An Old School Catholic Message Board

Clubworthy Catholic Songs?

Fat Buddha

I'm a DJ and just trying to find some Catholic hiphop stuff. I'm just getting into the Catholic rap music. I have the massmatics cd but I don't know any other Catholic hiphop.
So far it seems most of the stuff is just for listening (which isn't a bad thing), but I'm looking to see if there are any club-worthy (i.e. danceable) Catholic HipHop tracks.

So what songs do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

SevenSorrows

It is hard not to sound mean or not sarcastic....

but what would be the point of Catholic Club music?

- is it trying to convert people? cause are people really gonna stop freaking, put some clothes on and listen to the lyrics?

or
- are there really "good" catholics that go to clubs? I know "dancing is fun"....but it just seems like clubs have wayyyy to much immorality for good catholic people. Either you have to close your eyes to the immodest dress so you are not tempted to lust, you have to close your ears to bad music, turn away from lustful/adulterous acts, dodge drunk/high people, rejecting offer after offer from dirty guy/girl after dirty guy/girl. (I mean I guess it could be "fun in a weird way" to say "No I won't let you get me drunk so we can have sex" to 20-30 people a night. It seems like the whole night would just be playing frogger on the Moral Sin Highway.

again I know "dancing is fun"....but at what cost? (serious question) is it ok to try to get fun out of an inherently immoral place/setting? ex. --- I am sure I could have alot of fun at a strip club (without looking at the girls) but would that be right?

Guest Eremite

SevenSorrows,

Do you feel the same way about rock concerts?

(I'm not trying to be sarcastic; I agree with most of what you said. I'm just curious if you are consistent with your standards)

Edited by Eremite

Ive been to many many clubs here in LA which is club CITY! o my gosh ive seen so many girls strip and show there boobs or thong, and sometimes pull their thongs or underwear off. Im a good Catholic guy and i only go because of friends, but i rarely hang out with them because i don't like being around those areas or experiences. Everyone in there is always trying to be hard, drunk, high, grabbing girls and the girls are just the same. They make me sick......sorry but i don't see the catholic music being played in there. I don't think the DJ will put it on, even if its a club banger, still they wont play it because of the lyrics. It has to have the F word and talk about girls body parts and how much money you have. The sad thing is that a lot of these females are looking for a good guy and really don't want to be in places like that. Or so i think so, ive talked to a lot of girls from clubs after they close the place and they seem totally different from what you see in the club. ALmost if they are only performing a show inside and then when they are outside they are more humble and not as wild. I dunno maybe its because they are just tired :rolling:

KnightoftheImmaculate1

Hey Soberisms,

[quote]Im a good Catholic guy [/quote]

[quote]Ive been to many many clubs here in LA which is club CITY! o my gosh ive seen so many girls strip and show there boobs or thong, and sometimes pull their thongs or underwear off. Im a good Catholic guy and i only go because of friends, but i rarely hang out with them because i don't like being around those areas or experiences[/quote]

GOOD CATHOLIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE YOU IN THERE TELLING THEM TO TURN FROM THAT? ARE YOU GOING TO PUT YOUR FRIENDS OVER GOD?? THAT IS NOT BEING A GOOD CATHOLIC. REMEMBER IT IS A PROVEN FACT THAT WHAT GOES INTO YOUR EYES GOES INTO YOUR MIND, WHAT GOES INTO YOUR MIND GOES INTO YOUR HEART, WHAT IS IN YOUR HEART GOES INTO YOUR LIFE (YOU ACT IT OUT) WHEN YOU SURROUND YOURSELF WITH THINGS IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE YOU BECOME PART OF THE PROBLEM. I AM ONLY SAYING THIS BECAUSE YOU RISK HELL FOR ETERNITY.

