An Old School Catholic Message Board

If This Ain't Scary Then I Don't Know What Is

littleflower+JMJ

Dude,

Where did you get the hocus pocus stuff?

I've never heard of a Catholic prayer that looks and sounds like a magic spell.

It sounds like something from "sainteria" (sp?), the voodoo stuff from New Orleans... which really isn't to the saints, but to their false gods.

God Bless, Love in Christ & Mary

ironmonk

Ironmonk,

a few years ago when we were trying to sell our house, my mom planted a statue of a saint upside down right underneath the 'for sale' sign. I don't remember the saint, but it may have been Joseph. She did this for good luck. I always thought that was weird, even when I was Catholic, and I was really hoping that this stuff wasn't truely a part of Catholocism. Your rebuke settled some of my fears.

But where does this stuff come from? I know my mom heard it from somebody, I don't know who or how, and I don't know how much she actually believed it would work, but it was scary nonetheless.

littleflower+JMJ

mulls that i agree is really scary, and it should be because that is one of the many "famous" abuses that ppl partake in....however, it is gravely wrong to do such a thing, its correlates with witchcraft and superstition...which is evil....

catholics are forbidden to do such a thing, because its NOT a church teaching and thats a fact. this past weekend my parish priest talked about just that and he is right. it is evil and wrong to do such a thing....but yet ppl can be ignorant, or whatever the case may be and be guilty of such things...my priest said if one ever did anything of that sort, they must go to confession for that is a grave sin....

and it doesn't not stop there, one of the most ridiculous things i have heard is that if you pray to st. anthony and he doesn't answer your prayers, you put him upsidedown in the freezer, as a "punishment!" or take St. Jude, the saint of hopeless cases, if yoiu ever need money or need to sell something you tape a coin to his mouth....

soo disrespectful, so dishonoring their holy and sacred image and name.....

its crazy and would make me want to to laugh if it wasn't so dark and sad....again the Church does not teach this, in fact, its forbidden to ever do that....its offensive to our Faith and teachings to do any of the above...and one must recognize that and avoid any of that sort at all times...

God BLEss!

littleflower+JMJ

YES!! thank you so much for asking and for all prayers! you know we only experienced high winds but practically NONE of the hurricane??

its was soo cool, all those prayers were answers, i can assure you that, im' a witnesss!

thank you soo much guys for all the prayers......but it missed us and we're glad....

i think kilroy experienced more than i did since it ended up going up north of me and south of her more...

thanks joyful it was nice of you to ask.....and i'm fine and dandy as can be.......THank God!

~@~

Kilroy the Ninja

We got a lot of rain and a lot of wind, and some of the private piers along the water (in Kemah, Seabrook, Galveston and Clear Lake - that's where NASA is) were lost, but pretty much that's about it.

Claudette did more damage in Port O'Connor where it actually "hit".

Be sure to include those residents in ya'lls prayers...

littleflower+JMJ

Ironmonk,

a few years ago when we were trying to sell our house, my mom planted a statue of a saint upside down right underneath the 'for sale' sign. I don't remember the saint, but it may have been Joseph. She did this for good luck. I always thought that was weird, even when I was Catholic, and I was really hoping that this stuff wasn't truely a part of Catholocism. Your rebuke settled some of my fears.

But where does this stuff come from? I know my mom heard it from somebody, I don't know who or how, and I don't know how much she actually believed it would work, but it was scary nonetheless.

has anyone ever heard of these? i have....weanted to bump and ask..

In response to JMJ's question: No. Not for a Catholic to do something like that. I've heard of non-Catholics thinking rosaries are magical.

In response to the ritual I prescribed:

It was taken from a book published in the US called: Heaven Help Us: A Worrier's guide to Patron Saints.

THe ritual isnt supposed to do anything really. Its not magical. One just does it to psyco's oneself to belive that everything is gonna be ok. Its like prozac sans the harmful chemicals.

I also belive that if you would take time out of your busy hectic schedule (which unfortunately I am prone to due to the fact I live Singapore) and do these little things it shows that you really would like the intercession of the saints for help.

Its just like getting your throat blessed during the feast day of St Blaise. The priest puts two sticks of beeswax candles in a cross around your throat and says the blessing. You dont really NEED to get them blessed to ensure you're free from throat ailments during the year but you go to show your sincerity.

I'm sorry if I freaked anyone out with the prescribed rituals. I didnt mean to.