An Old School Catholic Message Board

Athiests say “Pope Ratzinger” is bad for freedom

thicke

[url="http://www.phxnews.com/fullstory.php?article=20421"]http://www.phxnews.com/fullstory.php?article=20421[/url]

This is the first time I got a belly laugh out of one of the many attacks on Papa Ben I've seen.

[url="http://www.thicke.org/archives/2005/04/20/athiests-say-pope-ratzinger-is-bad-for-freedom/"]Here's [/url] my answer to it. It's late and I feel a little light headed....so sorry....

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote]She added that Ratzinger...is the foremost advocate of "reconverting" Europe to Catholicism, and is a leading opponent of secularism.[/quote]

Darn straight...what's wrong with that?

Like any other pope shouldn't fit that description? :rolleyes:

[quote]"He clearly sees government as a servant and instrument of the church."[/quote]

Rather, he sees the Church as the servant of all...and part of being a servant means correcting the errors of those being served.

[quote]"He's got the mentality of a Crusader..."[/quote]

So did St. King Louis IX. They should read up on what he did in Damietta.

I have never heard the phrase, "papal throne." Sounds almost like a dictator. Oh well, who gives a rat's arse what they say?

Ardillacid of the great semi-millenium squirrel club

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='ardillacid' date='Apr 21 2005, 12:12 AM'] the great semi-millenium squirrel club [/quote]
I think I'm going to like you.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='ardillacid' date='Apr 21 2005, 01:12 AM'] I have never heard the phrase, "papal throne." Sounds almost like a dictator. Oh well, who gives a rat's arse what they say?

Ardillacid of the great semi-millenium squirrel club [/quote]
Actually, the pope does have a throne.

I know, but it just seemed to be put in a bad light. I don't know, maybe i'm just overtired and am seeing something where there is nothing

ardillacid who lives long spanish

I understand, and monarchies are perfectly legit, it just seems in the US that there is a negative stereotype that goes along with them, no?

Ardillacid

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='ardillacid' date='Apr 21 2005, 01:46 AM'] I understand, and monarchies are perfectly legit, it just seems in the US that there is a negative stereotype that goes along with them, no?

Ardillacid [/quote]
Yes, there is.

• 3 months later...

[quote]"Ratzinger is even more extreme that Pope John Paul II. He opposes many of the civil liberties that Americans take for granted including equal rights, dissent from religion, and even free speech. He clearly sees government as a servant and instrument of the church."[/quote]

To that, I simply say:

Viva Papa! Viva Benedict XVI - long may he sit on stPeter's throne!

[quote]"He's got the mentality of a Crusader, and his attitudes will provide new ammunition to Islamic extremists like Osama bin Laden."[/quote]

Compared to George Bush, Benedict XVI is at worst a bunny rabbit as far as inflaming sialm is concerned.

[quote]"The American Religious Civil War has just gone nuclear," said Silverman.[/quote]

The vatican has nuclear weapons?

And did any of you read some of the comments at the end of the article?

I like this one:

[quote]Liberalism is a treatable social disease.[/quote]
I don't know how treatable it is, but it certainly is a disease (in my opinion).

And I thought this one was cute too:

[quote]Pope Benedict XV may be BAD news for secularists, but he is GREAT news for TRUE believers![/quote]
Typo of course... made me chuckled. I almost want to comment for him to get to modern times because we've reached Benedict XVI now... lol

hahaha

I love Benedict XVI. He has tons of surprises for the Liberals and Secularists coming up.

Pope Benedict XVI was once a liberal, actually he was during Vatican II. (As were many people during that time).

I love the fact that Benedict XVI is tough and persistant. Its time for a srping cleaning.

The Holy Father was not a "liberal" (or a "conservative", for that matter). He was and remains a Catholic.

As for his outlook during the Council, he specifically rejects the charge that he has become something he was not:

[quote]"The Council wanted to mark a transition from a protective to a missionary attitude. Many forget that for the Council the counter-concept to 'conservative' is not 'progressive' but 'missionary'. ...It is not I who have changed, but others."

--"The Ratzinger Report", pgs. 13, 18[/quote]

Edited by Era Might

Ash Wednesday

Absolutely. Because he wasn't going along with people putting the cart before the horse (and pushing it down a hill in the so-called "spirit' of Vatican II....) he was labeled as developing a "conservative streak"...

Viva il Papa. :)