An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Letter To My Bishop

Jake Huether

I wish to write a letter to my Bishop about the abuses in my parish. Last Sunday was the Straw that broke the camels back. And our parish NEEDS reform. Please review and critique the letter that I've made. And also, please pray for me as I send it off. I might also send it (with the names of course removed) to the "valley Catholic", a news letter for our city.

May the Peace of Christ be with you, Bishop ------.

My name is Jacob Huether. I am 24 years old, and I’m completely on fire for Jesus Christ, and for the Church that he founded 2000 years ago!

I am writing to you due to a concern that I have with my parish, St. ------. I don’t know the degree to which my concern might span over other parishes, but I felt that it was my duty to make know the condition of our flock (those members of the Catholic Church) no matter how localized it may be.

At my parish there are several severe abuses, and I need your guidance and counsel as to how I might help amend them. Although, in honesty, it seems as though a simple announcement during mass might do the trick.

I apologize in advance for such a negative letter, but I hope that it serves to produce a positive outcome!

The first, and by far the worst, abuse that exists in our parish is the lack of understanding by the laity (and the apparent disregard by our priests) of where Jesus Christ is in the Holy Tabernacle. We, like many parishes, have moved our Tabernacle to the side of the church. Nonetheless, the faithful continue to genuflect (that is, kneel) toward the alter. Granted, the alter is Sacred, and great respect is due in the form of a profound bow. However, ONLY in the acknowledgement of Christ should knee’s be bent. It is disheartening to see the faithful (and by faithful I mean the individuals comprising our congregation) kneel toward the alter, when Christ is completely ignored in the Tabernacle. This is no doubt due to a lack of teaching and understanding on the presence of Christ in the Eucharist. Generations have been “trained” to kneel toward the alter, behind which Christ once was placed in the Tabernacle. But with the removal of Christ from front and center to the side of the church, the generations that once knew why they kneeled have simply succumbed to muscle memory. I believe that this is a fairly cut and dry abuse, which must have a fairly straightforward cure, and therefore I will continue on to the other abuses which I see amongst the flock.

The following abuses are specific to the order of the Mass, as described in the GIRM.

The GIRM chapter II, part II, 42 states:

“…A common posture, to be observed by all participants, is a sign of the unity of the members of the Christian community gathered for the Sacred Liturgy: it both expresses and fosters the intention and spiritual attitude of the participants…

…43 In the dioceses of the United States of America, they should kneel beginning after the singing or recitation of the Sanctus until after the Amen of the Eucharistic Prayer, except when prevented on occasion by reasons of health, lack of space, the large number of people present, or some other good reason. Those who do not kneel ought to make a profound bow when the priest genuflects after the consecration. The faithful kneel after the Agnus Dei unless the Diocesan Bishop determines otherwise.5…”

In my Parish, unfortunately, unity is lacking in this respect. In general, at the very least, half the congregation stands during this time. And more unfortunate is the fact that included in the standing are many of the Extraordinary Eucharistic Ministers, who should acknowledge that Jesus Christ is being made physically present! I am aware that the GIRM gives leeway to those with a “good reason” to stand, however, in the case of my parish it is not any “reason” other than the lack of teaching.

In addition, the GIRM Chapter IV, part 1, 161 continues:

“If, however, Communion is given under both kinds, the rite prescribed in nos. 284-287 is followed.

162. The priest may be assisted in the distribution of Communion by other priests who happen to be present. If such priests are not present and there is a very large number of communicants, the priest may call upon extraordinary ministers to assist him, e.g., duly instituted acolytes or even other faithful who have been deputed for this purpose.97 In case of necessity, the priest may depute suitable faithful for this single occasion.98

These ministers should not approach the altar before the priest has received Communion, and they are always to receive from the hands of the priest celebrant the vessel containing either species of the Most Holy Eucharist for distribution to the faithful.”

Firstly, “a very large number of communicants” is a relative statement, really. “Large” would then refer to when we have an unusually full church, say, on Christmas or Easter. And the statement “for this single occasion” confirms the unusual size in order to necessitate extraordinary ministers. However, my parish has extraordinary ministers at every scheduled Sunday mass, every Sunday. Yet, this is the least of my concern in regards to our extraordinary ministers.

As noted, “these ministers should NOT approach the alter before the priest has received Communion”. In my parish it is common practice for the extraordinary ministers to be at the alter helping the priest to prepare the Body of Christ to be distributed, directly after consecration, and it is common for one or more extraordinary ministers to be actually AT the alter while the priest receives Communion!

I am discouraged at the lack of respect, or at the lack of teaching and understanding, for Jesus Christ in the Eucharist. This is God! Yet, I do not blame those that might be ignorant. I am only frustrated that this might be avoided with a simple scan through the GIRM.

