An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does anyone else feel a little weird?

Zoecool13

As excited as I am about Pope Benedict XVI, I feel a little weird. It's different first saying Pope without refering to John Paul II. It's also a little weird because it's like my father died, and two weeks later he was replaced, and that just seems odd. Anyone else feel the same way?

Yes, dont feel badly about it. Its a new person, it'll take time for people to warm up to him.

Im still very happy though. :)

not just 20, but 26 and a half years!

I think it was kind of odd to see Ratzinger in white and being called Benedict! That's going to be the hardest!

I felt that JP2 was like a real father to me and prayed for him constantly and read all his stuff. I loved him dearly.

So yes. It is wierd. But a good wierd. a holy wierd? :huh:

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

John Paul was indeed a great man, and no one says you cannot continue to pray for him. He will be an extremely important man of our generation and for the whole Church of the future, he will not be forgotten.

We must also embrace our new Holy Father that the Holy Spirit has given us, and be ready to move ahead with the Church and with Pope Benedict XVI as disciples of Christ.

In other words, it's all good.

+peace

Ash Wednesday

On Sunday the priest saying mass accidentally started to say "your servant Pope John Paul..." and then had to correct himself.

I think it will take a while to get used to.

The changeover, and having a new father, however, is most certainly necessary -- gotta keep a pilot at the helm to steer the plane... :cyclops:

Even now when Pope Benedict (I keep wanting to call him Cardinal Ratzinger) gave his first speech as Pope, mentioned being a humble follower of the Great John Paul -- I doubt he's going to say "I'm here and forget about jp2"

I thought I'd feel weirder than I do. Pope Benedict XVI seems just right now, though, so I feel only happy.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Apr 19 2005, 10:06 PM'] On Sunday the priest saying mass accidentally started to say "your servant Pope John Paul..." and then had to correct himself.

[/quote]
Ours did too....

Seeing another man besides JPII in papal garments, on the balcony, etc just doesn't look right.. I mean I know it is but it doesn't l seem it lol

Edited by Tony

Dreamweaver

[quote name='Tony' date='Apr 19 2005, 11:33 PM'] Seeing another man besides JPII in papal garments, on the balcony, etc just doesn't look right.. I mean I know it is but it doesn't l seem it lol [/quote]
I know exactly what you're talking about. At this point, "Pope Benedict XVI" doesn't roll off my tongue. Since the only pope I've lived through was JP2, its hardwired into my brain to think "Pope...Pope John Paul II".

I'm excited to see how Benedict XVI heads the church. Will he put out any cool letters or encyclicals?

having already loved and extolled the smackdown virtues of our new Holy Father when he was still a cardinal, to me the hardest thing is to get used to calling him B16 (or Ben 16 or Benne :D) i keep wanting to say Ratzinger! ill get used to it tho.

he looked so happy and full of peace and joy at the window today, its such a beautiful thing :D