An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communion

Timothy

I will be getting married this August :D and I have a few protestant friends. How should I tell them thay they can not participate in taking communion? What are the reasons? My protestant friends say that in their church everybody is allowed to take communion, no matter what church you are from or in. Help please and thanks

MilesChristi

[quote]I will be getting married this August[/quote]

Congratulations!

As Catholics, we believe that the Holy Eucharist is something far greater than a symbol - it is the true Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus Christ Himself. When we approach the priest, he says, "The Body of Christ," to which we respond, "Amen." By saying amen, we proclaim that we indeed believe the Host is the Body of Christ. Since Protestants do not believe this, going up and saying amen would be a false acclamation for them.

The Church also teaches us that Holy Communion is not just between Jesus and the communicant - it is an act of communion with the entire Church. In this way, we are in communion - we are one - as a Church. To be in communion with the Church means assenting to all her doctrine. Doctrinally, Protestants differ in many respects from Catholics. They do not accept many of our teachings. As such, they are not as one with the Church and have separated themselves from communion. This is why they are often called "our separated brethren in Christ."

Since your friends do not yet believe as we believe, they should not receive Communion, which is to be at one with Jesus and of like mind with His Church. You might want to encourage your friends to participate spiritually during this time, perhaps by praying for you and your new wife.

I hope this helps a bit. God bless! :)

cmotherofpirl

Tell them if they take Communion it means they agree with all the teachings of the Catholic Church. :)

Jake Huether

We had the same situation. Just have the Priest make an announcement before Communion. Our Priest said something along the lines of, "For those of you who are not Catholic, or are not able to receive Communion, you may come up with your arms crossed for a Blessing..." Something like that. It takes the burden off you. Then if they come later and ask, you can explain in more detail. Sometimes it's hard just to, out of no where, tell them that they cannot receive.

However, make sure your Priest is very explicit about it. We watched our wedding video a year later and noticed a few of our Protestant friends go up and receive Communion anyway. :( All we can do is pray for them - since they sincerely didn't know.

Thanks everybody, and I will let my friend know.(as I have already done) Also, I will talk to my priest and ask him to make an announcement before communion. Great idea! :D

phatcatholic

don't most weddings have a brochure/pamphlet/bulletin type thing for the wedding, where the people can follow along and know what's coming next and the songs that will be sung and stuff like that? you could have a note in there also.

Are wedding suppose to have that?? :o I think your right..man so much to do! I'm sure My fiance is handeling that, but I will recommend it to her. Good idea.

cmotherofpirl

You can run off little booklets with who is doing the readings, who is singing what, and put a little note in that Communion is for Catholics in a state of grace.

Jake Huether

Absolutely! The booklet is a perfect place to put this info! Great idea. It is also good to keep everyone litterally "on the same page" as the events of the Mass unfold. Your protestant friends / fam. will like this.

franciscanheart

yeah there is special procedure for that. i know at my church they like require you to put it in there. it explains why and everything. :)

Here is what my priest wrote back to me.

[quote]All right. Holy Communion. Your take on the situation is correct. Your instruction is company policy. And well stated. So far so good. However...

Common sense has a place here, too. When a Christian--like your friend--is attending a Christian/Catholic ceremony for a legitimate, even a very good reason--say, a wedding--there is not a provision for partiial participation in Holy Communion: it's receive or not receive. (There is not provision of communion wafer being destibuted by a congregant of his denomination-- now, is there?) While you are right about the "Amen" being an assent to a whole body of belief it is good to realize that almost no one in the world would think it means all of that. At most, sincere visitors would regard a single word as being a response to the Host being offered. 

Many Christians is that situation have decided in the inner chamber of their souls to respectfully receive Communion with an openness to whatever Sacredness this might entail. I have never discouraged them from making their own choices, nor have I ever refused those choosing to approach the Sacrament,  while at the same time showing a willingness to explain or answer any questions they might have. WWJD, as the kids' bracelets ask. Well, Enzo, I think Jesus would do pretty much the same as I would.

Does this help?[/quote]

AfroNova No Limit Soldier

I am getting married Saturday & am in the same situation. We have a program for the Nuptial Mass to help people know when to sit/stand/kneel, etc. because we will have some Protestants, Non-Christians, athiests, agnostics, etc. If you go to www.usccb.org, you can find the "Guideslines for Holy Communion."

PM me if you want me to send you a copy of our program. You can feel free to use it.

God bless & Mary protect!