Less severe abuses, though abuses nonetheless, follow:

Chapter IV, part I,

“The Articles to Be Prepared

117…Also on or close to the altar, there is to be a cross with a figure of Christ crucified. The candles and the cross adorned with a figure of Christ crucified may also be carried in the Entrance Procession...

122. On reaching the altar, the priest and ministers make a profound bow.

The cross adorned with a figure of Christ crucified and perhaps carried in procession may be placed next to the altar to serve as the altar cross, in which case it ought to be the only cross used; otherwise it is put away in a dignified place.”

We, at our parish, do inDouche have a Cross with the figure of Christ crucified, which is carried in procession and put away in a dignified place in the sacristy. However, there remains no figure of Christ Crucified “on or close to the alter” during the service.

And Chapter IV, part 1:

“The priest may give the sign of peace to the ministers but always remains within the sanctuary, so as not to disturb the celebration. In the dioceses of the United States of America, for a good reason, on special occasions (for example, in the case of a funeral, a wedding, or when civic leaders are present) the priest may offer the sign of peace to a few of the faithful near the sanctuary...”

This has also occurred at our Parish during a regular Sunday Mass, when a priest has left the alter (and Jesus Christ) to give the sign of peace to those outside the sanctuary.

I have contemplated and prayed hard about whether or not to go to my Pastor with these cases. But I have discerned that the probability that he is aware of these abuses already, yet is under pressure due to those that might find these abuses “more comforting”, is high. It is also most probable that these abuses are not specific to my parish alone, and in an effort to cure the disease and not simply patch up one parish, I believe it is best left in your hands.

Once again, I do apologize for not writing to you under happier circumstances. However, with your help and guidance, I hope that my parish will be able to come to light about their Catholic faith. The glue that bonds us together is unity (we are, after all, Catholic – that is, universal). And without unity, then, we begin to degrade as Catholics.

I thank you deeply from the bottom of my heart. And I ask that the Holy Spirit grant you the knowledge and discernment in amending these abuses.

My prayers are with you.

Your servant in Christ,

Jacob Huether

May I send this letter to my bishop?

Sure, why not. Just don't use my name! LOL.

Are you in California (Santa Clara)?

If not - go for it!

Minor note:

"alter" - to change

"altar" - the structure upon which the Eucharist is celebrated.

Just figure you should get that right because a misspelling like that questions the credibility of your statement about being dedicated to the Church (from what I have seen, you are extremely dedicated, but I don't know how well your bishop knows you and he may try and write you off as an uneducated person who happened to dig up some random things, take them out of context, and try and cause trouble).

Minor note:

"alter" - to change

"altar" - the structure upon which the Eucharist is celebrated.

Just figure you should get that right because a misspelling like that questions the credibility of your statement about being dedicated to the Church (from what I have seen, you are extremely dedicated, but I don't know how well your bishop knows you and he may try and write you off as an uneducated person who happened to dig up some random things, take them out of context, and try and cause trouble).

LOL!

I was wondering why it was highlighted in Word! Hahahahaha!

I'm an engineer, tank gooooodnssss. I cn't spell warth nothin!

Cool. I'll make the changes!

Thanks!

...not to discourage you, but i sent a letter of equil length saturated in chuch documents and the response i recieved was something along the lines of 'people are human and are not always at the same level of understanding as everyone else.'

if your #1 problem is over bowing and genuflection, you might want to reevaluate the situation...

is there a concern that not enough people aren't going to confession? because more people will go to hell for not repenting and recieving the grace of the sacrament than will by not genufecting or bowing at the apropreate things...

...not to discourage you, but i sent a letter of equil length saturated in chuch documents and the response i recieved was something along the lines of 'people are human and are not always at the same level of understanding as everyone else.'

if your #1 problem is over bowing and genuflection, you might want to reevaluate the situation...

is there a concern that not enough people aren't going to confession?  because more people will go to hell for not repenting and recieving the grace of the sacrament than will by not genufecting or bowing at the apropreate things...

Good point.

But we can't judge hearts, only actions. I can't make the statement that these people aren't confessing enough. They might be! But I can objectivly prove that these people are abusing the GIRM.

See what I mean? I'm determined to send this letter. Or a letter (if you are suggesting that I cut down the length). But NOTHING is being done, and I must do something. I've got to get it off my chest. A prayer truly is not enough when you CAN do something!

I can't pass a starving person on the way when I have a loaf of bread in my hand and say, "I'll just pray for them". I know what they are doing is wrong, and I know that it is easy enough to get fixed. But it can't be the one to stand on the pulpit and anounce it.

And as my letter suggests, my Pastor already knows!

