An Old School Catholic Message Board

ask da nun

materdei

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='May 26 2005, 08:20 PM']
that is like saying what you read in the news is gossip. I am not accusing him of this but rather others have. I am just presenting it. [/quote]
But was the can-can done at Mass? This is not specified. These quotes are speaking about a conference-was it before or after mass, maybe during praise and worship? Because that would make it extremely different. I find it hard to believe that Bishop Jacobs would be doing the Can-Can or any kind of liturgical dancing for that matter at a Mass when he has never allowed it in the Cathedral or our other parishes in our diocese.
Bishop Jacobs is highly respected within the Church by the faithful as well as by other bishops. The National Catholic Conference of Bishops has just named him head of the Committee of Evangelization for the US.

To be frank though I feel this dialogue is going no where. It seems to me you are not interested in seeing the good in Bishop Jacobs. I know him personally and you do not. I have tried to point out to you that you are slandering a bishop, and that you are gossiping, but this doesn't seem to move you. What you are saying is damaging to Bishop Jacobs reputation and your original sources were not even sited, therefore you are gossiping. I don't mean to be harsh, but I tried to point this out to you before.

[quote name='jezic' date='May 22 2005, 11:25 PM'] oh i have a question ....

do you get excited for prayer times in chapel?

Cause the way i think right now, i would have trouble staying out of that place. Eventually you just never want to leave so going back would be such a great joy.

*though honestly as a side note, this sort of plays into God's whole nature thing. Maybe i am over thinking it, but truely the Eucharist is special, thus a chapel where it is reserved is also very "special". However, God is equally present in all of creation by his very nature and so you can't ever really be "closer" or "father away" then you are right now. hmm.. that makes a conundrum.

more thoughts later but i feel like i am thinking outloud .... oh wiat, i am doing that ;)* [/quote]
That is cool that you get so excited about prayer! Especially prayer before the Blessed Sacrament. I think it is one of the greatest blessings in Religious life-to live in the same house as Jesus, and to be able to go and see Him whenever. He is soooo good to us!

one note: A wise saint once said NEVER criticize bishops or priests. They are Christ's representatives on earth. If you are wrong then you are judging Jesus. Bad stuff.

Pray for them so that their eyes might be opened.

Guest little heart

+JMJ+

A word from a Saint:

St Francis was said to have been in the presence of an angel, and a "known sinner" preist. At the sight of the two the saint fell on his knee and kissed the hands of the Priest.

little heart

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

I never caimed that any of this was true. Just wanted to see if you thought so...

i sense anger and that can only lead to the dark side! :lol:

Guest Eremite

Materdei,

Do you know anything about third order lay people? Are they considered actual members of the religious orders? I'm thinking about joining the third order carmelites. I read it is a vocation in itself...

Guest little heart

[quote name='Eremite' date='May 27 2005, 09:31 PM'] Materdei,

Do you know anything about third order lay people? Are they considered actual members of the religious orders? I'm thinking about joining the third order carmelites. I read it is a vocation in itself... [/quote]
Third Orders are lay people who are associated with a religious institute, sharing in their spirit. They live a secular lifestyle while leading an apostolic life, and striving for Christian perfection under the direction of the religious institute. They may share in the institutes spiritual life and its apostolate. (Code of Canon Law, 303-311)
I don't believe they are considered "members" of the religious institute, though they would belong to the particular spiritual family (for example carmelite, franciscan, dominican, etc.)
The term "order" delineates how you are connected to a larger Order (family)
Priests and brothers are 1st Order, women religious are 2nd Order, and laity are 3rd Order. I have never heard of a 3rd Order being considered a vocation of itself, rather it is an aid to live out the secular vocation through community, spirituality, and apostolate.

Sorry, I was logged in another a different user. Little heart is a member of my community. The above was from me.

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='May 27 2005, 08:59 PM'] I never caimed that any of this was true. Just wanted to see if you thought so...

i sense anger and that can only lead to the dark side! :lol: [/quote]
EENS,
There is such a thing called holy anger. An example of it would be when Jesus grew angry in the temple. Righteous anger is allowable when it is not done in hatred and it is for the good of anothers' soul as in pointing out a wrong done toward God, the Church, or God's creation.

Totus Tuus

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='May 23 2005, 06:47 PM'] I have a question.

Do you know Mother Angelica?
[/quote]
I know Mother Angelica :)

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

thats so cool!

How is Mother doing?

I heard she had a stroke and can no longer talk, is this true?

sam

MichaelFilo

Not to be rude, but this is not the place for a discussion on Mother Angelica. We have before us a Sister of the Lord, who is living out the life that many people here hope to partake in one day. It would be unwise to forget that this thread is a very good resource for many of us, and it is wholly disrespectful to get side-tracked.

Sister, if you don't mind me asking, do you have any special devotions that you keep or must keep as part of your order?

Also, do you have a personal confessor and would that be a secular priest or a religious priest?

God bless,
Mikey

[quote name='MichaelFilo' date='Jun 3 2005, 04:09 AM'] Not to be rude, but this is not the place for a discussion on Mother Angelica. We have before us a Sister of the Lord, who is living out the life that many people here hope to partake in one day. It would be unwise to forget that this thread is a very good resource for many of us, and it is wholly disrespectful to get side-tracked.

Sister, if you don't mind me asking, do you have any special devotions that you keep or must keep as part of your order?

Also, do you have a personal confessor and would that be a secular priest or a religious priest?

God bless,
Mikey [/quote]
Our biggest devotions (as a community) are to St. Joseph and Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. We devote specific prayers to each member of the Trinity daily. We pray the liturgy of the Hours 5 times a day and also have silent meditation twice for 45 min. each, once in the AM and once in the PM, as well as 15 min. after night prayer which by the way is a candle light vigil before the Blessed Sacrament! This time is super important for developing an intimate relationship with Our Lord.

Our patrons are: The Trinity, Sts. Michael, Raphael, Gabriel, St.Teresa of Avila, St. Therese the Little Flower, Our Lady Comforter of the Afflicted, St. Joseph, & St.John of the Cross
My personal devotions are to St.Francis Xavier and St.Maximillian Kolbe.
Francis Xavier is one of the 7 founders of the Jesuits. He brought the Gospel to India, China, and died on his way to Japan. I love him because of his zeal, and also because he gave everything to whatever he did. When he was a sinner, he was a sinner, and when he came to Christ, he came fully. Holding nothing back, He gave [b]EVERYTHING[/b].
Maximillian Kolbe is awesome because of his tremendous love. He is an amazing example to me of to what extent we are to love our neighbor! I also love his writings especially those on our Lady.

MichaelFilo

Whoa, very interesting. I wanted to join in the contemplative life but God has other plans. Thanks for answering though.

God bless,
Mikey

Carmelites rock.

Good questions Mikey.

You were right about it getting slightly side tracked. Stuff like that is not for the vocations board.

I have one, this is a bit more personal, but what does Carmel mean to you?

I don't know why but it is really *really* special to me and i am trying to figure it out, since i really have no reason to think that. It is a very good thing but strange because it is without motivation on my part.