An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why he chose Benedict...

Thy Geekdom Come

sweetpea316

Hey guys, I just wanted to say thanks for this thread! I had been wondering about this stuff myself, and my roommate asked me about it last night also, so now I know! Gracias! ^_^ God bless

God Conquers

hmmm.... for some reason I can't edit my post..... It's been nearly 40 years since VII, not 20..... I'm noit sure why I did that....

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Apr 20 2005, 03:51 PM'] This is not true. (surprising since the media is saying it!?)

Maybe he was "moderate"... by the satndards of [b]1914[/b]!!!

hahaha... I mean, what do you think that means? I know the media would say he secretly thought Margaret Sanger was cool and that pre-war nationalism was a great thing! But Catholics today would not percieve his papacy this way.

Benedict XV brought unity to a CHurch which was divided. This means, that, after a Papacy which divided people and turned them against each other, he united them and caused them to see the true Church, recognize their similarites and work together for Christ.

He tried to restore unity to a broken world, torn by war and disease. He was influential especially in his relations with the Muslim world, there is actually a statue of him in Turkey because of this. I would suspect that he also had a good relationship with the orthodox church because of this.

Let's compare the timing of their papacies as well:

Benedict XV: Reigns after the long papacy of Pius X

Benedict XVI: Reigns after the long Papacy of John Paul II

Benedict XV: The second Pope after Vatican I... 40 some years after it's completion.

Benedict XCI: The Second Pope after Vatican II (really.... not counting JPI).... nearly 20 years after its completion.

I think the resemblences are striking. [/quote]
The media keeps saying he chose his name to "soften" his conservative image, because the last Benedict was a "moderate" or "progressive." I think this is baloney.

God Conquers

[quote name='Socrates' date='Apr 20 2005, 06:46 PM']The media keeps saying he chose his name to "soften" his conservative image, because the last Benedict was a "moderate" or "progressive."  I think this is baloney.[/quote]
I don't think the media has any clue what they are talking about.

Just because St. Pius X, a hardline traditionalist (and a saintly and holy man, I'm just talking politics here) disliked Benedict XV does NOT mean that he was a "progressive" by any sense of the word.

And I think that is he WAS a progressive, it would be the kind of progressive which JPII was for the CHurch and the world. A man who was unwavering in the truth, yet brought new ideas and new approaches to ministry.

They have no clue what they're talking about...