The next logica step MUST be the Bishop. And if I get a non-answer, then I'll go to his boss. ;)

Wow, Jake.

Maybe you could also ask that he bring it up at the Presbetiarn Council. (That council that ALL priests must go to) That way all the priests in the diocese are made aware of it. That way you can even suggest a solution to the problem.

It's funny that people genuflect towards an empty altar vs. the Tabernacle at your parish. (It really isn't) This happens here at the Cathedral where the Bishop is from!!!! :huh: My parish priest gets SOOOOOO Angry when other priests and parishoners don't genuflect towards the Tabernacle, just the altar, or when they have ordinations and ALOT of priests come, they just walk on by! This is so sad, only a few priests genuflect. :( AHHHHHHH! :o

the faithful continue to genuflect (that is, kneel) toward the alter.

the faithful continue to genuflect toward the altar. Leave out (that is kneel) b/c he knows what it is and there is one mispelling here. ;)

don’t know the degree to which my concern might span over other parishes, but I felt that it was my duty to make know the condition of our flock (those members of the Catholic Church) no matter how localized it may be.

....felt it was my duty to make known.....the condition of our parishes in the diocese.

As some advice from another "young" Catholic, (I am turning 23) I wouldn't put my age. I would state: I am a parishoner at St. -----. Why? With my experience, they aren't willing to take me seriously if I put how old I was. This may not be the case where you are from though. This is your call and others may say it's okay to put your age, but I wouldn't.

Another advice, I wouldn't apologize for the "negative" letter. Just state this is something that needs to be adressed, and state that this will have positive outcomes, a return to the traditions of the Mass. (Oh, and Mass is captalized, right?) :P

I would definitely visit other parishes around the area. (If you haven't already) Find out if they are doing the same thing and you can put in your letter, "I have visited other parishes and find the same abuses are happening over in other parts of the diocese. " This will also give you that credibility that you have seen it yourself happening.

Are there other parishoners that feel the same way? No matter how few, get them to sign, that way it isn't only "one" person (there is nothing wrong with that) but you might have a bigger impact if you aren't the only one who feels this way and is aware of it! :D

I would keep the church documents in. Sometimes they forget themselves or they don't have time to look them up.

Near the end, talk about them being shepards (is that how you spell it?) and leading the "flock" in things that are true.

It's all about respecting the Eucharist, and this is cause for concern, because if we stray from what is truly true in traditions and practices and such, we will definitely become "watered-down" Catholics. I don't know who said it, a Saint, or an apologist? But they stated that ignorance is a sin. And it is when they are disrepecting the Eucharist! Good letter Jake. I'll be praying for you! ;)

Thanks!

actually, I was planning on emailing it, so I woudn't be able to get sigs. But, do you think I should send it regular mail instead?

Also, is it really a Presbyterian counsil? I did a search on this and can't find it. I want to be sure to use the right name...

Thank you thank you thank you!

I'm excited!

Also, is it really a Presbyterian counsil?  I did a search on this and can't find it.  I want to be sure to use the right name...

Yes!!!! here I am correcting your mispelings and I mispll myself!!!! Forgive me!!! :lol:

DON"T e-mail!!!!!! :o:o:o

Snail mail, it's the way to go! I found that I get responded to if I mail it in!!! Also, if your wife is willing sign Mr and Mrs. that way it's still more than one. However, if you don't recieve any feedback for a while, e-mail him! B)

:ph34r:

I have learned that most bishops don't need long lengthy letters, rather make it short and to the point. I don't know who your bishop is, but odds are he won't read it, rather the Vicar General of your diocese will. As it is his job to be the enforcer of the GIRM and other precepts of the vatican.

At the same time, don't be surprised if nothing changes for a while either...As Vicar Generals are just as busy as bishops are and are usually behind on their work as well because of the responsibilities they have. Nevertheless it is still important to send them a letter letting them know of the situation.

Like I said be patient and good things will happen.

Peace B)

At my old parish (Wilmington, DE), they had the Tabernacle near the Altar, but not exactly behind it. It was on the same wall as the Altar, but right next to the stage platform. Yet, the priest and people kneeled before the Altar (which had a life-sized Crucifix behind it, very large). But people did kneel before the Tabernacle, but it was off to the side.

I've also seen something similar to this, in a parish in Raleigh, NC.

IcePrincessKRS

Just a quick note to add to all of what Tina suggested... You use the term "kneel" throughout the letter, but during the Mass we DO kneel to Christ upon the altar at/upon which the Sacrifice of the Mass is offered. We genuflect to the Tabernacle when entering or exiting our pews. Soooo, perhaps the term "kneel" isn't necessarily the right one for the greater portion of your letter? (Maybe I'm just reading it a little differently than intended, but that kind of caught my eye.)