An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Pick One European Country...

Paladin D

I'm down for a cuppa . . . maybe a couple of cuppas . . . and scones! I love SCONES!!! And I wish you could send me some of those tea bags that come in those triangular pouches . . . I love that tea!

Hmm this is a tough one.

France (because I used to think I could speak French)

Ireland

Italy

Poland

England

....in no particular order

I'll put your cup away then Carrie! :(

geetarplayer, you are forgiven - I'd live in Spain too!  :D

.....except they don't sell English tea there  :unsure:  :(

:lol:  :lol:

Well, I can stop by for a cuppa tea before I head over to Germany. :D

I am a social butterfly! :lol::lol: :lol:

Except we're not very united! :unsure:

Joolye is right - Scotland is very beautiful. Of course the vast tracks of Highlands which are astoundingly peaceful and unpopulated are as a result of the enforced clearances of the Scottish people by the English - but that's another history lesson! ;)

My family is Scottish on my dad's side, Irish on my mum's and I was born in England, so I call myself British and think of myself as a Celt! :blink:

Joolye, stop over in London for a cup of tea before you head to the highlands - Carrie, Blazer and Uncle Gus will be joining us!! :D Hmmmm, I think we're going to need more than scones...sounds like we're going to have a party!!! LOL

I have a very close friend who won a Marshall Scholarship and is studying at Imperial College right now. Hopefully sometime I will get to go visit her. She absolutely loves England. I'm afraid she will never want to come back!

I've been to about 10 European countries, but Italy is by far my favorite.

I was in Rome a couple of times. I never wanted to leave. It made me want to become a Catholic all over again. In fact, I did! My heart was reborn.

How a Protestant could go to Rome and remain Protestant, I'll never understand. The history of Christianity is written on the landscape and the stones -- and it's C-A-T-H-O-L-I-C. To breathe the air of the catacombs is enough alone! And to see a painting of the BVM on the walls done in 150 A.D.! I'm fainting at the thought.

To kneel and pray at St. Peter's tomb under his Basilica is amesome. To kneel at St. Paul's tomb under the floor of his Church (St. Paul's Outside the Walls) is incredible. To see the very chains that bound St. Peter when he was in prison made me cry (St. Peter in Chains). Michaelangelo's Moses stands guard over them. To stand in the tiny Mammertine Jail, hewn from solid rock, where St. Peter and St. Paul were imprisoned together in Rome, to see where they were chained, and to see the miraculous spring bubbling up through the rock that provided the water for the baptism of their jailers . . . . I touched the stone walls they touched, smelled the smells they smelled, walked where they walked. Ecstatic.

All of this history combined with the artwork of giants -- the Pietá by Michaelangelo is in St. Peter's Basilica. Art is everywhere, by every great name you have ever heard. Raphael, Donatello, Bernini -- a long, long list of geniuses whose work was inspired by the Church and has been preserved by her.

Every trained, accredited historian with academic credentials will tell you that the Catholic Church is the Mother of Western Civilization -- and its epicenter was Rome.

JMJ Likos

Words are inadequate.

France b/c it's clean and beautiful and no one cares about anything, plus the food is pretty good too!

(et je parle francais parfaitement !)

You've never been to dinner in a fine French restaurant with a dog, huh? :P And the streets of Paris aren't clean - they apparently don't have pooper scooper laws -- and pets on the streets are plentiful. The French seem to be crazy for their pets. I love Paris anyway! Especially Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur. :) :D The most helpful people in Europe to me were the French. Of course, this was before Iraq . . . nine years ago.