An Old School Catholic Message Board

My View On Homosexuals

Paladin D

Listen, I'm not gonna go on and on with the phrase "Love the sinner, hate the sin" bit. Actually, it is accurate...but it's over-used a lot by fundamentalists, it usually becomes a "I have an excuse to rough you up for the better". It's a phrase that has been abused by some.

Anyways... I enjoy Homosexuals. Of course it varies amongst each person (just like with Heterosexuals). I like them as a person, but I just disagree with their lifestyle.

I have no problem with someone who has Homosexual tendencies and remains celebate (blah typo?). But I have to be against homosexual marriage. Maybe it wouldn't be a really bad idea, if a...

Single parent person with Homosexual orientation, who remained celebate all his/her life, would adopt a child? Would that NOT be sinful? He/she would not try and justify his/her orientation, but would love the child and raise the child up in the Catholic faith.

...with that, I don't see a problem. Unless I'm off of Catholic teaching, please let me know.

Hyper and Good Friday, I think you guys are just cool. I appreciate your company a lot. Hyper, please don't leave buddy.

honestly, one of my favorite shows on TV is qwerty eye for the straight guy...

i love the saying 'love the sinner, hate the sin'. i believe st. augustine said it...

a priest in confession gave me another good analogy(sp?) for it.

he said that it's the same as a doctor who cares for the patient but not the cancer killing him/her.

that made put a tangable reality to it for me, because sin is so much like cancer: if found early enough, easily cured, sometimes able to be avoided, but unlike cancer, there is a cure... thanks be to God, it's Him! lol

I don't regard homosexuals as any different from heterosexuals, really.

I wish I didn't even know their sexual orientation. Why should I be privvy to that kind of info?

But if I must know it, then I am made aware of an extremely heavy cross that my friend or neighbor is carrying. And, like Simon the Cyrene, I must try to help him along his way when the going gets tough.

I hope I manage to do that ok.

Sometimes I probably screw up royally, because I don't share this same cross.

But I admire the courage that my celibate homosexual friends have to commit themselves to spiritual and physical purity. I say, that is sainthood in the making.

Pax Christi. <><

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I like the don't ask, don't tell policy the military has. Keep your sexuality to yourself. Having homosexual feelings isn't sinful, the acts that it can lead to are. The Catechism says it best, homosexuals are called to chastity.

It's not fair that homosexual people are cast out from society so many times b/c they have a different sexual orientation. I used to be pretty prejudice myself until I realize that sin is sin and it's not fair to condemn one group and look past the actions/lifestyle of another. We all fall into sin b/c we are flawed creatures; some people's sin might be considered more evil or more brutal or more disgusting than others, but all sin is separation from God who is Holy. Who am I to tell someone else they are evil and condemned when I too have sins on my soul? The greatest commandment is to love each other as brothers and sisters, and a lot of Christians especially put this commandment on the backburner while preaching condemnation and hate instead of love. We should love everyone and help a brother or sister in need, instead of separating ourselves from people with insults and harrassment.

I don't have an opinion of homosexuals per se. I could say they are nice people and that I like them although I disagree with their lifestyle, but that wouldn't really be the truth. A lot of them are demented sickos you know you should just stay away from and keep them away from your children. It all depends on the individual person and heterosexuals can be demented sickos too. However, I think we should avoid thinking of homosexuals as a class of which we can say that we like them or dislike them in general and start thinking of them more as individuals and deciding what we think of them on a case by case basis. Does that make any sense?

I don't have an opinion of homosexuals per se.  I could say they are nice people and that I like them although I disagree with their lifestyle, but that wouldn't really be the truth.  A lot of them are demented sickos you know you should just stay away from and keep them away from your children.  It all depends on the individual person and heterosexuals can be demented sickos too.  However, I think we should avoid thinking of homosexuals as a class of which we can say that we like them or dislike them in general and start thinking of them more as individuals and deciding what we think of them on a case by case basis.  Does that make any sense?

why dou you initially say a lot of them are demented sickos who should be kept away from children, but end by saying that they should not be clumped and defined or praised or discriminated as a group? I don't get what you are saying.

why dou you initially say a lot of them are demented sickos who should be kept away from children, but end by saying that they should not be clumped and defined or praised or discriminated as a group? I don't get what you are saying.

What I'm saying is that some homosexuals are nice people, some homosexuals are demented sickos, some are friendly and smiley, some are asinine jerks. Of course, homosexuals can be defined as a group: people with a same-sex attraction. However, whether we like someone or dislike someone depends on the character of the individual. It's cruel and unchristian to verbally and/or physically abuse someone because they're "gay." It's condescending to say, "You know, I just wub dem so much, because they're just misunderstood, that's all, and they're not bad people, they're weally nithe." How do you know? You might meet a homosexual who was the worst *ss-h*l you ever met in your life, and just ticked you off until your head was about to explode every time you had to be around him. What I'm saying is that if you can't be bigoted, you shouldn't be condescending either. You have to appreciate the unicity of the individual and form your likes and dislikes accordingly. Make sense yet?

What I'm saying is that some homosexuals are nice people, some homosexuals are demented sickos, some are friendly and smiley, some are asinine jerks.  Of course, homosexuals can be defined as a group: people with a same-sex attraction.  However, whether we like someone or dislike someone depends on the character of the individual.  It's cruel and unchristian to verbally and/or physically abuse someone because they're "gay."  It's condescending to say, "You know, I just wub dem so much, because they're just misunderstood, that's all, and they're not bad people, they're weally nithe."  How do you know?  You might meet a homosexual who was the worst *ss-h*l you ever met in your life, and just ticked you off until your head was about to explode every time you had to be around him.  What I'm saying is that if you can't be bigoted, you shouldn't be condescending either.  You have to appreciate the unicity of the individual and form your likes and dislikes accordingly.  Make sense yet?

So you're basically saying that they are a lot like regular people? Ok, cool.

hyperdulia again

re: Anna

I ddon't feel the need to keep my sexual orientation to myself anymore than I feel the need to keep the fact I'm Catholic, the fact that I'm from Alabama, and the fact tha I'm one of fourteen children to myself. It is an integral part of who I am, how I see the world, how I raise my child, how I pray, and many other things.

It is not something I'm ashamed of or sorry for, so why should I not tell people, just because it might change how they view me? It might change how people view me if they find out that on my mother's side of the family I haave black and Jewish blood, should taht be kept to myself too?