An Old School Catholic Message Board

That Other Election

Ellenita

Zoecool13

Thatcherism is going to make a return...she'll be naming Janet Reno as her Special Administrative Assistant

Noel's angel

LABOUR!!!!!!!!!!!! (Only because Paul Murphy is the most attractive politician EVER)

Matt Black

I'll probably vote LibDem, if nothing else because I can't stand either of the other two parties and I think a hung Parliament would be a good outcome. Basically Labour and the Tories both make me sick, each trying to outdo each other on how tough they're going to be on crime, refugees, health and education; there's nothing really to choose between them since Labour's lurch to the right 10 years ago, apart from with Labour you get slightly bigger government (ie: more taxes) and with the Conservatives allegedly smaller government (which means the schools and hospitals will be in even more of a mess). 'Count' Michael Howard, the Rt Hon Member for Transylvania East, just gives me the creeps, promising to freeze our blood...sorry, taxes, and I also can't stand the way 'Mike-ull' speaks to 'peep-ull'; and Bliar the Grinning Idiot makes me want to get physically violent with the man. And as for that soft focus romantic film with him and Gordon...<note to mods: can we please have a projectile vomiting emoticon as nothing else will do here!>

And, in case you were wondering, here's several reasons why I won't be voting Conservative :

There are several things that Mr Howard has said himself and that have been used in election posters that are misleading and are simply a cynical attempt to appeal to people's prejudices in order to get votes and it is both dangerous and evil. Here are some of my favourites:

1. Conservative Party Poster

quote:
" How hard is it to keep a hospital clean? "

Where do I begin? Well,(my sister is an SHO in a Nottingham hospital, BTW, so I do know a bit about what I'm talking about here) 1. It's actually very difficult. There are many things going on, many people coming and going and it requires a lot of work to keep hospitals clean. 2. It was the last Conservative government that forced the hospitals to contract out the cleaning services to private firms to the lowest bidder. Some of these are such long contracts they are still in place. And many of these firms don't actually clean. 3. MRSA the hospital "Superbug" is a huge political issue. So let's get some facts straight:
MRSA is a strain of the bacteria Staphlycoccus aureus The MR bit stands for Methicillin Resistant (or multi-resistant). This simply means that it is resitant to the usual antibiotics that are used to treat it. It is usually treated with Vancomycin. In the absence of antibiotic therapy, MRSA is no more deadly than other S. aureus strains. Thus one can easily die from a S. aureus infection regardless of whether it is MRSA or not. It is just that MRSA is slightly harder to treat as the number of antibiotics available is less. S. aureus lives on the skin. Aproximately 2/3 of people reading this will have it on your skin now. That is normal. It can also survive on clothing, on floors, on walls, on curtains, in fact, pretty much anywhere. Currently in the community <0.01% of recorded cases of S. aureus infection are MRSA. In hospital the figure is 40%. Between 1993 and 1997, the % of S. aureus infection that was MRSA went from 6% to 30% and between 1997 and today it has gone from 30% to 40%. The other countries in europe that have lower figures began fighting it in the early 90's and so never got to the high levels we have. The jump from 6 to 30% is much more significant than from 30-40%. The nature of bacteria biology is such that at 6% it is easily defeated, but at 30 keeping it down is very difficult.

Which government was in power when we privatised the cleaning? Which government was in power when the figures went from 6% to 30%?

The length of time it takes to explain all this is why these posters are such good politics: The poster takes 10 seconds to read. Furthermore the poster is covering a lie with a question. Good politics but morally wrong.

2. Conservative Party Poster

quote:
" It's not racist to impose limits on immigration "

This poster is strictly correct but they are appealing to prejudice by saying it. And our economy desperately need immigrants. The image that our country is being swamped by immigrants and asylum seekers is totally false but widely believed.

Good politics but morally wrong.

3. Michael Howard on travellers
Who removed the duty on councils to provide sites?
And linking the issue to the Human Rights Act. It's ludicrous, but people believe. And partly at fault for this are the news organisations. Only Channel 4 news put up an expert to explain that the link was spurious.

4. The Mrs Dixon case
To try and suggest on the basis of this that the NHS is terrible is offensive.
The reason for her delay was not lack of surgeon or theatre time but she needs an ITU bed. And to suggest that the Tory policy of helping people to go private would help is a down-right lie. No private hospital would touch this case. Because of her other conditions, to have what is a relatively simple operation she needs an ITU bed; how many ITU beds are there in the private sector?

Sounds like Anne Widecombe was right after all...(However, coming from 'Doris Karloff', that's a bit rich!).

Only one more day to go! The Dear Leader would dearly love Iraq to go away but it won't. I think quite a few will vote LibDem tomorrow because they can't stand Bliar or Howard. I hope we have a hung Parliament.

The trouble is that one's vote in our current elctoral system only really counts in the marginal seats (Americans: think Florida and Ohio and I hope you get my drift). The sooner we get Proportional Representation the better.

Yours in Christ

Matt

Noel's angel

LibDem in government- not a chance. Their leader is non-descript, loves the beer a bit too much and never talks about any real policies, 'We think this should be better' HOW ARE YOU GONNA DO IT??? Don't vote LibDem cause you don't like Blair, vote for Labour on its policies.

Proportional representation throws up its own problems though-just look at Northern Ireland.

Matt Black

I don't agree with Labour's policies either so I'm scarcely likely to vote for them. Blair is in the process of ripping up our constitution and eliminating our ancient liberties in the name of 'national security'. No way does he get my vote.

Yours in Christ

Matt

Noel's angel

ahh well, doesn't matter cause Labour will win anyway-i just wish Paul Murphy was PM

little_angel202

our consevative MP is against abortion so guess who my parents will be voting for??? ^_^

Noel's angel

lol. Over here, it's all about religion. Catholics vote Sinn Fein or SDLP, Protestants vote DUP or UUP. Then Alliance get those who aren't any denomination lol

argent_paladin

What I'd hoped would happen, has happened. Labor wins, but not unbloodied. Although I would have loved a hung parliament. i am wondering if this three party situation is sustainable. I suspect not.

Matt Black

I wanted a hung Parliament too. I think it is ludicrous that the Dear Leader has won a third term with just 36% of the vote. So much for democracy!

Yours in Christ

Matt

Noel's angel

NORTHERN IRELAND IS THE BIG STORY THOUGH. David Trimble lost his seat and the UUP have done worse than expected- it's the DUP's year