An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Class Is Reading Voltaire...

VeraMaria

Yeah, so my 9th grade freshman class is reading CANDIDE by Voltaire.

To sum up the anti-catholic literature we've read this Semester :angry:.

For examples in our World Civ "religions of the world" course, we had to read books for each religion (that reoresented each religion). My teacher chose Loraine Boettner’s book, Roman Catholicism. Which seems to me a bible of anti-catholicism. I told him many times, he just got mad and told me not to stick my nose into his busines, that i was only 14 and he knew what he was doing.

It doesn't help that there's a priest or monk/friar every three pages in the book. And every single time the Franciscan/Benedictine/Dominican/priest is always either stealing, murdering, drinking, or raping. Especially raping, they are always in houses of prostitution. They kill women and babies. One of the main characters is the illegitiumate daughter of the Pope. And they represent the Church.

My grade hates the Catholic Church. Really, the majority being Jewish and never having been exposed to any type of Catholicism, they are turning away in disgust.

This makes me mad. Really angry. But i can't do anything, and when i try to present the catholic Church (with evidence) as what it really is, he gives me bad grades for being "innacurate" because the book says otherwise.

There's really nothing i can do. :angry: :(

cmotherofpirl

What do your parents say?

I would be visiting the school, and talking to the principal.

I would be saying my child is being discriminated against because she is forced to read something objectionable and ofensive to her religious beliefs.

Wow, that's sad and sickening that you're forced to read those sorts of things at school.

I can't believe you're being forced to read Loraine Boettner's, Roman Catholicism. That'd be like being forced to learn about Judaism from Nazi writings.

I'd take the advice to contact the Catholic League, but make sure you have your parents visit the school about that as well. Take it to the administration if they fail to take the discrimination seriously.

Also, you might want to check out Catholic Answers @ www.catholic.com. They have some stuff on Loraine Boettner's book and its inaccuracies. Maybe you could print it out to show your teacher, principal, or school administration.

God bless,

Jen

All of these being good suggestions, with the exception

of crushing

still the best thing to do for you

is to rember what S. Paul told lil S. Tim

that his youth is not a hiderance

but most importantly

Your actions will speak loader then words.

Also, you might want to check out Catholic Answers @ www.catholic.com.  They have some stuff on Loraine Boettner's book and its inaccuracies.  Maybe you could print it out to show your teacher, principal, or school administration.

I dont know if this will work because I think the teacher wants the anti-catholic stuff passed. The book could be violating seperation of church and state. I would definately complain. and complain loud.

Spiritual_Arsonist

There's really nothing i can do.

Vera,

There is much you can do. Speak up! In my math class, the teacher mentioned that ABC would be airing a program on the Da Vinci Code. I told the class that if they were going to talk about it, I would leave the room, and said that there is a lot of frigged of theologians out there. I am not saying you must have a comment for everything but I suggest you bring a copy of the CATECHISM to class. You cannot go wrong this way.

I will also pray for you and the class.

To sum up the anti-catholic literature we've read this Semester :angry:.

For examples in our World Civ "religions of the world" course, we had to read books for each religion (that reoresented each religion). My teacher chose Loraine Boettner’s book, Roman Catholicism. Which seems to me a bible of anti-catholicism. I told him many times, he just got mad and told me not to stick my nose into his busines, that i was only 14 and he knew what he was doing.

It doesn't help that there's a priest or monk/friar every three pages in the book. And every single time the Franciscan/Benedictine/Dominican/priest is always either stealing, murdering, drinking, or raping. Especially raping, they are always in houses of prostitution. They kill women and babies. One of the main characters is the illegitiumate daughter of the Pope. And they represent the Church.

My grade hates the Catholic Church. Really, the majority being Jewish and never having been exposed to any type of Catholicism, they are turning away in disgust.

This makes me mad. Really angry. But i can't do anything, and when i try to present the catholic Church (with evidence) as what it really is, he gives me bad grades for being "innacurate" because the book says otherwise.

There's really nothing i can do. :angry:  :(

I may not be Catholic, but that (what they are doing) is just wrong. Tell someone about it.

From our little experience at the library i feel as if i know you, VeraMaria! :blink:

littleflower+JMJ

yes my two sisters had to read that same ugly book by voltaire and they hated it.

my sister said it was awfull so awful only tina read it so that my other sister could be spared from reading it also, so she did her work.

but i see a pattern, their teacher was very anti-catholic also. <_<

voltaire went crazy the last days of his life on his deathbed, he was askign for mercy from the walls, chairs, anything around him.

:( to read his books are just so dumb.

i will be praying for you vera!!

and for all those anti-catholic ppl.....

God bless!

+JMJ

display your dissatisfaction with a continued frown thru class, refuse to join in on such topics that are nothing but negative and lies told of your religion, leave the room, tell your parents, have a conference with yoru parents/teacher, show that you are not "hurt" by all this beign tried and that you will stay catholic no matter what garbage they may throw at you for you know the TRUTH!!

then pray for all those who are sadly misguided.... :(

Guest jrob8503

We read Candide too. This was at Nazareth Academy catholic high school.

HAHAHAHA!!! :lol:

The irony of it all is just...(wipes tear of hysteria)

Edited by jrob8503