An Old School Catholic Message Board

Triple Crown Tiara

MC Just

conservativecatholic

I was just thinking about that! I believe that John XXIII put to rest the papal tiara. It would be delightful to see our wonderful Supreme Pontiff Benedict XVI recover that awesome tradition!

MilesChristi

Considering the spirit of deep humility which Pope Benedict has shown so far, I doubt he'll bring back the papal tiara. John Paul II (the Great) did not want a coronation at the start of his papacy. I think Pope Benedict will follow his predecessor's lead in this matter.

God Conquers

BLING BLING BLING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man.... that would automatically make the cover art of the next phatmass album.... especially if he had them install "The Pope is Dope" in latin in diamonds around the bottom.

conservativecatholic

[quote name='MilesChristi' date='Apr 20 2005, 06:26 PM'] Considering the spirit of deep humility which Pope Benedict has shown so far, I doubt he'll bring back the papal tiara. John Paul II (the Great) did not want a coronation at the start of his papacy. I think Pope Benedict will follow his predecessor's lead in this matter. [/quote]
Though a man of humility, he is a man of tradition.

Don John of Austria

His Holiness is a king, to neglect coranation is to neglect his role as king, it is not an act of humility to do so but one of pride, pride that one knows better than century's of tradition.

toledo_jesus

I think that the last few popes, including Paul VI, had a good reason to forego the crowning. It's not a matter of pride or false humility, but the message they want to send about their approachability or something. I'm sure it's been addressed in relevant literature.

Forgoeing the crowning of the Pope fits well with his title as "Servant of the Servants of God". I, personally, would love to see the regalia come back -- coronation of the Pope, etc..... but I also recognize that Christ was crowned with thorns and do we dare intend for the Holy Father to be crowned with a triple tiara....

Don John of Austria

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Apr 20 2005, 07:23 PM'] Forgoeing the crowning of the Pope fits well with his title as "Servant of the Servants of God". I, personally, would love to see the regalia come back -- coronation of the Pope, etc..... but I also recognize that Christ was crowned with thorns and do we dare intend for the Holy Father to be crowned with a triple tiara.... [/quote]
Your statment shows a deeply lacking understanding of kingship, all kings are servants of those they rule, if they cease to serve they cease to be kings and become tyrants. Post enlightenment propoganda not withstanding, most monarchs where kings not tyrants, his Holiness is a king, he should be crowned like one.

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Apr 20 2005, 07:15 PM'] I think that the last few popes, including Paul VI, had a good reason to forego the crowning.  It's not a matter of pride or false humility, but the message they want to send about their approachability or something.  I'm sure it's been addressed in relevant literature. [/quote]
Paul VI was crowned with the the Triple Tiara. John Paul I was the first not to be crowned, but elevated.

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14714c.htm"]Tiara[/url]
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_Tiara"]Papal Tiara[/url]
That should help.

[quote]The tiara is a non-liturgical ornament, which, therefore, is only worn for non-liturgical ceremonies, ceremonial procession to church and back, ceremonial papal processions, such as took place upon stated occasions until Rome was occupied by the Piedmontese, and at solemn acts of jurisdiction, as, for example, solemn dogmatic decisions.[/quote]

[quote]The pope, like the bishops, wears a mitre at pontifical liturgical functions. The tiara is first mentioned in the "Vita" of Pope Constantine (708-715) contained in the "Liber Pontificalis". It is here called camelaucum; it is then mentioned in what is called the "Constitutum Constantini", the supposed donation of the Emperor Constantine, probably forged in the eighth century.[/quote]

Cam

N.B. [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Paul_VI"]Pope Paul VI[/url] was crowned, see the picture about 1/4 the way down.

It's possible that Pope Benedict XVIcould bring it back, but i doubt it. It would be really cool with the whole ceremony too.

1337 k4th0l1x0r

Triple Crown Tiara? I didn't know Ratzinger has entered the Kentucky Derby, much less the Preakness and the Belmont Stakes.

What does horse racing have to do with the popes? I'll tell you. The last triple crown winner was in 1978, before JP2 (or JP1) was elected pope. It would be very interesting, and quite coincidental, if a triple crown was won this spring.

Ash Wednesday

Here's an article from Yahoo discussing some things he's brought back, including, interestingly enough returning to the royal "we" instead of "I" when giving an address to the cardinals.

[url="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&ncid=564&e=2&u=/nm/20050424/ts_nm/pope_dc_89"]New Pope Sets Store by Lost Traditions[/url]