An Old School Catholic Message Board

Absolute Truth

Script-Teez

toledo_jesus

There is Absolute Truth, which means that relativism is bad, mmkay? Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Our new Pope has addressed this previously, as recently as Monday when he was still Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger.

Truth is abstract therefore it is subject. As one famous once said, there is no such thing as truth, just perception. :nerd:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Phazzan' date='Apr 20 2005, 11:34 AM'] Truth is abstract therefore it is subject. As one famous once said, there is no such thing as truth, just perception. :nerd: [/quote]
Phazzan, don't be silly.

Subjective truth is a fallacy. If there is no truth, then would it be true to say that there is no truth? If yes, then it is admitted that there is a truth (which is namely that there is no truth). If no, then there is a contradiction with the principle itself.

The principle itself is a contradiction. It's like the 'can God create a rock so big he can't lift it' paradox against omnipotence. It has no answer. I believe in absolute truth (science) and I believe we create our own truth, that is ultimately our perception.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Phazzan' date='Apr 20 2005, 12:50 PM'] The principle itself is a contradiction. It's like the 'can God create a rock so big he can't lift it' paradox against omnipotence. It has no answer. I believe in absolute truth (science) and I believe we create our own truth, that is ultimately our perception. [/quote]
Actually, the "rock so heavy" paradox has an answer. It's no, because God cannot limit His power, which would be a self-contradiction.

[quote name='Phazzan' date='Apr 20 2005, 11:50 AM'] The principle itself is a contradiction. It's like the 'can God create a rock so big he can't lift it' paradox against omnipotence. It has no answer. I believe in absolute truth (science) and I believe we create our own truth, that is ultimately our perception. [/quote]
JMJ
4/20 - Fourth Wednesday of Easter

There's no paradox because it requires God (a rational being) to violate the laws of reason (an irrational act). Doing follows being - there's fine points to be made here, but I won't make them unless asked. The principle stands.

Your challenge to God's omnipotence ends up not challenging His omnipotence at all. It's like if I were to say, "God can't know what I feel like when I move my right finger, so therefore He's not omniscient." Of course God can't know what I feel like when I move my right finger (He's not me, so He can't know in the subjective "I"), but that's no challenge to His omniscience at all.

BTW, your belief in absolute scientific truths and perceptions of truth hails back to the noumena/phenomena distinction ushered in by Kant. The only problem is that the distinction is self-refuting. Kant said that we cannot know what things truly are, only how they appear to us. What about that statement, though? It seems like we can know one thing for certain (noumena, or "scientific truth" in your sense), namely, that what a thing is cannot be known to us.

There are also self-refutation problems with the statement, "There are no absolute truths, only perceptions". For instance, the statement itself...is it a perception, or an absolute truth? If a perception, then I suppose my perception differs from yours - but if truth, then it is completely self-refuting.

Of course there exists objective truth - "Truth himself speaks truly or there's nothing true."

theculturewarrior

A lot of questions have shades of gray, and elements of subjectivity that require a certain amount of ambiguity tolerance. But genocide has no shade of gray, and neither does slavery. The same people who proclaim the death of Truth militate for abortion on demand and the "right" to die. Relativism engenders genocide.

Myles Domini

Jesus said:

I AM THE WAY, AND THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE

Yes there is objective truth. His name is God. He is an unchanging, immutable being and all that He is, is unchangeable and immutable. That is the belief of the Church, always has been always will be.

My mentor, Dr. Warren Carroll, taught me, "If forget everything else, you learned, remeber these five words: Truth exists. The Incarnation happened."

The Catholic Faith is built on the principle of absolute truth.

Truth does not depend on our opinion or perception.

Pope Benedict XVI is dead right about the evil of relativism.

[quote name='Phazzan' date='Apr 20 2005, 09:50 AM'] The principle itself is a contradiction. It's like the 'can God create a rock so big he can't lift it' paradox against omnipotence. It has no answer. I believe in absolute truth (science) and I believe we create our own truth, that is ultimately our perception. [/quote]
Science is an "absolute truth"? You're joking, right? At one time science thought that the Sun revolved around the Earth.

in science nothing is ever proven, all is a theory. Absolute Truth exists, without it, I don't see how anything could exist.