An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confessions....

Confessionator741

Confessionator741

I have a question.

Mortal sin. You cant recieve the Eucharist with it.

So, how do we Catholic gain forgiveness for mortal sins?

Confession.

And after we complete our penance and are truely sorry for our offenses, we can recieve the Eucharist once again...

Now heres my question.

(this may only apply to my church, but im not sure)

Why dont chruch's offer confessions before mass? Wouldnt that increase the # of people confessing sins, and recieving the Eucharist? As of right now, my church only offers confessions on saturday mornings, and for those of us that work saturdays (me), have a hard time getting to confession. Now, wouldnt it make sense to offer it before mass, where many people are to begin with?

just a thought.

B

If you want confession, ask a priest. He is obliged to hear your confession, even if it's at 3 in the morning. So the idea of "having a hard time getting to confession" is a bit of a strange concept to me :P

littleflower+JMJ

i know of masses that have confession before mass and even during mass. the lines are always long.

depends on how the priest does it. but you can recommend times if you just talk to him.

gotta have that confession!! ;)

+JMJ

I was always taught if you have a Mortal Sin on your soul you are barred from receiving Communion, however if you are UNABLE to see a priest you may make an act of Contrition receive Communion but you MUST go to Confession ASAP after Mass and BEFORE you go to Communion again.

As a priest I will always hear Confessions at any time if practical. Sometimes people will come to the sacristy just before Mass when you are already vested, they ask for a "quick confession" they have not prepared themselves, and sometimes they might be "playing on" the lack of time before Mass, instead of using quite deliberation and allowing the priest to help the penitent.

I was told by a very good priest that if you are unable to go to confession prior to mass but had the intention to do so that you may receive the Eucharist. You should make a heartfelt act of contrition at the beginning of mass and this assumes that you plan to go to confession right after mass. He said something that has stuck with me; "The Eucharist is not for perfect people, it's to help people become perfect." Hope this helps.

By the way, I like your nick :lol:

God Bless,

Joe

If a person in mortal sin were unable to get to confession before receiving Holy Communion, they could still receive Holy Communion ONLY for a very serious reason, such as danger of death. I don't think someone's work schedule not accomodating access to confession would be considered a serious reason.

Don't know where I read it, but I remember clearly learning that one liturgical action is not to impinge upon another; i.e., that Confessions should stop when Mass begins so that one's whole and undivided attention is given to one Sacrament at a time.

Anyone know the source?

Mary's Knight, La

Katholikos, sounds like something out of cannon law, but i definitely agree with you on that. Confessionator741, my old church did offer Confession right before mass and only then but we also had a priest who traveled out to us, but my guess is that if you call the priest you can prob get him to be there before mass for you

The problem we have in our Diocese is just the amount of priest. Our priest are spread thin so they sometimes only have time at the specified times.

littleflower+JMJ

Don't know where I read it, but I remember clearly learning that one liturgical action is not to impinge upon another; i.e., that Confessions should stop when Mass begins so that one's whole and undivided attention is given to one Sacrament at a time.

Anyone know the source?

:unsure: i know of one parish that does this.....not sure how often or anything but i do know they stop before the consecration.

i dont' go to that parish so i wouldn't be too familiar with it......

:unsure:

If you want confession, ask a priest. He is obliged to hear your confession, even if it's at 3 in the morning. So the idea of "having a hard time getting to confession" is a bit of a strange concept to me :P

I know priests are supposed to be available to hear confessions all the time, but my priests are only available during office hours and schedualed confession hours. I don't even know how to get ahold of my priests if it's an emergency, I would have to call my youth leader and tell her and then have her find the priest and tell him, and by that time there's no telling what could have happened. My priests don't care what happens to their parish as long as we go to church and pay them.

My priests don't care what happens to their parish as long as we go to church and pay them.

*cough* *splutter* Excuse me?? That's very harsh. I urge you to consider your words carefully. Do you know the danger of attacking a priest? If you have a problem with your priests' conduct, you should talk to the Bishop, not make unfounded claims on a website forum.

I am not impressed.

cmotherofpirl

If anybody has any documentation about recieving Holy Communion with a mortal sin on your soul please post it, I have been told its absolutely forbidden.

cmotherofpirl

Guys I hate to tell you this but

CCC1415 Anyone who desires to recieve Christ in the Eucharistic Communion must be in the state of grace. Anymore aware of having sinned mortailly must NOT recieve Communion without having recieved absolution in the sacrament of Penance.

No ifs, ands, buts, or qualifications.