An Old School Catholic Message Board

More Mel...

Jake Huether

ryanmeyersmusic

the church has no teaching that i'm aware of (show me doctrine and i'll be more informed) that jesus was unmarried. it has been assumed, since there's no mention of it and paul spoke less than highly of marriage, but there's no direct teaching that he was not that i'm aware of.

ryanmeyersmusic

and it's not that he "had to get jiggy" it's that he was human and fully ABLE to enter into a human union. i don't think that he WAS married, but it wouldn't destroy my faith, or the teaching of the Church, to find out that he was.

ryanmeyersmusic

i won't be able to reply to this for about 24 hours, but you can e-mail me if you find any specific teaching that i'm going against in ignorance. i will of course then recant and try to conform myself to the Church's teaching.

the church has no teaching that i'm aware of (show me doctrine and i'll be more informed) that jesus was unmarried.  it has been assumed, since there's no mention of it and paul spoke less than highly of marriage, but there's no direct teaching that he was not that i'm aware of.

It's called "Apostolic Tradition". We don't believe in sola scriptura.

ryanmeyersmusic

there's a difference in tradition and Tradition.

show me where it's been taught as doctrine by the Church rather than just saying "yes it has, yes it has, nanny nanny boo boo"

from ewtn.com

Ancient tradition records that the Apostles--Saint Peter included--abstained from marital relations, once called by the Lord. So if we are to draw upon the Apostles as examples, I wonder what sort of women will be looking to become wives of priests, and how many priests will really look for marriage, under that condition. Furthermore, every response I have thus far received on this topic which favors married clergy FAILS to even address the fact that our Lord, High Priest and source of all New Testament priesthood, was Himself a CELIBATE PRIEST. Anything less is a compromise. Marriage is a vocation, and the priesthood is a vocation, and while there are compelling reasons against mixing them, I have yet to hear of a compelling reason for joining them.

Thanks, Donnie

Father Echert

ryan,

Jesus was not married.

Jesus is God, His bride is the Church, not a woman.

There is not even any evidence that He was married.

If He was married, it would have been written of in the Early Church Father's writings.

Jesus is a fact. It's not ancient history before people kept records, it was only 2000 years ago, and we have volumes of information written about Jesus and the Apostles, from the first 400 years of writings.

It is ridiculous to say "Jesus might have been married, no where says He wasn't"

Marriage is not a thing taken lightly... it is something that is Sacred and before God. It is a big occasion, it's a major part of one's life. If Jesus was married, it would be in the Bible and taught by the Church. Especially back then, marriage was something that entire communities were involved in. Don't you think if the Son of God was married, someone would have wrote about it? Don't you think it would have went into the Bible?

God Bless, Your Servant in Christ,

ironmonk

ryan,

Jesus was not married.

If He was married, it would have been written of in the Early Church Father's writings.

Jesus is a fact. It's not ancient history before people kept records, it was only 2000 years ago, and we have volumes of information written about Jesus and the Apostles, from the first 400 years of writings.

It is ridiculous to say "Jesus might have been married, no where says He wasn't"

Marriage is not a thing taken lightly... it is something that is Sacred and before God. It is a big occasion, it's a major part of one's life. If Jesus was married, it would be in the Bible and taught by the Church. Especially back then, marriage was something that entire communities were involved in. Don't you think if the Son of God was married, someone would have wrote about it? Don't you think it would have went into the Bible?

ironmonk

I have heard some scoffers say things like "the Church kept it from people so that they would believe, because if it got out, everyone would loose faith"

I can hear them now saying the same thing about this. If Jesus was married, then they would have taught it from the beginning, and there would not be any reason to hide it.

That is said by atheists or people who know very little about God. They try to make God a philosophical thing, instead of the fact that He is I AM. They feel that if they can prove the Catholic Church is hiding something, then there is no God. Because if the Catholic Church is wrong, then there is no God....

but... the Catholic Church is not wrong, and there is a God. There is far too much historical, and scientific proof to show that there is God, and the truest way to worship Him is in the Catholic Church. (See "The Reasons to Believe" by Peter Kreft)

God is not a philosophical thing that can change, God is not made up in our minds... God is more real than you and me, and is beyond our understanding.

I really do not understand how anyone cannot believe... it's more clear than a cloudless day.

ironmonk

Spiritual_Arsonist

Hey!!!!! I have that crucifix you got as your avatar!! St.Bendict!

Yeah. Saint Benedict Rocks. I wear his medal. Do you wear it?

GET AWAY SATAN!!

ryan,

Jesus was not married.

ironmonk

Thanks Ironmonk. I thought no one would bring that up.

The Church teaches that WE are the Bride of Christ. Christ is the Groom! If Christ had a wife on earth, than he commited adultary, according to his own words!

He is our Groom! No one elses!

Yeah.  Saint Benedict Rocks.  I wear his medal.  Do you wear it?

GET AWAY SATAN!!

I wear it so much, that the silver is wearing off, now it looks copper.

ryanmeyersmusic

so since both myself and Jesus are the bridegrooms of Katie Meyers she's commiting adultery?

I'm not trying to say that I believe the claims of Jesus being married. I too think that it would have been pretty obvious from accounts of the Gospels and other early Church teachings. The way Paul talks about marriage really seals it for me. What I'm trying to say that the notion that he was isn't an end-all.

AND

EWTN, try as they may, is NOT a part of the ecclesial authority of the Church.