Servus

Edited by KnightoftheImmaculate1

(Soberisms) i have to agree...scriptures say to avoid the near occasion of sin. Obvoiusly you know your limits better than I do, but you have to put yourself in a situation where you can win. I totally agree, you are what you eat. Don't feed yourself garbage. God Bless

[quote]GOOD CATHOLIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE YOU IN THERE TELLING THEM TO TURN FROM THAT? ARE YOU GOING TO PUT YOUR FRIENDS OVER GOD?? THAT IS NOT BEING A GOOD CATHOLIC. REMEMBER IT IS A PROVEN FACT THAT WHAT GOES INTO YOUR EYES GOES INTO YOUR MIND, WHAT GOES INTO YOUR MIND GOES INTO YOUR HEART, WHAT IS IN YOUR HEART GOES INTO YOUR LIFE (YOU ACT IT OUT) WHEN YOU SURROUND YOURSELF WITH THINGS IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE YOU BECOME PART OF THE PROBLEM. I AM ONLY SAYING THIS BECAUSE YOU RISK HELL FOR ETERNITY.

Servus
[/quote]

You don't know me and you dont know the person i am. You don't know what ive told my friends and you don't know how i am or react with them. What i mentioned above were experiences i do not personally like and yet im strong enough not to sin or be tempted by such experiences. Don't start leading to assumptions especially if you don't know the person personally, regardless of the faith or religion. ;)

Reply to SevenSorrows:

[quote name='SevenSorrows' date='Apr 20 2005, 10:46 AM']
but what would be the point of Catholic Club music?
[/quote]
To get people to enjoy music, enjoy the company, and enjoy dancing, and overall enjoy themselves.

what is the point to club music in general?
To get people to enjoy music, enjoy the company, and enjoy dancing, and overall enjoy themselves.

[quote name='SevenSorrows' date='Apr 20 2005, 10:46 AM']
you have to close your ears to bad music[/quote]
This is pretty true. Since I get censored and edited songs anyways, I figured I would look for Catholic clubs songs. This way I (hopefully) don't need to censor and edit, and at the same time introduce (hopefully) good Catholic music to people who may not know it exists. This is almost whole point of my question, so you don't have to close your ears to bad music.

Also, I do many parties and dances for the local churches and youth groups. They don't allow freak dancing and that sort. It's very possible to dance with modest clothes on without freaking and grinding and being suggestive. It's just that most people in general, Catholic or not, do not know how to dance. (This does not make freak dancing right). And in fact I also teach people dance like that when I'm at an church event in hopes that in the future they can do that instead of freaking.

Also, you seem to say "dancing is fun" and always put it in quotes. It seems to me you are implying that dancing is freaking. Freaking is not the only form of dancing. (personally I don't consider freaking dancing). Even though it is very common to see it in clubs, it is wrong to automatically characterize dancing as freaking. Sorry if I interpreted it wrongly, but that's the vibe I get from you.

I am very aware that most clubs are immoral. But these events I do at churches and youth groups certainly don't promote that. Maybe someday you'll encounter a Catholic DJ at a Catholic Party and see the other side of clubs and dancing. Good Catholics going to good clubs dancing in a good way is very possible.
Hopefully I have somewhat answered your questions. Now I hope someone will answer mine.

Guest Eremite

[quote]Maybe someday you'll encounter a Catholic DJ at a Catholic Party and see the other side of clubs and dancing.[/quote]

We have our own resident DJ here at Phatmass (dj 86). Hit em up. :D

Soberisms keep doin what you do. Everyone else worry bout yourself. Clubs need positive music...end of story. The reason the club scene is jacked is because of what music they listen to..If the music changes to positive music...thigs could change. Don't be so closed minded

Lounge Daddy

Man – there was a local youth organization that tried to start a Christian youth club back … 10 years ago or so ago
I think it was put together by some students at G.R. Baptist College (now a university)
I only went a few times – but this was a hardcore Bible-Baptist college crowd and it was mostly Petra, Amy Grant, at best early Newsboys, and (naturally) DC Talk
I requested Dietiphobia and Mortal… but they didn’t have it
Their operation was hardly fit for a club

man – if there was a Christian club today that played today’s Catholic music… dude! :cool:

Guest Eremite

Believe it or not, I read an article some time ago about an actual Christian club, where they have dress standards and don't serve alcohol (and naturally, don't allow songs with cussing). It was in Time or one of those magazines.

Edited by Eremite