An Old School Catholic Message Board

Future Priest Support Group

the_rev

Hey,

This is long overdue. There has been a future nun support group for so long, we need one for future priests.

This is a place where we can come and rant about the criticism we get at school for being religious, or a place to come and share about updates in your journey.

[quote]For the times when things get hard and you want to talk to people in the same boat
Just thought I'd leave it here for your needs!
[/quote]

Let the happy talk begin! :D

How hard is it for you to pray before meals? When you're in the dorm, when you're with friends, when you're out to eat, when you're on a date, and even when you're with family.

It's mostly easy for me, except on some occasions when I'm out with friends. I don't like praying before meals if my family is present, my parents especially, and they don't pray.

I have this weird thing, I don't want to appear to be upping them up somehow, or look too much like I'm going to be a priest.

Paphnutius

Such occasions are an opportunity for you to show others who have similiar feelings not to be afraid. It is a really catchy thing to do. Once people see a few doing it, it becomes easier for them. Keep doing it.

And to answer your question: Here at the seminary you get bad looks if you dont pray before meals so it has become second nature to do it anywhere regardless of place or company.

Hmm... You're right.

I guess I just have a bigger problem trying not to appear too religious in front of my parents. I don't know why, but I try to keep from them any personal details about my spiritual life. Not sure why... Does anyone have the same problem?

I think it might be how everyone has always said that I would be a priest and I just try to act like I am not on the straight track, especially in front of my parents. I don't know...

Either way, I'm only a freshman in college. Right now I'm called to be the best college student and son I can be, right? I was advised that around junior or senior year I should start seriously thinking about vocation to the priesthood.

I mean, not to say I'm not seriously thinking about it now, it's just that we have to be careful that we aren't living in the future, wondering and worrying about what we'll do later in life. We have to live in the present, because, God forbid, if we get cancer or die in a couple months, it's not about what we wanted to be but who we were then. Not that we should care what other people think, but, we have to be present.

Edited by Antonius

Paphnutius

[quote name='Antonius' date='May 3 2005, 10:00 PM'] I think it might be how everyone has always said that I would be a priest and I just try to act like I am not on the straight track, especially in front of my parents. I don't know...
[/quote]
Ok let me let you in on a very big help that one of my good friends told me: Just be you. God made you who you are, and you should not have to change that for anyone. If you are spiritual and pious let it shine! Was it St. Francis that said, "Always preach the Gospel, and when necessary, use words." If your parents ask you about your spiritual life, it gives you a chance to bring them closer to Christ. That is what you will be doing if you, God willing, become a priest someday. Be a bridge for others to Christ.

[quote] Not sure why...  Does anyone have the same problem?[/quote]

I know of many that share that same question. I think it is because spirituality is often something so personal at first, but as it grows, it becomes something that you cannot contain within yourself but will want to share it with all you meet. Give your faith time to mature and grow, and when the time is right, things will happen.

[quote]Either way, I'm only a freshman in college. [/quote]

And I am a sophomore in college. There is no, "I am only a..." You are and be proud of it. When I wrote my bishop to start talking about seminary, I said I am only 17, and he said that same thing.

[quote]I was advised that around junior or senior year I should start seriously thinking about vocation to the priesthood.[/quote]

Continue to watch and pray. That is what is asked of us. Watch and pray.

Wow, very true, very true, Paph. Thanks.

I hope this thread continues to be useful.

Watch and pray, watch and pray... Yes, yes!

Also, we must remember that in the Gospels, Jesus often told people to go somewhere and wait. You know? Go into town and wait. Go into the upper room and wait. The angel told Joseph to go into Egypt and wait.

I will patiently and prayerfully wait... Though I do think He's told me to go to college and wait. "Wait" doesn't mean sit around. We need to make sure we have enough oil in our lamps, right?

Paphnutius

[quote name='Antonius' date='May 3 2005, 10:25 PM'] I will patiently and prayerfully wait... Though I do think He's told me to go to college and wait. "Wait" doesn't mean sit around. We need to make sure we have enough oil in our lamps, right? [/quote]
That is the plan. It has been brought up here many times before, but I always find it useful to reflect on Christ's "hidden" life. He waited almost 30 years for 3 years of ministry. God will often take us to the sidelines and coach us for a while before putting us into play, but when we get out on that field, what a difference we make! If Jesus was able to wait so long before He was able to go out and bring others closer to God, who are we to be impaitent? Wait, pray, but never take your eyes off of Him.

My parents are convinced I'm going to get cronically ill when I join the religious life because the schedule is too hard for me. The thing is, I won't stay if my body can't handle it because GRACE BUILDS ON NATURE.

I have a pre-disposition to diabetes and I had it when I was a kid. I don't anymore but if I take on the lifestyle of a religious, which is harsh, then it might bring it back. EXCEPT if God wants me to join it doesn't matter if I get diabetes or not, because it may be the necessary suffering for me to carry out my vocation.

JMJ.

• 2 weeks later...
Catholictothecore

How do you guys feel when you think about vocations and also catch yourself thinking about girls?

I don't really get an oppurunity to show my faith to a lot of people. I'm kinda buried in the country, and besides, it's rather anti-Catholic here. sigh.

Paphnutius

[quote name='Catholictothecore' date='May 16 2005, 03:42 PM'] How do you guys feel when you think about vocations and also catch yourself thinking about girls?
[/quote]
Can you be a little more specific? Are you asking if expereince a conflict? Feel guilty? Something else?

Catholictothecore

Like, when I catch myself thinking of girls, it's like...I feel guilty, yes. It's hard, every guy knows that. I mean, do you feel the guilt of any sin of thought (going out on a limb here) a little more accutely because of the vocation you may have? I know I do....I've struggled with girls before, and I still sometimes catch myself thinking of her. I feel like an absolute......jerk-heel-many, many, many other bad names.

Paphnutius

[quote name='Catholictothecore' date='May 17 2005, 05:04 PM'] Like, when I catch myself thinking of girls, it's like...I feel guilty, yes. It's hard, every guy knows that. I mean, do you feel the guilt of any sin of thought (going out on a limb here) a little more accutely because of the vocation you may have? I know I do....I've struggled with girls before, and I still sometimes catch myself thinking of her. I feel like an absolute......jerk-heel-many, many, many other bad names. [/quote]
I dont thik that you should feel guilty because you are thinking about girls (unless of course it is lustful). What you should do is cultivate an interrior peace when thinking about your vocation. Pray often and always ask for the Holy Spirit's guidance in your thoughts. Pay attention to what you think about and where you feel like you are headed. It is not wrong to think about girls as long as it is within the context of, "Is marriage my vocation?" If you do feel guilty, ask yourself why and then discuss it with your pastor or your spiritual director.

Catholictothecore

my problem is that daydreaming has always been a big problem of mine. I think I've got a but more maturing to do before I can really think of that. It's like, I see my parents, and I can see how awesome their love is. A holy marriage is so....amazing. Read my first post in the marriage thread to get an idea.

Paphnutius

[quote name='Catholictothecore' date='May 17 2005, 06:26 PM'] my problem is that daydreaming has always been a big problem of mine. I think I've got a but more maturing to do before I can really think of that. It's like, I see my parents, and I can see how awesome their love is. A holy marriage is so....amazing. Read my first post in the marriage thread to get an idea. [/quote]
A bit of a personal question if you do not mind, but what grade are you in? If you are younger than a junior in high school then you do have some time to think about it. A good deal of time.

Yes a holy marriage is indeed an awesome thing, both between a man and a woman, and between a priest and his Church. Like I said, cultivate that interrior peace through prayer and listen to the promptings of the Spirit; He will guide you.