An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why he chose Benedict...

Thy Geekdom Come

Thy Geekdom Come

A Legionaire of Christ tells us that the reason he chose the name Benedict was because the day before John Paul the Great died, he went to Subiaco, the original town of St. Benedict, and gave a great homily on the importance ot digging back into the roots of the Church.

It's after St. Benedict. :) He's bringing a renewal of tradition, orthodoxy, prayer, sacrifice, obedience, etc.

:D

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

Let us all jam out to Benedictine Monks in chant to honor Pope Benedict XVI.
I know I will!

+peace

I think it has something to do with St. Benedict being patron saint of Europe... I think we can expect Benedict XVI to work tirelessly to revive Europe's dying faith and tame the secular E.U.

Myles has a good bit on why he thinks he chose Benedict. Take a look at it in the debate forum under St. Malachi.

[quote name='Raphael' date='Apr 19 2005, 08:10 PM'] A Legionaire of Christ tells us that the reason he chose the name Benedict was because the day before John Paul the Great died, he went to Subiaco, the original town of St. Benedict, and gave a great homily on the importance ot digging back into the roots of the Church.

It's after St. Benedict. :) He's bringing a renewal of tradition, orthodoxy, prayer, sacrifice, obedience, etc.

:D [/quote]
I don't know why he chose it but here's the homily he gave in Subiaco on April 1st when he won the St. Benedict award for the Promotion of Life and the Family in Europe:

Cardinal Ratzinger on the Banishment of God From Public Life

Receives St. Benedict Award for Promotion of Life and Family

SUBIACO, Italy, APRIL 11, 2005 (Zenit.org).- Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger says that believers are faced with the tendency to banish God from public life and confine him to the "subjective realm of past residual cultures."

On April 1, when receiving the St. Benedict Award for the Promotion of Life and the Family in Europe, conferred by the Subiaco Foundation for Life and the Family, the dean of the College of Cardinals delivered an address on the present crisis of culture and identity, especially in the Old World.

After stating that "moral force has not grown apace with the development of science but, on the contrary, has diminished," Cardinal Ratzinger explained that "the most serious danger at this time is precisely the imbalance between technical possibilities and moral energy."

He gave two examples: the threat of terrorism and the possibility to manipulate the origin of human life.

The then prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith -- almost all heads of Vatican dicasteries lost their posts when John Paul II died -- pointed out that "Europe has developed a culture that, in a way previously unknown to humanity, excludes God from the public consciousness, either by denying him altogether or by judging that his existence cannot be demonstrated, is uncertain and, therefore, somewhat irrelevant to public life."

An attempt is being made "to build the human community absolutely without God," the cardinal stressed.

"The rejection of reference to God is not an expression of tolerance which wishes to protect non-theist religions and the dignity of atheists and agnostics, but rather an expression of the desire to see God banished definitively from humanity's public life, and driven into the subjective realm of residual cultures of the past," he warned.

For the cardinal, the starting point of this view is "relativism," which has become "a dogmatism that believes it is in possession of the definitive knowledge of reason, and with the right to regard all the rest as a stage of humanity, which has basically been surpassed, and which can be suitably relativized."

At this rate, Cardinal Ratzinger added, we will no longer "be able to affirm that homosexuality, as the Catholic Church teaches, is an objective disorder of the structure of human existence."

"The fact that the Church is convinced of not having the right to confer priestly ordination on women, is now considered by some as irreconcilable with the European Constitution," he added.

In the final part of his address, Cardinal Ratzinger explained that "we need roots to survive and we must not lose them from sight if we do not want human dignity to disappear."

"Only creative reason, which has been manifested in the crucified God as love, can really show us the way," he said. "We need men who will keep their sight on God, learning there" what "true humanity" is, as "only through men touched by God, can God again be close to men."

Interesting note from online Catholic blogger: Notice the part I highlighted in orange:

[url="http://catholicanalysis.blogspot.com/2005/04/pope-benedict-xvi-joseph-ratzinger.html"]http://catholicanalysis.blogspot.com/2005/...-ratzinger.html[/url]

Habemus papam! We have a Pope! We have a Holy Father again. It is indeed news of great joy. The Church of Christ subsisting in its fullness in the Catholic Church will proclaim the revelation of Jesus Christ forcefully, brilliantly, without compromise and without dilution. Christ gave us Peter to confirm our faith and to ensure that the deposit of faith persists to the end of the age.

This papacy will be no "caretaker" or "transitional" papacy. Joseph Ratzinger did not accept the offer of the papacy to do nothing or to engage in minimalism of any sort. He will be on the offensive without being "offensive." For the first time in recent TV appearances, he looked genuinely happy and remarkably at ease. That means that he knows he has a mission and is fully committed to it with full confidence and trust in the assistance of the Holy Spirit.

The best line to describe what we will see in the coming years is what our new Pope said yesterday, in so many words, in his homily to the assembled cardinals: "Love without truth is blind; truth without love is like a clanging cymbal." In Benedict XVI, both truth and love will merge to propose to all the world genuine conversion to Jesus Christ who is both Truth and Love. We do not negotiate with revelation--we accept it on our knees in full surrender. The authentic boldness of the apostles we saw in John Paul the Great will continue. Hold on to your seats.

[color=orange]Note: According to one encyclopedia, the preceding Benedict XV, who ruled from 1914 to 1922 (interestingly for 8 years), served during World War I. He was a former diplomat, a strong advocate for peace, and concerned with missionary work, canon law, and with the Eastern churches.[/color]

melporcristo

[quote name='Ave Maria Totus Tuus' date='Apr 19 2005, 06:47 PM'] Let us all jam out to Benedictine Monks in chant to honor Pope Benedict XVI.
I know I will!

+peace [/quote]
^_^ thats awesome!!

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Apr 20 2005, 10:27 AM'] I think the example of Benedict XV will also strongly inflouence this papacy. [/quote]
How? The media keeps saying that Benedict XV was a moderate who opposed his predecessor... :unsure:

God Conquers

[quote name='Raphael' date='Apr 20 2005, 11:14 AM'] How? The media keeps saying that Benedict XV was a moderate who opposed his predecessor... :unsure: [/quote]
This is not true. (surprising since the media is saying it!?)

Maybe he was "moderate"... by the satndards of [b]1914[/b]!!!

hahaha... I mean, what do you think that means? I know the media would say he secretly thought Margaret Sanger was cool and that pre-war nationalism was a great thing! But Catholics today would not percieve his papacy this way.

Benedict XV brought unity to a CHurch which was divided. This means, that, after a Papacy which divided people and turned them against each other, he united them and caused them to see the true Church, recognize their similarites and work together for Christ.

He tried to restore unity to a broken world, torn by war and disease. He was influential especially in his relations with the Muslim world, there is actually a statue of him in Turkey because of this. I would suspect that he also had a good relationship with the orthodox church because of this.

Let's compare the timing of their papacies as well:

Benedict XV: Reigns after the long papacy of Pius X

Benedict XVI: Reigns after the long Papacy of John Paul II

Benedict XV: The second Pope after Vatican I... 40 some years after it's completion.

Benedict XCI: The Second Pope after Vatican II (really.... not counting JPI).... nearly 20 years after its completion.

I think the resemblences are striking.