An Old School Catholic Message Board

HardBall...

M.A.N.

Hardball with Chris Mathews just ended and there were two Catholics: a Nun who wants changes in the Church and a local Priest.

Chris asked the question to the Nun "Why do you, sister, go to Church? What's in it for you? Why do you go? What do you get out of it?"

The Nun answered the question with a long response that clearly stated she attends Church for community and gathering with others

When Chris asked the Father to answer another question and to respond; the Priest asnwered for the same reasons, he goes for community and gathering with others.

Now, for me watching this I was somewhat upset. These two leaders and servants of our Church did not even mention the Eucharist. We are in the Year of the Eucharist and this should be the first reason why we go to Church. Now, I understand secondary reasons for attending Church like community and etc.. however, I believe in what John 6 states and I am extremely upset these two missed one of the most important of the Lord's Gift to us, the Eucharist.

I am every thankful to the Trinity for giving us Pope Benedict XVI today, we need a leader and a servant of servants to combat the evil that blinds us to the true meaning in our life, God.

littleflower+JMJ

yes the media is writing and interviewing all the catholics who really have been led astray...... :shame: many dont understand their faith anymore.....*especially* in america where they think posting statistics and taking polls will have an effect on the social and current issues in the Church

they really are working hard to look like the Holy MOther Church can't handle today issues when really we've been dealing with them since hte ECF........

we should all be soo gratefull for the wonderful Shepard we have as Our Holy Father now......Our Church needs great prayer in this day and age!

I know. Another thing that kills me (almost literally) is how Paula Zahn and others group the entire Catholic Church in America as being out of lined with the Holy See, but were not. The media interviews a small percent of American Catholics and spins it..... making the US look out of sync with the rest of the Catholics. I have relatives in Argentina wondering how bad are American Catholics because, of satellite, they see the US media making American Catholics look out of step with the rest of the World community of Catholics, but a large portion of praticing American Catholics aren't.

Edited by M.A.N.

toledo_jesus

you have to admit though, the average American Catholic does not attend Mass every Sunday, cannot tell you what the Eucharist actually is, and practices birth control or other sinful things. And the vocal ninnies who call themselves sisters give all Catholics a bad name.

if the sister had her way, we would all be singing kumbayah with "jesus walking beside us as our friend"......

puke.

there is more to the Faith than that superficial, immature vomit that the nun was spouting. i apologize for the vehement sentiments being expressed.

argent_paladin

They didn't really answer the question. If they are looking for community and fellowship, then why the CATHOLIC church? Why not other churches? Why not Mormonism?

And why any church? Why not a sowing club? Or a bowling league? Or a book group?

What is it, for them, that makes them seek community in the Catholic church? They don't even make sense in their own context.

On a related subject, I've already heard death wished upon Pope Benedict XVI twice, and the day is yet young. Here is an illuminating story for those who think that Ratzinger will only serve for a few years.

Pope Pius IX reigned from 1846 to 1878, the longest of any successor to Peter. He oversaw the First Vatican Council and lost the Papal States. After the 31 year pontificate, the college of cardinals chose someone elderly. So they selected Gioacchino Pecci, the Cardinal Archbishop of Perugia, who was 10 days shy of his 68th birthday (this was when life expectancy was around). As Pope Leo XIII, he served for 25 years, second only to his predecessor. He wrote several influential encyclicals that are influential today, the most important being Rerum Novarum, the seminal text of Catholic social teaching. This "transitional pope" died at the ripe old age of 93. And to our Holy Father, I say "Sto Lat!" "May you live to be 100!"

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Apr 19 2005, 08:58 PM'] you have to admit though, the average American Catholic does not attend Mass every Sunday, cannot tell you what the Eucharist actually is, and practices birth control or other sinful things. And the vocal ninnies who call themselves sisters give all Catholics a bad name. [/quote]
and the average european does?

argent_paladin

Their reply reminds me of the last question in the EWTN interview with the Holy Father:

[quote]Raymond: My final question, what do you see, your Eminence, as the great danger and the great hope in the Church today?

Cardinal: I see the great danger is that we would be only a social association and not founded in the faith of the Lord.  For the first moment, it seems important that only what we are doing and the faith appears not so important.  But if the faith disappears, all the other things are discomposed, as we have seen.  So, I think there is a danger at this time with all these activities and external visions is to underestimate the importance of faith and to lose the faith, even a Church where the faith would not be so essential. [/quote]

The thing that the people on CNN embrace, is the very thing that Pope Benedict sees as the greatest danger to the Church. And we all know who is right.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Apr 19 2005, 08:58 PM'] you have to admit though, the average American Catholic does not attend Mass every Sunday, cannot tell you what the Eucharist actually is, and practices birth control or other sinful things. And the vocal ninnies who call themselves sisters give all Catholics a bad name. [/quote]
Well I thinkthe average American Catholic can tell you that the Host IS Body of Christ, just that he doesn't believe it.

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Apr 19 2005, 09:09 PM'] if the sister had her way, we would all be singing kumbayah with "jesus walking beside us as our friend"......

puke.

there is more to the Faith than that superficial, immature vomit that the nun was spouting. i apologize for the vehement sentiments being expressed. [/quote]
That was actually well put.

toledo_jesus

[quote name='jezic' date='Apr 19 2005, 11:30 PM'] and the average european does? [/quote]
nope. they are worse off. but they have gotten to the point where they just don't care. We get the kooks who think they can change the Church

I can't watch the news anymore without throwing and yelling things at it.

you know, since the Pope has been elected, we are again a punching bag for liberals and the media.

DemonSlayer

Yeah, they keep on labelling him "conservative", meaning that he's not into all the modern trends on moral issues, it's very annoying.
They don't know what they're talking about.

Pope Benedict .......YESSSSSSSSS
(My Confirmation Name!)
If I see one more liberal Nun in street clothes dissing the new Papa on CNN I think I will vomit!