An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Letter To My Bishop

Jake Huether

Thanks!

actually, I was planning on emailing it, so I woudn't be able to get sigs.  But, do you think I should send it regular mail instead?

Also, is it really a Presbyterian counsil?  I did a search on this and can't find it.  I want to be sure to use the right name...

Thank you thank you thank you!

I'm excited!

It is NOT a Presbyterian counsil it is a Presbyteral Council

And I have a little word of advice . . . if and when the bishop doesn't respond with results (I highly doubt he will) try to educate the wealthiest and most vocal members of your parish. If they start complaining and threatening to give money, then certainly action will start to occur. I don't know how to brake it to you, but most of your bishops out on the Left Coast are very very bad liturgically. Your Bishop will probably quote from Cardinal Mahoney's letter on the Eucharist which is full of "inclusion" and "diversity" and "empowerment" and entirely absent of "Real Presence" and "Moral life" and "receiving in a state of grace."

I say the best remedy is to vote with your feet. Pope John Paul II made it very clear in the new Code of Canon Law that the Parish you belong to is the one that you attend (not the one in whose boundaries you live in) Write a letter to your priest and tell him that you are "deeply wounded" by the abuse and general ignorance of the parish and tell him you will be attending Mass at another parish where the The Truth of the Catholic Church is being taught. Then challenge him to show you that he is faithful to the teachings of the Church.

Jake, your letter is very inspiring to me. Jared and I have been contemplating writing one of our own to our pastor (hadn't thought of the bishop).

We pretty much have many of the same abuses, but the most annoying thing to us is how LOUD everything is before, and especially after Mass. The problem is the greeters. They are in the back of the sanctuary (not in the narthex) LOUDLY greeting people before Church. They are so bad that the other Sunday almost the first six front rows of people turned around to see what was going on.

Keep us up to date on what happens because of this.

It is NOT a Presbyterian counsil  it is a Presbyteral Council

And I have a little word of advice . . .  if and when the bishop doesn't respond with results (I highly doubt he will) try to educate the wealthiest and most vocal members of your parish.  If they start complaining and threatening to give money, then certainly action will start to occur.  I don't know how to brake it to you, but most of your bishops out on the Left Coast are very very bad liturgically.  Your Bishop will probably quote from Cardinal Mahoney's letter on the Eucharist which is full of "inclusion" and "diversity" and "empowerment" and entirely absent of "Real Presence" and "Moral life" and "receiving in a state of grace."

I say the best remedy is to vote with your feet.  Pope John Paul II made it very clear in the new Code of Canon Law that the Parish you belong to is the one that you attend (not the one in whose boundaries you live in)  Write a letter to your priest and tell him that you are "deeply wounded" by the abuse and general ignorance of the parish and tell him you will be attending Mass at another parish where the The Truth of the Catholic Church is being taught.  Then challenge him to show you that he is faithful to the teachings of the Church.

Blazer,

I'd love just to speak to my Pastor, but he knows what I'm gunna say!

Furthermore, my parents have already had to go to the Bishop with our previous pastor. And my mother / father are the heads of a prayer group, which MUST be "good" with the Pastor in order to be able to use the facilities, etc. So, I don't really want to get on his case, to have him blow off my parents.

It's a sticky situation.

Not to mention, the wealthiest and most vocal members of the parish are the ones that are doing the abuse! That's the whole problem (which is probably why our Pastor is silent).

I think the Bishop is the right root.

Ive never seen a church with the tabernacle on the side. I was wondering something. Im still kinda new to this, I know we kneel during the consecration, but are we supposed to be kneeling when we say the I am not worthy to recieve you...part, right before we recieve communion.

Ive never seen a church with the tabernacle on the side. I was wondering something.  Im still kinda new to this, I know we kneel during the consecration, but are we supposed to be kneeling when we say the I am not worthy to recieve you...part, right before we recieve communion.

I think the GIRM leaves that up to the Bishop of your country?

I think in the US we are supposed to.

I do. I mean, no matter what, you can't go wrong with kneeling before God.

Ive never seen a church with the tabernacle on the side. I was wondering something.  Im still kinda new to this, I know we kneel during the consecration, but are we supposed to be kneeling when we say the I am not worthy to recieve you...part, right before we recieve communion.

yes

Jake, I want to commend you for the step you're taking. If more people were trained to spot liturgical abuses and complain, maybe more bishops would feel forced to do something! I hope your letter isn't one of those that gets blown off. I'll pray that they take your concerns seriously.

Hi Jake,

Here's another way to apprach it: ask the pastor how you can help educate the parishoners regarding such things as the genuflection and the GIRM. Are you involved in any groups that make you visible to the pastor and associates? That could give you clout.

Another thing to watch out for: the bishop may not receive your letter or it may be buried in a pile of letters due to whoever opens his letters. I'll tell you a personal experience. A few years ago at a certain young adult mass an unapproved creed was used - something "feel good"y manufactured by a local priest. I kept the mass booklet and sent it in to Cardinal George and received a form letter from his secretary. Earlier this summer Cardinal George spoke at a parish and he stayed to mingle. A few of us spoke with him and he said we should keep documentation of anything unorthodox or liturgically abusive otherwise he has nothing to work with. I mentioned the incident regarding the unapproved creed and told him that I did mail the mass boooklet to his office. I wonder if my letter ever reached him.

Side note: when referring to God, make sure you capitalize the "H" in "He".