An Old School Catholic Message Board

Don't Mess With Him

geetarplayer

In my chemistry class, I sit among a number of juniors and seniors who, at the end of each class, always make raunchy jokes and talk about getting wasted on the weekend and having sex and all that bad stuff. I never said anything because they always talked among themselves. Today, however, was different as I was dragged into the conversation:

Justin: Is your girlfriend hot?

Me: I don't think about her in that way.

Djon: Oh, come on. There's got to be some attraction.

Justin: So is she hot?

Me: She's beautiful. (I refuse to use the word 'hot' because it refers to lust.)

Djon: Does she have big [breasts]?

Me: Okay, that's enough.

Djon: Does she?

Me: Just stop.

(a little later)

Djon: Me and Mark when on a double date over the weekend. (He was joking.)

Me: Yeah, that was fun. (I played along.)

Djon: We saw a movie. Mark ****ed the **** out of his girlfriend.

Me: That's uncalled for. Just stop talking. Now.

Djon: He did her good.

Me: Djon, you're upsetting me. You've gone too far.

Amanda: *referring to my Crucifix* Hey, he's Catholic. You'd better not mess with him.

Djon: So what? I'm Catholic too.

Then we all kind of laughed. That pretty much ended the conversation. I was grateful to Amanda, a year older than me and an acquaintance of Djon's. I don't know if she's his friend or not, but she always smiles disapprovingly when he makes a joke at her expense or insults her "in a friendly manner". I think next time I hear Djon and Justin insulting her with "jokes" I will be quicker to say something about it.

I was surprised that Amanda knew about my Catholic faith, and even more surprised that she would tell someone not to mess with me because of it. This lead to some questions:

Why shouldn't you mess with us Catholics?

Is it because we're frequently persecuted? Should you not mess with us in the same regard that you should not mess with Jews or Native Americans?

Is it because we'll go off on you if you do?

Is it because we are more sensitive to your hurtful statements?

-Mark

P.S. Not to say that everyone should be more like me (the Lord knows that I am not the best Catholic in the world), but I think it's agreed that you should try not to be a Djon Catholic.

Wow, you go Mark.

I know how hard it is. Trust me. I feel like slapping people sometimes. Especially in my Spanish class (all seniors, a couple of juniors and me). Sometimes it seems like all they talk about is having sex and who and what and where and making disgusting jokes. I seriously suffer. This may sound weird but I really feel so so so so bad. I really feel and think how Our Lady must be sadly shedding tears. I don't know, it makes me mad, mad, mad, mad, mad, mad.

Sorry for bursting out like this. i just seriously suffer in that class. I keep praying to Mary, every saint associated with purity, and especially the divine mercy chaplet. In my head i keep repeatring over and over "For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

I avoid conversations like that. Luckily i have almost never been drawn into them. It takes a lot of guts to tell them to stop, or that it makes you uncomfortable. Gotta hyand it to you, Mark!!

that betta not be Don John of Austria on this board!

haaa im pretty sure itisint.

anyway, i donno what the reasoning of a secular type person saying "dont mess with Catholics" :blink:

It's funny. Last night, when I was saying goodbye to my youth minister, she said, "If anyone gives you any beef or anything this week, just say to them, 'Get behind me, Satan!' That's what Jesus did, once." I would've said just that, but Djon was already sitting behind me.

-Mark

hyperdulia again

I really feel and think how Our Lady must be sadly shedding tears. I don't know, it makes me mad, mad, mad, mad, mad, mad.

Sorry for bursting out like this. i just seriously suffer in that class. I keep praying to Mary, every saint associated with purity, and especially the divine mercy chaplet. In my head i keep repeatring over and over "For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

are you Catholic Monica?

<godfather voice>Because you don't mess with the Family </godfather voice>

LOL!!!! We just started watching that movie in my Creative Writing class today!! :lol: B)

Yeah, Monica? I'm confused. I though you had an issue with devotion to Mary?

Hey, I'm not complaining though! Mary does suffer much when her children through Christ Jesus abuse their chastity.

No, Monica isn't Catholic (she said so herself earlier), but she said she's been attracted to the Catholic Church (although she said she has no intention to convert).

cmotherofpirl

I would like to point out something I learned after many years of dealing with teenagers, that the ones who brag the most are getting the least.

i'm completely with you on this, Monica.

i try to let my feelings show. like everytime a comment is made like that, i act like i just got punched. show em how much it hurts a Christian, then maybe they'll eventually realize how much it hurts Christ.