An Old School Catholic Message Board

U.S. Catholics likely to follow 'conscience'

Fidei Defensor

AndreaMercer

What I find really sad is that people don't even take a chance to find out WHY the church believes what it believes on moral issues. You see it all the time...people are misinformed by the media. We (the church) obviously want to 'oppress' women by not allowing them to take birth control for example. Look at the tragedies that are the outcome of birth control! Not only does it exclude God from an institution that He created, not only does it potentially murder the concieved child...it also creates a culture of disrespect of women! I really struggled with these issues when I was engaged, and then when we got married I can clearly see how my husband respects the whole me. He doesn't use me as a sexual object. And it only starts with being seen as an object for pleasure....from there it gets worse!

It just breaks my heart that people don't even TRY to find out the truth as to why the Church teaches what it does... Maybe if they did, and actually had a bit of faith in CHRIST'S Church, they would find what they're looking for!

Just as our holy father said while he was cardinal ratzinger - very few actually hate the church who understand what it truly is.

Catholictothecore

How can anyone who knows what the Church is do anything but hate it? It is the mystical body of Christ!

AndreaMercer, I think people are "content" with the media's version because that's the version they want to hear. All of us in some way or antoher don't want to be told that we are lacking faith. And those who do have faith in some extent want to believe that it is easy and won't involve self-sacrifice. But it does. We know that, and deep inside, they know it as well. We are the Mystical Body of Christ, and so with Him, I do believe that we are "a sign to be contradicted." The Papa most of all. The best we can do is pray, I guess.

[quote name='Catholictothecore' date='Apr 20 2005, 03:43 PM'] How can anyone who knows what the Church is do anything but hate it? [/quote]
I don't think you said what you meant to say.....

Catholictothecore

No, I didn't...you will all swear to forget that I printed that...I had started to write one thing and obviously didn't delete all of it.

I meant, how can anyone who knows that the church is hate it.

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Apr 20 2005, 03:55 PM'] Nearly three quarters of US Catholics are stupid-heads. [/quote]
:rolling:

AndreaMercer

[quote]AndreaMercer, I think people are "content" with the media's version because that's the version they want to hear. All of us in some way or antoher don't want to be told that we are lacking faith. [/quote]

You are so right!!! So what is the difference between those who are content and those of us who seek reason for the Church's teaching? How can we encourage our brothers and sisters to understand the truth about morality when they are content with the media version??

Thy Geekdom Come

Every Catholic should follow his conscience...and every Catholic should base his conscience off the teachings of the Magisterium.

There is an attitude we seem to have that our consciences are fully-formed and if we don't agree with a moral judgment, then our consciences can just veto it. This is a heresy. We must follow our consciences, which must be formed and educated based on the moral principles of the Holy Catholic Church.

I don't like the false dichotomy of these polls. Would you rather follow your conscience or follow the Magisterium? I'd rather do both.

Besides, why follow an incomplete conscience? Follow the complete form, which is properly educated, otherwise, you're not really following your conscience completely, and are lukewarm, and Christ shall spit you out like so much food.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='AndreaMercer' date='Apr 20 2005, 05:06 PM'] So what is the difference between those who are content and those of us who seek reason for the Church's teaching? [/quote]
Humility.

Catholictothecore

I actually think (and please understand that this is me thinking here) that it's because we, quite litterally, only see through our own eyes. And in American culture, though decent as it was meant to be, it is so easy to get swept away with the attitude that "I" is central. We want what we see is pleasing to us. Sex is pleasing, so why shouldn't "I" be able to have as much as I want of it, in any form "I" want? It's pride and self-centeredness, two faults that every single human being is guilty of in some form or another.