An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bible - What Translation?

Ellenita

cmotherofpirl

I use the RSV CE, with is used in the St Ignatius Study Bible and Navarre Bible. Both of these you buy a piece at a time. The Navarre gives you the latin directly under the English. Both have extensive footnotes, the Navarre covers themes and ideas better and the St Ignatius line-by-line commentary better. Both are cross referenced extensively with special articles, word studies etc.

You buy them a piece at a time.

The Navarre Bible :Gospel of John is 255 pages long(paperback).

Edited by cmotherofpirl

There are 4 officially oked versions of the bible out there for Catholic use approved by the vatican...

RSV (Revised Standard Version)

New Revised Standard Version

Jerusaleum Bible

New Jerusalem Bible

New American Bible/Ignatius Study Bible (Same thing)

All others have either been disapproved for use, although there are 3 or 4 different versions that the vatican has not approved or disapproved either. Stick with these and you will be fine.

cmotherofpirl

There are 4 officially oked versions of the bible out there for Catholic use approved by the vatican...

RSV (Revised Standard Version)

New Revised Standard Version

Jerusaleum Bible

New Jerusalem Bible

New American Bible/Ignatius Study Bible (Same thing)

All others have either been disapproved for use, although there are 3 or 4 different versions that the vatican has not approved or disapproved either.  Stick with these and you will be fine.

The New American bible suffers from inclusive language, the St Ignatius bible does not.

If Jesus says my brothers the bible would translate it my brothers and sisters so not to offend feminists.

Well I guess the NAB's inclusive text isn't that serious, and some passages may read differently. But we have the Catholic Church, so such errors aren't as serious to us, as to those who put their trust in the Bible alone.

I believe the inclusive language is in the 1987 revision of the NAB. I still have my 1970 Confraternity version of the NAB, and I don't notice any inclusive language butchering.

But then again, when I was growing up, that's what was use at mass and in school, so that is the version I'm used to....