An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life Teen Abuses

SevenSorrows

Everyone seems to love Life Teen, but is it only me that notices all the liturgical abuses that are disgracing Christ's mass?

I want to support the teens, but I find it hard to support something I find offensive.

What do you guys/girls think?

Yes! I am with you on this one. There are a couple of things that really irk me, like the dismissal. It's not in the Sacramentary, so it shouldn't be used.

Thankfully, we have been learning heaps about liturgy, especially over the last year, and the unorthodoxy is on the decline.

Guest kooltommyg

alright, i'll admit that there might be some things with Life Teen that are....well...not always right. But you gotta give it up to LT for all the kids that it has brought closer to God. I mean, yeah they may not get everything right, but guess what , YOU AND I DON'T EITHER! not to be mean, but the pros of Life Teen totally overshadow the cons. If not for Life Teen, i would be all messed up-not faithful at all like i am now. Looking back, yeah, there are some things that were off-like when we gathered around the altar for the Eucharisitc Liturgy-but no matter how bad or how much it has messed up, it has touched so many lives and brought them to God!!!! You gotta give them some props! Siempre Paz!!!

The Lifeteen mass in my diocese just recently stopped gathering around the altar and playing music during the consecration. Thank God. Now, except for the dismissal and replacing the responsorial psalm, it's pretty legit.

Mary's Knight, La

I might be wrong but I think in the US you can replace the responsorial with a song approved by the Bishop. But down here they do the dismissal right, though they still gather around the altar. As for the comment about the Pro's outweighing the cons nobody here is in as good a place to determine that as the priest and bishop for that parish.

It DOES have SOME good fruits, that has never been questioned, I think, the question is whether or not the bad fruits are significant enough to make it not worth the risk to teens souls.

Something that I have heard that they do in Europe (I don't know how true it is) is that they are normally gathered around the alter.

Now, if they were on their knees, I have no problem with it, but I do have a problem with standing.

Some people when asked "If Jesus was in this room, what would you do?"

Some answer: "I would buy Him a beer and give Him a hug."

I got a news flash for those people... No you wouldn't, Jesus is God, you would drop to your knees.

When God is present, we need to be on our knees to show proper respect. I don't want to hear anyone whine that their knees hurt or it's uncomfortalbe...

Our Pope, in his present physical condition, still gets on his knees for Christ.... no one who is healthier than the Pope has any excuse not to get on their knees.

I once heard a story from a Priest, he was talking about being in a room with two nuns... the Eucharist was displayed, they dropped to their knees on a concrete floor.

If people do not realize that the Eucharist is God, and doesn't make sense that more than likely, they could be in a state of mortal sin when taking the Eucharist? Has it really helped save the souls allow people to profane the Eucharist?

Those in lifeteen... I urge you to set an example, make know the fact of the True Pressence, be the one that is on your knees... speak out for proper respect for Christ.

God Bless, Your Servant in Christ,

ironmonk

I just dont like people trying to "Specialize" the mass to their own likeness. Can't they just leave it alone? What are they doing? is it "Too boring"? I dont think so Heaven comes to earth, I dont find that boring at all. Oh yeah and Iron Monk makes perfect sense as always. Jesus is God therefore our knees must drop to the floor in his presence.

Edited by MC Just

i have heared, i have not researched, that if a congrigation alters the liturgy with a new part or response, that after a certain amount of years it becomes cannon law in that parrish that it's a cultural norm...

please don't say that lifeteen is the problem

and please don't start a thread to rant about how much you don't like it

because my parrish, AND ALL OF THE LIFETEEN PARRISHES on long island, New York DO NOT gather around the alter, inturupt the dismissal, change the psalm, or anything else liturgicaly that is not done in all the other Masses...

so it's not lifeteen, it's lifeteen in the parrishes you have seen.

I'm glad Life Teen has done so much good, but at the same time, in a time where cafeteria Catholicism is rampant, especially among young people, it seems to me that if breaking rules during Mass is encouraged, then teens might eventually think, "Well, if it's OK to break the rules at Mass, then why not break the rules in other areas?"

It's not about breaking the rules, it's about becoming involved in your faith life, your Church, and with God. Not everybody has the depth of faith the average person here does. Most Catholics aren't close. In the opinion of my Bishop and the conservative Pastor of my Church, LifeTeen is an excellent catechesis program. It's not like they have clown masses, or polka masses. It's about orthodox worship with reference to young people. From what I've read about other parishes here, and from what I've seen at other parishes, our LifeTeen mass has fewer instances of "litugical error" than others and probably is much more reverent in most other practices, such as the entrance processional, proper eucharistic prayers, kneeling and standing at the proper times, etc.

There was a some Catholic youth convention, and they were playing music in the background (it was pretty nice), while the Priest was carrying the Eucharist in the Sun thing (forgot what it's called lol), and the teens were reaching out for it. And a spotlight was focused on it, making it shine.

Saw it on the net, have to find out what it is.

Is that an abuse?

There was a some Catholic youth convention, and they were playing music in the background (it was pretty nice), while the Priest was carrying the Eucharist in the Sun thing (forgot what it's called lol), and the teens were reaching out for it.  And a spotlight was focused on it, making it shine.

Saw it on the net, have to find out what it is.

Is that an abuse?

No. That was probably a Eucharistic Adoration service. The "sun" thing is a Monstrance. The rays represent the rays of grace from the Real Presence. In a EA service, scripture is read, songs are sung, meditation, prayer, etc. A priest will bring the Blessed Sacrament out. It's a lot like Benediction, if you are familiar with that.