Mary's) If you are interested in their address there, I can find out for you (visiting this weekend)

MC IMaGiNaZUN

I think it is kind of funny how someone asks about CFR similar orders, and people put up all these other orders that are nothing like them.

I am not saying that those orders are bad, but maybe not appropriate to the topic?

As far as i know, CFR's focus on the poorest of the poor in the Bronx and around New York City. But if you want to find an order like that, maybe another Franciscan type of order i would recommend.

SHALOM

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='MC IMaGiNaZUN' date='Nov 1 2005, 12:22 AM']I think it is kind of funny how someone asks about CFR similar orders, and people put up all these other orders that are nothing like them.

I am not saying that those orders are bad, but maybe not appropriate to the topic?

As far as i know, CFR's focus on the poorest of the poor in the Bronx and around New York City.  But if you want to find an order like that, maybe another Franciscan type of order i would recommend.

SHALOM
[right][snapback]775561[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The FPO's are relatively similar. They were founded by CFR's and they are something like a more contemplative version of the CFR's with a stricter discipline regarding poverty. Although both orders might resent this statement.
I've spent time with both communities and the similarities are very strong.

Actually, I remember in my very first visit to the CFR's having a conversation with Fr. Bernard in which we discussed my impression of the order, I said how much I loved the life but shared my desire for a more contemplative life (not to say they are not contemplative, they are quite so), it was actually he who recommended me to he FPO's so I assume he would agree (though perhaps not vocally) that they could be thought of as CFR's with a more contemplative emphasis.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Oct 31 2005, 10:08 AM']You thinking of visiting?
[right][snapback]774782[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
NOPE, I'M A GIRL. :blush:

I like learning about new orders. And their poverty appeals to me.
When I can I would like to send them a LITTLE money to help them.

Catholic flower would you get me that address? Thanks.

Edited by ofpheritup

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Nov 1 2005, 02:40 AM']NOPE, I'M A GIRL.   :blush:

I like learning about new orders. And their poverty appeals to me.
When I can I would like to send them a LITTLE money to help them.

Would the "Emmitsburg" visitor please try and get me an address?  Thanks.
[right][snapback]775697[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
shoot, that's the second time I've done that in the past week or so.. :blush:

mi scusi :weep: