An Old School Catholic Message Board

Marian Priests

the_rev

Fr. Don Calloway, MIC said there is a need for Marian Priests.

Is it possible to be a Marian Priest without belong to a Marian order?

Thanks,

Eddie

Tonight on Life on the Rock... is that what you're talking about, Rev? He was sooo awesome if we're thinking of the same guy. Like a young version of Fr. Corapi and a new version of St. Augustine all mixed into one great bundle of a holy priest.

:ahem:

Catholictothecore

never heard of him....but Fr. Corapi is one of those "not-a-saint-because-he's-still-breathing" guys. I love his story. God is awesome. I want info on this, too....like, what's a marian priest?

• 2 years later...

I guess the question is, do you think there is a need for priests who love the Blessed Mother? Do you think a priest lacks something if they don't have a devotion to the Blessed Mother. etc.

Marieteresa

Hey Rev I had been wondering about that myself....when I was in New Orleans I heard that there were a couple of really awesome priests in the diocese and they were called Marian priests althought they weren't part of an order. They were called Marian priests because they had a deep devotion to Our Blessed Mother and to the Blessed Sacrament. Sr. Mary Imelda could clarify this better than I because she knew these priests better than I. I only got a chance to meet one when he came to do confession at the monastery. I will email her to see if she could clarify this for me.

Chiquitunga

[url="http://www.medjugorjechicago.org/"]Fr. Becker[/url], a diocescan priest in Chicago, is definitely what you would call a Marian priest. There's a couple videos of him there when he was on EWTN. He is well known in the Chicago area as being a great priest, and offers Mass very reverently. He has something written here on the importance of Marian devotion for priests - [url="http://www.medjugorjechicago.org/marian_movement_priests.htm"]The Marian Movement of Priests Saved My Vocation![/url]

Here's a statement on EWTN's site about the mov't- [url="http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/MMP.htm"]Marian Movement of Priests[/url]

Also here's an article on [url="http://www.spiritdaily.org/MHB%20editorials/Priesthood/calloway.htm"]Fr. Calloway's conversion story[/url] Most people already know of it, but it's just fun to post about. I saw a video of him giving a talk live about it, and it was so incredible! I saw [url="http://www.aquinasandmore.com/index.cfm/title/No-Turning-Back/FuseAction/store.ItemDetails/SKU/3632/index.htm"][i]No Turning Back[/i][/url] too, but the one where he was speaking live was much better - much more animated.

[i]No Turning Back[/i] was definitely done well though. It had the funny detail he didn't say the same way in the live talk about how a friend who knew Japanese interpreted what was stamped on his passport, when he was thrown out of Japan as . . . "Get out!" LOL

Edited by Margaret Clare

Chiquitunga

[quote name='the_rev' post='1290627' date='Jun 7 2007, 09:01 PM']I guess the question is, do you think there is a need for priests who love the Blessed Mother? Do you think a priest lacks something if they don't have a devotion to the Blessed Mother. etc.[/quote]
Yes, I think priests definitely lack something if they don't have a devotion to Our Lady, [i]BIG TIME.[/i]

AccountDeleted

I read a meditation by Padre Pio on the Blessed Virgin, and it was so full of love and devotion not only for Mary, but also for our God who created her without sin just so that he could send His Son to us for our redemption --- that it just inspired a complete love of God as well. I definitely think that priests need to have a deep reverence for Our Holy Mother. Her total submission to God's Will made Jesus' birth possible. She is Queen of Heaven and the Mother of God - what is not to adore??? :love:

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='558844' date='Apr 1 2005, 05:51 AM']Like a young version of Fr. Corapi and a new version of St. Augustine all mixed into one great bundle of a holy priest.

:ahem:[/quote]

:lol:

ofpheritup

[quote name='the_rev' post='1290627' date='Jun 7 2007, 10:01 PM']Do you think a priest lacks something if they don't have a devotion to the Blessed Mother. etc.[/quote]
Yes.

Mary is the perfect teacher. She understands and knows her Son perfectly.
If you want to learn about Jesus you go to Mary, his mother.
This is true of everyone, if you want to learn about the person you go to their mother.
Priests (especially) need that source, that connection.

If you had to drive a car with no tires how far do you think you would get?
For lack of a better analogy, Mary is the "tires" on the car to Jesus.