An Old School Catholic Message Board

ask da nun

materdei

let_go_let_God

Materdei-

Hi there sister! How did you know that God was calling to the Religious life instead of Holy Marrage, and what did you "do" in discernment?

God bless-
LGLG

[quote name='let_go_let_God' date='Jul 4 2005, 04:35 PM']Materdei-

Hi there sister! How did you know that God was calling to the Religious life instead of Holy Marrage, and what did you "do" in discernment?

God bless-
LGLG
[right][snapback]631618[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well,
I entered pretty soon out of highschool. I am the type of person that sooooo wants to do what God wants of me, and so I probably didn't "discern" in the most ideal way, but Jesus knows each of us, right?
I just felt a stirring within me to be a sister- and I jumped and did it. I thought about maybe 6 mths before telling anyone. Those were difficult days, but after visiting a convent my youth- director suggested, I entered. I knew the community a total of 4 mths before joining them. Probably not the wisest approach, but as I said Jesus knows. I never really weighed marriage vs. religious life, personally.
I would say, that is always wise to look at religious life first- if you are not called you will know. Besides religious life is the only vocation you can live and discern at the same time.
I think I read on another thread that you are dating, and that you feel called to marriage, that is beautiful, we need faithful and holy married couples.

• 2 weeks later...
let_go_let_God

Thanks for the answer sister, I have always admired those women (like yourself) who have fully devoted themselves to the Church in the religious life. Like you said [quote] religious life is the onle vocation you can live and discern at the same time. [/quote]

Also I agree with you on [quote] I would say, that is always wise to look at religious life first- if you are not called you will know. [/quote]

I actually (not fully knowingly) started discerning the religious life in 7th grade ( I am now a sophmore in college) When I really started thinking about the religious life and how great it would be to be a sister, it felt like God hit me over the head with a 2 x 4. I truely admire you sister even though we haven't met. I guess I always have a tendency to ask most of the sisters I meet the same questions I asked you. I guess going to a Catholic college with a monestary on campus just makes me more interested in how the sisters I know felt about entering the religious life.

Thank you so much sister!

God bless-
LGLG

No problem LGLG!
I have read some of your thoughts on other threads. Hang in there, trying to figure out our path in life can be terribly scary and confusing, but it doesn't have to be- T RUST!!!
It always helps me to remember God WANTS me to know His will, He isn't playing hide and seek with me, and He wants my happiness. Sometimes things can take on a better perspective when we can step back, take a deep breath, and take God's hand knowing He will take us where He wants us; where we will be most fulfilled. Whatever direction you decide to take, whether it be religious life or marriage, He will be with you in your decision. Take the first step and He will lead you by closing or opening doors; it is the initial move that is most difficult!
God bless you!!!

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

Sister,

Do you have any suggestions of books to read or prayers to say for a woman discerning the Religious life? Any other advice during the time of discernment?

Thanks!

~Mallory

I think on of the best discernment books for girls/women is "And You Are Christ's..." by Fr. Dubay.

Amazing, amazing book!

Mallory,
There are so many good books out there! It kind of depends on the type of reading you are accustomed to. For instance, [u]Christian Totality, The Theology of the Consecrated Life[/u] is a great book but is a bit too scholarly for the beginner.
I would suggest reading lives of the saints, and particularly:
[u]Story of a Soul[/u] and [u]The Last Conversations[/u] of St. Therese of Lisieux
Writings of the saints, such as:
[u]Introduction to the Devout Life[/u] and [u]Thy Will be Done[/u] by St. Francis DeSales
Books on growth in spiritual life in general, for example:
[u]The Practice of the Presence of God[/u] by Brother Lawrence
[u]A Handbook of Spiritual Perfection[/u] by Philip E. Dion
Or there is also Church Documents:
[u]Vita Consecrata-Consecrated Life[/u]
[u]Congregavit nos in unum Christi Amor-Fraternal Life in Community[/u]
[u]Redemptionis Donum- To Men and Women Religious[/u]

As far as prayer, I would really make an effort to go to daily Mass, pray the rosary daily, and try to commit to Adoration weekly if not daily.

Also you might consider getting a spiritual director, if you don't already have one, someone to walk with you on your journey to Christ.

If you would like further suggestions in prayer as far as meditation, etc. E-mail me and we can personalize your prayer time a bit.